Word processor formatting code

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
      This link:
      http://wildwonderfulwv.us/2012/format_code/
      has a screen shot of a formatting code from MS Word.
      It is a "bent arrow".

      Can anyone tell me what this is, what it does and if it is needed?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
        Op 18/07/2012 15:08, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV schreef:

        > http://wildwonderfulwv.us/2012/format_code/
        > has a screen shot of a formatting code from MS Word.
        > It is a "bent arrow".
        >
        > Can anyone tell me what this is, what it does and if it is needed?

        You can that turn off, or on, somewhere in options. Normally you do not
        need it.
        --
        Adrien
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
          On 7/18/2012 9:25 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
          > Op 18/07/2012 15:08, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV schreef:
          >
          > > http://wildwonderfulwv.us/2012/format_code/
          > > has a screen shot of a formatting code from MS Word.
          > > It is a "bent arrow".
          > > Can anyone tell me what this is, what it does and if it is needed?
          >
          > You can that turn off, or on, somewhere in options. Normally you do not
          > need it.

          I realize I can hide/reveal the formatting codes.
          My question is: what is this particular code for?
          Thanks,
          -Mike
        • John Wallace
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
            I think it's for the 'Enter' key on the computer.
            Probably means new line or carriage return?

            _____

            On 7/18/2012 9:25 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
            > Op 18/07/2012 15:08, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV schreef:
            >
            > > http://wildwonderfulwv.us/2012/format_code/
            > > has a screen shot of a formatting code from MS Word.
            > > It is a "bent arrow".
            > > Can anyone tell me what this is, what it does and if it is needed?
            >
            > You can that turn off, or on, somewhere in options. Normally you do not
            > need it.

            I realize I can hide/reveal the formatting codes.
            My question is: what is this particular code for?
            Thanks,
            -Mike

          • Don
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
              Appears to be a return. If you type a bunch of long text it
              distinguishes when there is a real return vs word wrapped text for space
              I think.

              You have hidden characters revealed and a return character (or line feed
              and return) is what is showing there.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
                On 7/18/2012 9:33 AM, John Wallace wrote:
                > I think it's for the 'Enter' key on the computer.
                > Probably means new line or carriage return?

                Yep.
                That's it.
                Thanks,
                -Mike
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
                  Hi Mike,

                  On 18 Jul 12 14:55 Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  <mike@...> said:
                  > > I think it's for the 'Enter' key on the computer.
                  > > Probably means new line or carriage return?

                  There's no OR about it! The difference in paragraph and line end
                  symbols is highly significant!

                  For reasons lost in word processing history, unlike a typewriter, the
                  default action of a word processor when hitting the carriage return
                  key is the insert an "end of paragraph" code into a document.

                  Paragraphs are a vitally important concept within word processing (or
                  web design) because they can be styled as a distinct block of text.

                  It is a huge disadvantage to the modern word processor operator that
                  to help old fashioned typists, when word processors were first
                  introduced, that the default setting for paragraph styling in word
                  processors is to have no line space above. This allowed typists to do
                  their traditional thing and hit the carriage return twice when they
                  wanted a new paragraph.

                  For the modern user this has the major disadvantage that it leaves an
                  empty paragraph following every paragraph. (In some ways it was an
                  understandable decision when only daisy wheel printers were available
                  and playing with fonts, font-size and other features of the modern
                  word processor didn't exist.) The bent arrow symbol is indeed an "end
                  of line" mark as distinct from an "end of paragraph" and it is a very
                  useful feature.

                  For example, when constructing a letterhead, you might want the
                  address to be styled as a single block of text, instead of five or six
                  separate paragraphs. Hitting SHIFT-CR on any modern word processor
                  will insert a new line code and allows the block of text to be treated
                  as a single paragraph - which it surely is, in any semantic sense.

                  There's one other (these days, standard) keystroke that is equally
                  vital for any word processor operator to know and that is CTRL-CR
                  which inserts an "end of page" code in the document.

                  NoteTab does recognise the CTRL-CR keystroke to insert an "end of
                  page" mark, but paragraphs are an alien concept to a text editor, so
                  it only only inserts "end of line" codes when you hit the CR key (the
                  same as it does when hitting SHIFT-CR).

                  Greg
                • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 18, 2012
                    Hi Greg,
                    Thanks for you insight into this.

                    This cropped up when I composed and email in Thunderbird and then pasted
                    it into MS Word.
                    This replaced all the paragraph codes with the line break code.

                    If I first paste into NT then copy and paste from NT into Word, this
                    does not happen. But, of coarse I lose any styling or hyperlinks by
                    doing this.

                    You point about what a paragraph is I had not really thought much about.
                    I just do what I think is appropriate, but I will think more about what
                    a paragraph actually is and start thinking more about using line breaks
                    where appropriate.
                    -Mike