Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NTO] Create Universally Readable PDFs

Expand Messages
  • Axel Berger
    ... I m curious: Can your member read my version 1.2 file? If so, do you need any help in setting up ghostscript? N.B: The newer is always better brigade
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
    • 0 Attachment
      Ray Shapp wrote:
      > Thanks for the reply, Axel.

      I'm curious: Can your member read my version 1.2 file? If so, do you
      need any help in setting up ghostscript?

      N.B: The "newer is always better" brigade chide me for writing that old
      format, noting that the newer ones can result in smaller files. They're
      right, I've seen differences up to 30 %. On the other hand, although my
      conversion to a lower version sometimes makes files bigger, in other
      cases filesizes may be halved. Far more bloat is due to sloppy
      programming than to outdated procedures and going for the newest and
      brightest files size tends to be the one thing losing its importance
      fastest.

      Axel

      --
      Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 2174/ 7439 07
      Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@...
      Deutschland (Germany) http://berger-odenthal.de
    • Ray Shapp
      Hi Axel and others, I discovered that the club member who was unable to read the PDF file wasn t allowing sufficient time for the file to download. Actual size
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi Axel and others,

        I discovered that the club member who was unable to read the PDF file
        wasn't allowing sufficient time for the file to download. Actual size is
        878KB. In one attempt, he downloaded about 600KB. In another try, he
        downloaded a little more. No version of the Adobe Reader will render either
        of the partially downloaded files.

        <<do you need any help in setting up ghostscript?>>
        >

        In view of the fact that the problem has evaporated (I hand-delivered to
        him a complete file), I will decline your generous offer.

        Thanks again.

        Ray Shapp


        On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

        > **
        >
        >
        > Ray Shapp wrote:
        > > Thanks for the reply, Axel.
        >
        > I'm curious: Can your member read my version 1.2 file? If so, do you
        > need any help in setting up ghostscript?
        >
        > N.B: The "newer is always better" brigade chide me for writing that old
        > format, noting that the newer ones can result in smaller files. They're
        > right, I've seen differences up to 30 %. On the other hand, although my
        > conversion to a lower version sometimes makes files bigger, in other
        > cases filesizes may be halved. Far more bloat is due to sloppy
        > programming than to outdated procedures and going for the newest and
        > brightest files size tends to be the one thing losing its importance
        > fastest.
        >
        >
        > Axel
        >
        > --
        > Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 2174/ 7439 07
        > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
        > D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@...
        > Deutschland (Germany) http://berger-odenthal.de
        >
        >
        >


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Axel Berger
        ... Ah well, that leads me back to my other side remark. Try another PDF writer, OpenOffice is not bad and reads Word.doc. Looking closely your Mars image
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
        • 0 Attachment
          Ray Shapp wrote:
          > he downloaded about 600KB.

          Ah well, that leads me back to my other side remark. Try another PDF
          writer, OpenOffice is not bad and reads Word.doc.

          Looking closely your Mars image originally was rather small and low
          resolution to begin with, I'd guess something less than 40 kB. It ought
          not to add more than its original size to the resulting PDF. Could you
          make the original DOC available?

          Axel

          --
          Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 2174/ 7439 07
          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@...
          Deutschland (Germany) http://berger-odenthal.de
        • Ray Shapp
          Hi Axel, ... The original DOC file is now available at: www.asterism.org/events/Mars
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi Axel,

            <<Could you make the original DOC available?>>
            >

            The original DOC file is now available at:

            www.asterism.org/events/Mars
            2012-03-10.doc<http://www.asterism.org/events/Mars%202012-03-10.doc>

            File size is 1.1MB. Please LMK when you have downloaded it because I want
            to remove it from the website.

            Please note that this document was produced by one of the club members who
            will be presenting a lecture at the event. It is not my original work. I
            avoided making any except the most necessary changes before posting. Some
            authors have* less than full appreciation* for my help!

            Ray Shapp


            On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:14 AM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

            > **
            >
            >
            > Ray Shapp wrote:
            > > he downloaded about 600KB.
            >
            > Ah well, that leads me back to my other side remark. Try another PDF
            > writer, OpenOffice is not bad and reads Word.doc.
            >
            > Looking closely your Mars image originally was rather small and low
            > resolution to begin with, I'd guess something less than 40 kB. It ought
            > not to add more than its original size to the resulting PDF. Could you
            > make the original DOC available?
            >
            >
            > Axel
            >
            > --
            > Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 2174/ 7439 07
            > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
            > D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@...
            > Deutschland (Germany) http://berger-odenthal.de
            >
            >
            >


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Axel Berger
            ... This is one more example that Docs don t travel, it looks much different from your original here, mostly due to a lack of fonts. Copying the image I find
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
            • 0 Attachment
              Ray Shapp wrote:
              > File size is 1.1MB.

