Re: [NTO] Huge File Size in MS Word

    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > I examined all the graphics. A total of 25 graphics use only 376KB.

      Word hides things from you. I copied the astronomy picture from the
      title page out of the Word from Office 2003 and it seems to be (not
      quite) 300 by 300 pixels. Printing from Word using the Acrobat PDF
      writer from Acrobat 5.0 (full version, not reader) the image gets
      brokem. Saving as Word 97 yields 46 MB, saving as Open Office 2.4 ODT
      yields 19 MB. The sizes of the two PDF, Acrobat from Winword and export
      from OpenOffice are 5.5 and 6.5 MB.

      In both cases the astronomy picture, extracted with pdfimages, is 4000 x
      4000 pixels, the broken one 4.5 MB and the correct one 5.5 MB as Jpeg 90
      %.

      So that picture on the title page is a) huge and b) probably encoded in
      a funny way that OpenOffice can deal with and Acrobat can't. I've no
      idea why Word hides the true size from us, but I'm not surprised. Seems
      like copying from Word gives you not what's in there but only the
      current screen resolution.

      PDF export from Office 24 with image reduction to 300 dpi and embedding
      as Jpeg 90% yields a file of 1.4 MB. As often happens the import from
      word is not perfect, the page break after page one is broken and I have
      not bothered to repair that.

      Thanks for confirming all my prejudices about Microsoft Word again. A
      fellow student of mine took over a week to convert her finished, printed
      and accepted master theses to PDF as requested by the professor and that
      PDF too does very funny things with the emebedded images.

      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
        Hi
        forgot to say right click on image and copy into irfanview and you will see
        it think for a while and then show file as last email 4000x4000 pixels
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
          Dave wrote:
          > the reason is the image above this line 4000x4000 pixels,
          > a good 10meg

          Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and
          using other programs?

          Danke

          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
            Dave wrote:
            > right click on image and copy into irfanview

            That's what gave me those 300 by 300 pixels, seemingly the current
            screen resolution. Word 2002 out of Office 2003.

            Axel
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
              Hi
              I would guess that doc would save a small image as the designer wants but
              the real size is hidden until it is saved, just like the old netscape days
              that you gave the user the choose small or big download image.
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                Dave wrote:
                > is hidden until it is saved,

                Yes, but Ray's document was already saved. Copying from OpenOffice you
                don't get what you see but what's there, in this case an image big
                enough to crash my machine (Irfanview on Win98 with 512 MB total RAM has
                this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from
                me.

                As Ray has no real choice over his tools but is forced to accept what
                and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
                longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

                Axel
              • Adrien Verlee
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                  Op 17/02/2012 15:46, Axel Berger schreef:

                  > this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from

                  @Ray
                  One: you can ask to save in rtf (I think this should be smaller);
                  Two: Why not ask to learn Markdown, and from markwdown to html.

                  > and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
                  > longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

                  @Axel
                  It is an organisational problem. You make the criteria, otherwise no
                  bulletin!

                  ... but yes... I'm wonder how many people know, these days, what - for
                  example - plain text is.
                  I can say thoussand times: no html-mail, they still sending it.
                  --
                  Adrien
                • Ray Shapp
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                    Hi Dave,

                    That's it!

                    When I examined the file sizes of the graphics, I did so by saving the DOC
                    file as a *filtered* web page. That caused all the graphics to be reduced
                    in size. After seeing your message, I saved the DOC file as an ordinary
                    (not filtered) web page. By using the second method, I can see that the
                    size of the image of the Helix Nebula is over 18MB.

                    Many thanks!

                    Ray Shapp

                  • Ray Shapp
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                      Hi Axel,

                      <<Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and using
                      > other programs?>>

                      Yes. After Dave called my attention to the image of the Helix Nebula on
                      page 1 of the Word file, I right-clicked on the image then selected "Format
                      Picture". At the bottom of the "Size" tab, one can see the "Original size"
                      is 4000x4000.

                      Before I asked my question, I used the "save as web page" technique to get
                      a quick look at all the images in the DOC file. My error was in using
                      the *filtered
                      *web page option. Until today, I wasn't really aware of what "filtered"
                      means in this context.

                      Thank you both for your help.

                      Ray Shapp