Re: [NTO] Huge File Size in MS Word

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
      Dave wrote:
      > the reason is the image above this line 4000x4000 pixels,
      > a good 10meg

      Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and
      using other programs?

      Danke

      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
        Dave wrote:
        > right click on image and copy into irfanview

        That's what gave me those 300 by 300 pixels, seemingly the current
        screen resolution. Word 2002 out of Office 2003.

        Axel
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
          Hi
          I would guess that doc would save a small image as the designer wants but
          the real size is hidden until it is saved, just like the old netscape days
          that you gave the user the choose small or big download image.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
            Dave wrote:
            > is hidden until it is saved,

            Yes, but Ray's document was already saved. Copying from OpenOffice you
            don't get what you see but what's there, in this case an image big
            enough to crash my machine (Irfanview on Win98 with 512 MB total RAM has
            this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from
            me.

            As Ray has no real choice over his tools but is forced to accept what
            and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
            longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

            Axel
          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
              Op 17/02/2012 15:46, Axel Berger schreef:

              > this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from

              @Ray
              One: you can ask to save in rtf (I think this should be smaller);
              Two: Why not ask to learn Markdown, and from markwdown to html.

              > and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
              > longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

              @Axel
              It is an organisational problem. You make the criteria, otherwise no
              bulletin!

              ... but yes... I'm wonder how many people know, these days, what - for
              example - plain text is.
              I can say thoussand times: no html-mail, they still sending it.
              --
              Adrien
            • Ray Shapp
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                Hi Dave,

                That's it!

                When I examined the file sizes of the graphics, I did so by saving the DOC
                file as a *filtered* web page. That caused all the graphics to be reduced
                in size. After seeing your message, I saved the DOC file as an ordinary
                (not filtered) web page. By using the second method, I can see that the
                size of the image of the Helix Nebula is over 18MB.

                Many thanks!

                Ray Shapp

              • Ray Shapp
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                  Hi Axel,

                  <<Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and using
                  > other programs?>>

                  Yes. After Dave called my attention to the image of the Helix Nebula on
                  page 1 of the Word file, I right-clicked on the image then selected "Format
                  Picture". At the bottom of the "Size" tab, one can see the "Original size"
                  is 4000x4000.

                  Before I asked my question, I used the "save as web page" technique to get
                  a quick look at all the images in the DOC file. My error was in using
                  the *filtered
                  *web page option. Until today, I wasn't really aware of what "filtered"
                  means in this context.

                  Thank you both for your help.

                  Ray Shapp