Re: [NTO] Huge File Size in MS Word

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
      Hi
      tried the dropbox free ,could not find it , turn on your hidden codes doc,s
      are notoriously big due to formatting and you may have hidden image as well.
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
        Hi Dave,

        Thanks for the reply.

        I don't think I have any hidden graphics because I saved the DOC file as a
        web page with HTM extension. That creates a separate folder containing all
        the graphics. I saw 25 graphics totalling 376KB.

        Reveal codes doesn't show anything unusual that I can see.

        I don't know why you were unable to log in to my account on Dropbox. Click
        the "login" link in the upper right corner of the Dropbox page and use the
        credentials I sent earlier:
        > https://www.dropbox.com/
        >
        > Name: Ray Shapp
        > Email: rayshapp@...
        >
        > I temporarily changed the password to *2012-02-asterism* (notice all
        > lower case.
        Thanks again.

        Ray Shapp

        On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 6:47 AM, Dave <dmc43959@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi
        > tried the dropbox free ,could not find it , turn on your hidden codes
        > doc,s
        > are notoriously big due to formatting and you may have hidden image as
        > well.
        > THANKYOU DAVE M

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
          Hi
          the reason is the image above this line 4000x4000 pixels , a good 10meg
          ,the image you see is just a smaller file
          "Illustration courtesy: ESO/VISTA/J. Emerson; Cambridge Astronomical Survey
          Unit"

          THANKYOU DAVE M

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > I examined all the graphics. A total of 25 graphics use only 376KB.

            Word hides things from you. I copied the astronomy picture from the
            title page out of the Word from Office 2003 and it seems to be (not
            quite) 300 by 300 pixels. Printing from Word using the Acrobat PDF
            writer from Acrobat 5.0 (full version, not reader) the image gets
            brokem. Saving as Word 97 yields 46 MB, saving as Open Office 2.4 ODT
            yields 19 MB. The sizes of the two PDF, Acrobat from Winword and export
            from OpenOffice are 5.5 and 6.5 MB.

            In both cases the astronomy picture, extracted with pdfimages, is 4000 x
            4000 pixels, the broken one 4.5 MB and the correct one 5.5 MB as Jpeg 90
            %.

            So that picture on the title page is a) huge and b) probably encoded in
            a funny way that OpenOffice can deal with and Acrobat can't. I've no
            idea why Word hides the true size from us, but I'm not surprised. Seems
            like copying from Word gives you not what's in there but only the
            current screen resolution.

            PDF export from Office 24 with image reduction to 300 dpi and embedding
            as Jpeg 90% yields a file of 1.4 MB. As often happens the import from
            word is not perfect, the page break after page one is broken and I have
            not bothered to repair that.

            Thanks for confirming all my prejudices about Microsoft Word again. A
            fellow student of mine took over a week to convert her finished, printed
            and accepted master theses to PDF as requested by the professor and that
            PDF too does very funny things with the emebedded images.

            Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
              Hi
              forgot to say right click on image and copy into irfanview and you will see
              it think for a while and then show file as last email 4000x4000 pixels
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                Dave wrote:
                > the reason is the image above this line 4000x4000 pixels,
                > a good 10meg

                Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and
                using other programs?

                Danke

                Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                  Dave wrote:
                  > right click on image and copy into irfanview

                  That's what gave me those 300 by 300 pixels, seemingly the current
                  screen resolution. Word 2002 out of Office 2003.

                  Axel
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                    Hi
                    I would guess that doc would save a small image as the designer wants but
                    the real size is hidden until it is saved, just like the old netscape days
                    that you gave the user the choose small or big download image.
                    THANKYOU DAVE M

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                      Dave wrote:
                      > is hidden until it is saved,

                      Yes, but Ray's document was already saved. Copying from OpenOffice you
                      don't get what you see but what's there, in this case an image big
                      enough to crash my machine (Irfanview on Win98 with 512 MB total RAM has
                      this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from
                      me.

                      As Ray has no real choice over his tools but is forced to accept what
                      and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
                      longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

                      Axel
                    • Adrien Verlee
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                        Op 17/02/2012 15:46, Axel Berger schreef:

                        > this nasty limit). Word also has the full image, but withholds it from

                        @Ray
                        One: you can ask to save in rtf (I think this should be smaller);
                        Two: Why not ask to learn Markdown, and from markwdown to html.

                        > and how it is offered to him, he has my full sympathy. I'm glad I'm no
                        > longer editing the local liberal party bulletins.

                        @Axel
                        It is an organisational problem. You make the criteria, otherwise no
                        bulletin!

                        ... but yes... I'm wonder how many people know, these days, what - for
                        example - plain text is.
                        I can say thoussand times: no html-mail, they still sending it.
                        --
                        Adrien
                      • Ray Shapp
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                          Hi Dave,

                          That's it!

                          When I examined the file sizes of the graphics, I did so by saving the DOC
                          file as a *filtered* web page. That caused all the graphics to be reduced
                          in size. After seeing your message, I saved the DOC file as an ordinary
                          (not filtered) web page. By using the second method, I can see that the
                          size of the image of the Helix Nebula is over 18MB.

                          Many thanks!

                          Ray Shapp

                        • Ray Shapp
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 17, 2012
                            Hi Axel,

                            <<Is there a way to see that in Winword itself without converting and using
                            > other programs?>>

                            Yes. After Dave called my attention to the image of the Helix Nebula on
                            page 1 of the Word file, I right-clicked on the image then selected "Format
                            Picture". At the bottom of the "Size" tab, one can see the "Original size"
                            is 4000x4000.

                            Before I asked my question, I used the "save as web page" technique to get
                            a quick look at all the images in the DOC file. My error was in using
                            the *filtered
                            *web page option. Until today, I wasn't really aware of what "filtered"
                            means in this context.

                            Thank you both for your help.

                            Ray Shapp