Re: [NTO] Create Universally Readable PDFs

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > he downloaded about 600KB.

      Ah well, that leads me back to my other side remark. Try another PDF
      writer, OpenOffice is not bad and reads Word.doc.

      Looking closely your Mars image originally was rather small and low
      resolution to begin with, I'd guess something less than 40 kB. It ought
      not to add more than its original size to the resulting PDF. Could you
      make the original DOC available?

      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
    • Ray Shapp
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
        Hi Axel,

        <<Could you make the original DOC available?>>

        The original DOC file is now available at:

        www.asterism.org/events/Mars
        2012-03-10.doc<http://www.asterism.org/events/Mars%202012-03-10.doc>

        File size is 1.1MB. Please LMK when you have downloaded it because I want
        to remove it from the website.

        Please note that this document was produced by one of the club members who
        will be presenting a lecture at the event. It is not my original work. I
        avoided making any except the most necessary changes before posting. Some
        authors have* less than full appreciation* for my help!

        Ray Shapp

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > File size is 1.1MB.

          This is one more example that Docs don't travel, it looks much different
          from your original here, mostly due to a lack of fonts. Copying the
          image I find it is clearly blown up from a much smaller one (seemingly
          by a factor of five). That author is obviously (searching for an
          acceptable euphemism) less than an expert in document creation. He may
          have picked up that graphics ought to be 300 dpi or more and has not
          grasped that just blowing up a raster image does not raise the true
          resolution one bit.

          Even so, opening the Doc in OpenOffice and saving as PDF, changing
          nothing except specifying embedding images as 90 % quality Jpeg (at 90 %
          artefacts stay invisible to me) I come up with a PDF version 1.4 of file
          size 165 kB.

          I recommend ditching PDF creator and going for Open Office.

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
            Hi Axel and others,

            On your advice, I have installed Open Office 3.

            Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer. Text boxes overlap.
            The graphic is not centered. Other details that I don't see yet may have
            changed. Such distortions will be a big problem for me because I receive
            Word documents from many sources for posting on the website. Also, the
            style for showing "tracked changes" differs greatly from the Microsoft
            convention. Most of my authors use various versions of Word.

            I am impressed, however, by the huge saving of file space in the exported
            PDF. It is a ten to one reduction from the original Word document and a
            five to one savings compared to the PDF I had produced using PDF creator. I
            wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most current Adobe
            Reader and earlier versions of it going back at least as far as version 6.

            <<That author is obviously (searching for an acceptable euphemism) less
            > than an expert in document creation>>

            To be charitable, I'll say he is well versed in planetary science.

            I hope no one objects to this extended conversation on this Y! group.

            Again, thank you for your help.

            Ray Shapp

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              > Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer.
              > Text boxes overlap. The graphic is not centered.

              Yes, it's an exceptionally bad case. Mostly documents can be read
              without flaws, but Word is known for that problem even between different
              Word installations, sometimes a different installed printer suffices. I
              tried Microsoft Office 2003 just now, and while better it does not
              render like your PDF.

              Doc is a raw format for work in progress, no exchange format for
              finished documents, but Microsoft users will never get that.

              > I wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most
              > current Adobe Reader and earlier versions of it going back at
              > least as far as version 6.

              An unqualified yes. It's version 1.4 for Readers 5 and up and I've never
              found OO-written pdfs to give any trouble in any reader. The same is not
              true for one generated by Adobe programs, like Microsoft they don't feel
              much bound by their own documented standards.

              Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68