Re: [NTO] Huge File Size in MS Word

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
      Dave wrote:
      > right click on image and copy into irfanview

      That's what gave me those 300 by 300 pixels, seemingly the current
      screen resolution. Word 2002 out of Office 2003.

      Axel
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
        Hi
        I would guess that doc would save a small image as the designer wants but
        the real size is hidden until it is saved, just like the old netscape days
        that you gave the user the choose small or big download image.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
          Dave wrote:
          > is hidden until it is saved,

          Yes, but Ray's document was already saved. Copying from OpenOffice you
          don't get what you see but what's there, in this case an image big
          enough to crash my machine (Irfanview on Win98 with 512 MB total RAM has
          this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from
          me.

          As Ray has no real choice over his tools but is forced to accept what
          and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
          longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

          Axel
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
            Op 17/02/2012 15:46, Axel Berger schreef:

            > this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from

            @Ray
            One: you can ask to save in rtf (I think this should be smaller);
            Two: Why not ask to learn Markdown, and from markwdown to html.

            > and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
            > longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

            @Axel
            It is an organisational problem. You make the criteria, otherwise no
            bulletin!

            ... but yes... I'm wonder how many people know, these days, what - for
            example - plain text is.
            I can say thoussand times: no html-mail, they still sending it.
            --
            Adrien
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
              Hi Dave,

              That's it!

              When I examined the file sizes of the graphics, I did so by saving the DOC
              file as a *filtered* web page. That caused all the graphics to be reduced
              in size. After seeing your message, I saved the DOC file as an ordinary
              (not filtered) web page. By using the second method, I can see that the
              size of the image of the Helix Nebula is over 18MB.

              Many thanks!

              Ray Shapp

            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                Hi Axel,

                <<Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and using
                > other programs?>>

                Yes. After Dave called my attention to the image of the Helix Nebula on
                page 1 of the Word file, I right-clicked on the image then selected "Format
                Picture". At the bottom of the "Size" tab, one can see the "Original size"
                is 4000x4000.

                Before I asked my question, I used the "save as web page" technique to get
                a quick look at all the images in the DOC file. My error was in using
                the *filtered
                *web page option. Until today, I wasn't really aware of what "filtered"
                means in this context.

                Thank you both for your help.

                Ray Shapp