              This is one more example that Docs don't travel, it looks much different
              from your original here, mostly due to a lack of fonts. Copying the
              image I find it is clearly blown up from a much smaller one (seemingly
              by a factor of five). That author is obviously (searching for an
              acceptable euphemism) less than an expert in document creation. He may
              have picked up that graphics ought to be 300 dpi or more and has not
              grasped that just blowing up a raster image does not raise the true
              resolution one bit.

              Even so, opening the Doc in OpenOffice and saving as PDF, changing
              nothing except specifying embedding images as 90 % quality Jpeg (at 90 %
              artefacts stay invisible to me) I come up with a PDF version 1.4 of file
              size 165 kB.

              I recommend ditching PDF creator and going for Open Office.

              Axel

              --
              Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 2174/ 7439 07
              Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
              D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@...
              Deutschland (Germany) http://berger-odenthal.de
            • Ray Shapp
              Hi Axel and others, On your advice, I have installed Open Office 3. Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer. Text boxes overlap. The graphic is
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
              • 0 Attachment
                Hi Axel and others,

                On your advice, I have installed Open Office 3.

                Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer. Text boxes overlap.
                The graphic is not centered. Other details that I don't see yet may have
                changed. Such distortions will be a big problem for me because I receive
                Word documents from many sources for posting on the website. Also, the
                style for showing "tracked changes" differs greatly from the Microsoft
                convention. Most of my authors use various versions of Word.

                I am impressed, however, by the huge saving of file space in the exported
                PDF. It is a ten to one reduction from the original Word document and a
                five to one savings compared to the PDF I had produced using PDF creator. I
                wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most current Adobe
                Reader and earlier versions of it going back at least as far as version 6.


                <<That author is obviously (searching for an acceptable euphemism) less
                > than an expert in document creation>>
                >

                To be charitable, I'll say he is well versed in planetary science.


                I hope no one objects to this extended conversation on this Y! group.

                Again, thank you for your help.

                Ray Shapp


                On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

                > **
                >
                >
                > Ray Shapp wrote:
                > > File size is 1.1MB.
                >
                > This is one more example that Docs don't travel, it looks much different
                > from your original here, mostly due to a lack of fonts. Copying the
                > image I find it is clearly blown up from a much smaller one (seemingly
                > by a factor of five). That author is obviously (searching for an
                > acceptable euphemism) less than an expert in document creation. He may
                > have picked up that graphics ought to be 300 dpi or more and has not
                > grasped that just blowing up a raster image does not raise the true
                > resolution one bit.
                >
                > Even so, opening the Doc in OpenOffice and saving as PDF, changing
                > nothing except specifying embedding images as 90 % quality Jpeg (at 90 %
                > artefacts stay invisible to me) I come up with a PDF version 1.4 of file
                > size 165 kB.
                >
                > I recommend ditching PDF creator and going for Open Office.
                >
                >
                > Axel
                >
                > --
                > Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 2174/ 7439 07
                > Johann-H�ck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                > D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@...
                > Deutschland (Germany) http://berger-odenthal.de
                >
                >
                >


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Axel Berger
                ... Yes, it s an exceptionally bad case. Mostly documents can be read without flaws, but Word is known for that problem even between different Word
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                • 0 Attachment
                  Ray Shapp wrote:
                  > Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer.
                  > Text boxes overlap. The graphic is not centered.

                  Yes, it's an exceptionally bad case. Mostly documents can be read
                  without flaws, but Word is known for that problem even between different
                  Word installations, sometimes a different installed printer suffices. I
                  tried Microsoft Office 2003 just now, and while better it does not
                  render like your PDF.

                  Doc is a raw format for work in progress, no exchange format for
                  finished documents, but Microsoft users will never get that.

                  > I wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most
                  > current Adobe Reader and earlier versions of it going back at
                  > least as far as version 6.

                  An unqualified yes. It's version 1.4 for Readers 5 and up and I've never
                  found OO-written pdfs to give any trouble in any reader. The same is not
                  true for one generated by Adobe programs, like Microsoft they don't feel
                  much bound by their own documented standards.

                  Axel

                  --
                  Dipl.-Ing. F. Axel Berger Tel: +49/ 2174/ 7439 07
                  Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                  D-51519 Odenthal-Heide eMail: Axel-Berger@...
                  Deutschland (Germany) http://berger-odenthal.de
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.