Re: [NTO] Create Universally Readable PDFs

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
      Hi Axel,

      <<Could you make the original DOC available?>>

      The original DOC file is now available at:

      www.asterism.org/events/Mars
      2012-03-10.doc<http://www.asterism.org/events/Mars%202012-03-10.doc>

      File size is 1.1MB. Please LMK when you have downloaded it because I want
      to remove it from the website.

      Please note that this document was produced by one of the club members who
      will be presenting a lecture at the event. It is not my original work. I
      avoided making any except the most necessary changes before posting. Some
      authors have* less than full appreciation* for my help!

      Ray Shapp

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > File size is 1.1MB.

        This is one more example that Docs don't travel, it looks much different
        from your original here, mostly due to a lack of fonts. Copying the
        image I find it is clearly blown up from a much smaller one (seemingly
        by a factor of five). That author is obviously (searching for an
        acceptable euphemism) less than an expert in document creation. He may
        have picked up that graphics ought to be 300 dpi or more and has not
        grasped that just blowing up a raster image does not raise the true
        resolution one bit.

        Even so, opening the Doc in OpenOffice and saving as PDF, changing
        nothing except specifying embedding images as 90 % quality Jpeg (at 90 %
        artefacts stay invisible to me) I come up with a PDF version 1.4 of file
        size 165 kB.

        I recommend ditching PDF creator and going for Open Office.

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
          Hi Axel and others,

          On your advice, I have installed Open Office 3.

          Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer. Text boxes overlap.
          The graphic is not centered. Other details that I don't see yet may have
          changed. Such distortions will be a big problem for me because I receive
          Word documents from many sources for posting on the website. Also, the
          style for showing "tracked changes" differs greatly from the Microsoft
          convention. Most of my authors use various versions of Word.

          I am impressed, however, by the huge saving of file space in the exported
          PDF. It is a ten to one reduction from the original Word document and a
          five to one savings compared to the PDF I had produced using PDF creator. I
          wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most current Adobe
          Reader and earlier versions of it going back at least as far as version 6.

          <<That author is obviously (searching for an acceptable euphemism) less
          > than an expert in document creation>>

          To be charitable, I'll say he is well versed in planetary science.

          I hope no one objects to this extended conversation on this Y! group.

          Again, thank you for your help.

          Ray Shapp

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer.
            > Text boxes overlap. The graphic is not centered.

            Yes, it's an exceptionally bad case. Mostly documents can be read
            without flaws, but Word is known for that problem even between different
            Word installations, sometimes a different installed printer suffices. I
            tried Microsoft Office 2003 just now, and while better it does not
            render like your PDF.

            Doc is a raw format for work in progress, no exchange format for
            finished documents, but Microsoft users will never get that.

            > I wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most
            > current Adobe Reader and earlier versions of it going back at
            > least as far as version 6.

            An unqualified yes. It's version 1.4 for Readers 5 and up and I've never
            found OO-written pdfs to give any trouble in any reader. The same is not
            true for one generated by Adobe programs, like Microsoft they don't feel
            much bound by their own documented standards.

            Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68