Ingnoring URL case on Apache servers

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2012
      Greetings,
      I added an .htaccess file and then entered a URL with mixed case. With
      the following URL I had no 404s with mixed case and it was directed to
      the correct URL.
      http://dollysods.org/Pixels2inches.php_files/

      But, if I added another directory and tried the mixed case, I get a 404.
      http://dollysods.org/pixels2inches.php_files/test_mixed_case/

      Questions:
      How do I change the rules so that any subdir is case insensitive?
      Is there a better way to accomplish this?
      Are there any drawbacks or pit falls to using this?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
      ==============
      .htaccess content:
      Options +FollowSymlinks
      RewriteEngine on

      # Skip this entire section if no uppercase letters in requested URL
      RewriteRule ![A-Z] - [S=28]
      # Else rewrite one of each uppercase letter to lowercase
      RewriteRule ^([^A]*)A(.*)$ /$1a$2
      RewriteRule ^([^B]*)B(.*)$ /$1b$2
      RewriteRule ^([^C]*)C(.*)$ /$1c$2
      RewriteRule ^([^D]*)D(.*)$ /$1d$2
      RewriteRule ^([^E]*)E(.*)$ /$1e$2
      RewriteRule ^([^F]*)F(.*)$ /$1f$2
      RewriteRule ^([^G]*)G(.*)$ /$1g$2
      RewriteRule ^([^H]*)H(.*)$ /$1h$2
      RewriteRule ^([^I]*)I(.*)$ /$1i$2
      RewriteRule ^([^J]*)J(.*)$ /$1j$2
      RewriteRule ^([^K]*)K(.*)$ /$1k$2
      RewriteRule ^([^L]*)L(.*)$ /$1l$2
      RewriteRule ^([^M]*)M(.*)$ /$1m$2
      RewriteRule ^([^N]*)N(.*)$ /$1n$2
      RewriteRule ^([^O]*)O(.*)$ /$1o$2
      RewriteRule ^([^P]*)P(.*)$ /$1p$2
      RewriteRule ^([^Q]*)Q(.*)$ /$1q$2
      RewriteRule ^([^R]*)R(.*)$ /$1r$2
      RewriteRule ^([^S]*)S(.*)$ /$1s$2
      RewriteRule ^([^T]*)T(.*)$ /$1t$2
      RewriteRule ^([^U]*)U(.*)$ /$1u$2
      RewriteRule ^([^V]*)V(.*)$ /$1v$2
      RewriteRule ^([^W]*)W(.*)$ /$1w$2
      RewriteRule ^([^X]*)X(.*)$ /$1x$2
      RewriteRule ^([^Y]*)Y(.*)$ /$1y$2
      RewriteRule ^([^Z]*)Z(.*)$ /$1z$2}
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 29, 2012
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > How do I change the rules so that any subdir is case insensitive?

        If you have or can get Apache Module mod_speling (note the single l) you
        can assert:

        CheckCaseOnly on

        See:
        <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_speling.html#checkcaseonly>

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 29, 2012
          On 1/29/2012 12:03 PM, Axel Berger wrote:
          > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > > How do I change the rules so that any subdir is case insensitive?
          >
          > If you have or can get Apache Module mod_speling (note the single l) you
          > can assert:
          >
          > CheckCaseOnly on>
          > See:
          > <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_speling.html#checkcaseonly>
          > Axel

          Thanks, Axel.
          -Mike
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 29, 2012
            Mike wrote:
            >How do I change the rules so that any subdir is case insensitive?

            Move to a Windows server. :-P

            Sorry!
            Lotta
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 30, 2012
              On 1/29/2012 10:19 PM, loro wrote:
              > Mike wrote:
              > >How do I change the rules so that any subdir is case insensitive?
              >
              > Move to a Windows server. :-P

              Cost extra!
              -mb