RE: [NTO] Word processor formatting code

  • John Wallace
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
      I think it's for the 'Enter' key on the computer.
      Probably means new line or carriage return?

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
        On 7/18/2012 9:33 AM, John Wallace wrote:
        > I think it's for the 'Enter' key on the computer.
        > Probably means new line or carriage return?

        Yep.
        That's it.
        Thanks,
        -Mike
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
          Hi Mike,

          On 18 Jul 12 14:55 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          <mike@...> said:
          > > I think it's for the 'Enter' key on the computer.
          > > Probably means new line or carriage return?

          There's no OR about it! The difference in paragraph and line end
          symbols is highly significant!

          For reasons lost in word processing history, unlike a typewriter, the
          default action of a word processor when hitting the carriage return
          key is the insert an "end of paragraph" code into a document.

          Paragraphs are a vitally important concept within word processing (or
          web design) because they can be styled as a distinct block of text.

          It is a huge disadvantage to the modern word processor operator that
          to help old fashioned typists, when word processors were first
          introduced, that the default setting for paragraph styling in word
          processors is to have no line space above. This allowed typists to do
          their traditional thing and hit the carriage return twice when they
          wanted a new paragraph.

          For the modern user this has the major disadvantage that it leaves an
          empty paragraph following every paragraph. (In some ways it was an
          understandable decision when only daisy wheel printers were available
          and playing with fonts, font-size and other features of the modern
          word processor didn't exist.) The bent arrow symbol is indeed an "end
          of line" mark as distinct from an "end of paragraph" and it is a very
          useful feature.

          For example, when constructing a letterhead, you might want the
          address to be styled as a single block of text, instead of five or six
          separate paragraphs. Hitting SHIFT-CR on any modern word processor
          will insert a new line code and allows the block of text to be treated
          as a single paragraph - which it surely is, in any semantic sense.

          There's one other (these days, standard) keystroke that is equally
          vital for any word processor operator to know and that is CTRL-CR
          which inserts an "end of page" code in the document.

          NoteTab does recognise the CTRL-CR keystroke to insert an "end of
          page" mark, but paragraphs are an alien concept to a text editor, so
          it only only inserts "end of line" codes when you hit the CR key (the
          same as it does when hitting SHIFT-CR).

          Greg
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
            Hi Greg,
            Thanks for you insight into this.

            This cropped up when I composed and email in Thunderbird and then pasted
            it into MS Word.
            This replaced all the paragraph codes with the line break code.

            If I first paste into NT then copy and paste from NT into Word, this
            does not happen. But, of coarse I lose any styling or hyperlinks by
            doing this.

            You point about what a paragraph is I had not really thought much about.
            I just do what I think is appropriate, but I will think more about what
            a paragraph actually is and start thinking more about using line breaks
            where appropriate.
            -Mike