Re: [NTO] Huge File Size in MS Word

  • Adrien Verlee
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
      Op 17/02/2012 15:46, Axel Berger schreef:

      > this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from

      @Ray
      One: you can ask to save in rtf (I think this should be smaller);
      Two: Why not ask to learn Markdown, and from markwdown to html.

      > and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
      > longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

      @Axel
      It is an organisational problem. You make the criteria, otherwise no
      bulletin!

      ... but yes... I'm wonder how many people know, these days, what - for
      example - plain text is.
      I can say thoussand times: no html-mail, they still sending it.
      --
      Adrien
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
        Hi Dave,

        That's it!

        When I examined the file sizes of the graphics, I did so by saving the DOC
        file as a *filtered* web page. That caused all the graphics to be reduced
        in size. After seeing your message, I saved the DOC file as an ordinary
        (not filtered) web page. By using the second method, I can see that the
        size of the image of the Helix Nebula is over 18MB.

        Many thanks!

        Ray Shapp

      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
          Hi Axel,

          <<Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and using
          > other programs?>>

          Yes. After Dave called my attention to the image of the Helix Nebula on
          page 1 of the Word file, I right-clicked on the image then selected "Format
          Picture". At the bottom of the "Size" tab, one can see the "Original size"
          is 4000x4000.

          Before I asked my question, I used the "save as web page" technique to get
          a quick look at all the images in the DOC file. My error was in using
          the *filtered
          *web page option. Until today, I wasn't really aware of what "filtered"
          means in this context.

          Thank you both for your help.

          Ray Shapp