Re: [NTO] Create Universally Readable PDFs

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2012
      Thanks for the reply, Axel.

      Ray Shapp

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 6, 2012
        Ray Shapp wrote:
        > Thanks for the reply, Axel.

        I'm curious: Can your member read my version 1.2 file? If so, do you
        need any help in setting up ghostscript?

        N.B: The "newer is always better" brigade chide me for writing that old
        format, noting that the newer ones can result in smaller files. They're
        right, I've seen differences up to 30 %. On the other hand, although my
        conversion to a lower version sometimes makes files bigger, in other
        cases filesizes may be halved. Far more bloat is due to sloppy
        programming than to outdated procedures and going for the newest and
        brightest files size tends to be the one thing losing its importance
        fastest.

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
          Hi Axel and others,

          I discovered that the club member who was unable to read the PDF file
          wasn't allowing sufficient time for the file to download. Actual size is
          878KB. In one attempt, he downloaded about 600KB. In another try, he
          downloaded a little more. No version of the Adobe Reader will render either
          of the partially downloaded files.

          <<do you need any help in setting up ghostscript?>>

          In view of the fact that the problem has evaporated (I hand-delivered to
          him a complete file), I will decline your generous offer.

          Thanks again.

          Ray Shapp

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
            Ray Shapp wrote:
            > he downloaded about 600KB.

            Ah well, that leads me back to my other side remark. Try another PDF
            writer, OpenOffice is not bad and reads Word.doc.

            Looking closely your Mars image originally was rather small and low
            resolution to begin with, I'd guess something less than 40 kB. It ought
            not to add more than its original size to the resulting PDF. Could you
            make the original DOC available?

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
              Hi Axel,

              <<Could you make the original DOC available?>>

              The original DOC file is now available at:

              www.asterism.org/events/Mars
              2012-03-10.doc<http://www.asterism.org/events/Mars%202012-03-10.doc>

              File size is 1.1MB. Please LMK when you have downloaded it because I want
              to remove it from the website.

              Please note that this document was produced by one of the club members who
              will be presenting a lecture at the event. It is not my original work. I
              avoided making any except the most necessary changes before posting. Some
              authors have* less than full appreciation* for my help!

              Ray Shapp

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                Ray Shapp wrote:
                > File size is 1.1MB.

                This is one more example that Docs don't travel, it looks much different
                from your original here, mostly due to a lack of fonts. Copying the
                image I find it is clearly blown up from a much smaller one (seemingly
                by a factor of five). That author is obviously (searching for an
                acceptable euphemism) less than an expert in document creation. He may
                have picked up that graphics ought to be 300 dpi or more and has not
                grasped that just blowing up a raster image does not raise the true
                resolution one bit.

                Even so, opening the Doc in OpenOffice and saving as PDF, changing
                nothing except specifying embedding images as 90 % quality Jpeg (at 90 %
                artefacts stay invisible to me) I come up with a PDF version 1.4 of file
                size 165 kB.

                I recommend ditching PDF creator and going for Open Office.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                  Hi Axel and others,

                  On your advice, I have installed Open Office 3.

                  Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer. Text boxes overlap.
                  The graphic is not centered. Other details that I don't see yet may have
                  changed. Such distortions will be a big problem for me because I receive
                  Word documents from many sources for posting on the website. Also, the
                  style for showing "tracked changes" differs greatly from the Microsoft
                  convention. Most of my authors use various versions of Word.

                  I am impressed, however, by the huge saving of file space in the exported
                  PDF. It is a ten to one reduction from the original Word document and a
                  five to one savings compared to the PDF I had produced using PDF creator. I
                  wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most current Adobe
                  Reader and earlier versions of it going back at least as far as version 6.

                  <<That author is obviously (searching for an acceptable euphemism) less
                  > than an expert in document creation>>

                  To be charitable, I'll say he is well versed in planetary science.

                  I hope no one objects to this extended conversation on this Y! group.

                  Again, thank you for your help.

                  Ray Shapp

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 7, 2012
                    Ray Shapp wrote:
                    > Wow! The document renders very differently in Writer.
                    > Text boxes overlap. The graphic is not centered.

                    Yes, it's an exceptionally bad case. Mostly documents can be read
                    without flaws, but Word is known for that problem even between different
                    Word installations, sometimes a different installed printer suffices. I
                    tried Microsoft Office 2003 just now, and while better it does not
                    render like your PDF.

                    Doc is a raw format for work in progress, no exchange format for
                    finished documents, but Microsoft users will never get that.

                    > I wonder whether this new PDF file is readable by the most
                    > current Adobe Reader and earlier versions of it going back at
                    > least as far as version 6.

                    An unqualified yes. It's version 1.4 for Readers 5 and up and I've never
                    found OO-written pdfs to give any trouble in any reader. The same is not
                    true for one generated by Adobe programs, like Microsoft they don't feel
                    much bound by their own documented standards.

                    Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68