Re: [NTO] Create Universally Readable PDFs

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 7 1:23 AM
      Hi Axel and others,

      I discovered that the club member who was unable to read the PDF file
      wasn't allowing sufficient time for the file to download. Actual size is
      878KB. In one attempt, he downloaded about 600KB. In another try, he
      downloaded a little more. No version of the Adobe Reader will render either
      of the partially downloaded files.

      <<do you need any help in setting up ghostscript?>>

      In view of the fact that the problem has evaporated (I hand-delivered to
      him a complete file), I will decline your generous offer.

      Thanks again.

      Ray Shapp

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7 5:14 AM
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > he downloaded about 600KB.

        Ah well, that leads me back to my other side remark. Try another PDF
        writer, OpenOffice is not bad and reads Word.doc.

        Looking closely your Mars image originally was rather small and low
        resolution to begin with, I'd guess something less than 40 kB. It ought
        not to add more than its original size to the resulting PDF. Could you
        make the original DOC available?

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7 9:52 AM
          Hi Axel,

          <<Could you make the original DOC available?>>

          The original DOC file is now available at:

          www.asterism.org/events/Mars
          2012-03-10.doc<http://www.asterism.org/events/Mars%202012-03-10.doc>

          File size is 1.1MB. Please LMK when you have downloaded it because I want
          to remove it from the website.

          Please note that this document was produced by one of the club members who
          will be presenting a lecture at the event. It is not my original work. I
          avoided making any except the most necessary changes before posting. Some
          authors have* less than full appreciation* for my help!

          Ray Shapp

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7 10:26 AM
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > File size is 1.1MB.

            This is one more example that Docs don't travel, it looks much different
            from your original here, mostly due to a lack of fonts. Copying the
            image I find it is clearly blown up from a much smaller one (seemingly
            by a factor of five). That author is obviously (searching for an
            acceptable euphemism) less than an expert in document creation. He may
            have picked up that graphics ought to be 300 dpi or more and has not
            grasped that just blowing up a raster image does not raise the true
            resolution one bit.

            Even so, opening the Doc in OpenOffice and saving as PDF, changing
            nothing except specifying embedding images as 90 % quality Jpeg (at 90 %
            artefacts stay invisible to me) I come up with a PDF version 1.4 of file
            size 165 kB.

            I recommend ditching PDF creator and going for Open Office.

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7 3:36 PM
              Hi Axel and others,

              On your advice, I have installed Open Office 3.

              Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer. Text boxes overlap.
              The graphic is not centered. Other details that I don't see yet may have
              changed. Such distortions will be a big problem for me because I receive
              Word documents from many sources for posting on the website. Also, the
              style for showing "tracked changes" differs greatly from the Microsoft
              convention. Most of my authors use various versions of Word.

              I am impressed, however, by the huge saving of file space in the exported
              PDF. It is a ten to one reduction from the original Word document and a
              five to one savings compared to the PDF I had produced using PDF creator. I
              wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most current Adobe
              Reader and earlier versions of it going back at least as far as version 6.

              <<That author is obviously (searching for an acceptable euphemism) less
              > than an expert in document creation>>

              To be charitable, I'll say he is well versed in planetary science.

              I hope no one objects to this extended conversation on this Y! group.

              Again, thank you for your help.

              Ray Shapp

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7 5:25 PM
                Ray Shapp wrote:
                > Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer.
                > Text boxes overlap. The graphic is not centered.

                Yes, it's an exceptionally bad case. Mostly documents can be read
                without flaws, but Word is known for that problem even between different
                Word installations, sometimes a different installed printer suffices. I
                tried Microsoft Office 2003 just now, and while better it does not
                render like your PDF.

                Doc is a raw format for work in progress, no exchange format for
                finished documents, but Microsoft users will never get that.

                > I wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most
                > current Adobe Reader and earlier versions of it going back at
                > least as far as version 6.

                An unqualified yes. It's version 1.4 for Readers 5 and up and I've never
                found OO-written pdfs to give any trouble in any reader. The same is not
                true for one generated by Adobe programs, like Microsoft they don't feel
                much bound by their own documented standards.

                Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68