Re: [NTO] Huge File Size in MS Word

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
      Hi Dave,

      That's it!

      When I examined the file sizes of the graphics, I did so by saving the DOC
      file as a *filtered* web page. That caused all the graphics to be reduced
      in size. After seeing your message, I saved the DOC file as an ordinary
      (not filtered) web page. By using the second method, I can see that the
      size of the image of the Helix Nebula is over 18MB.

      Many thanks!

      Ray Shapp

    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
        Hi Axel,

        <<Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and using
        > other programs?>>

        Yes. After Dave called my attention to the image of the Helix Nebula on
        page 1 of the Word file, I right-clicked on the image then selected "Format
        Picture". At the bottom of the "Size" tab, one can see the "Original size"
        is 4000x4000.

        Before I asked my question, I used the "save as web page" technique to get
        a quick look at all the images in the DOC file. My error was in using
        the *filtered
        *web page option. Until today, I wasn't really aware of what "filtered"
        means in this context.

        Thank you both for your help.

        Ray Shapp