Folder Open screwed up

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 27, 2011
      Hi,

      I've created a mess, but I don't know how it happened so I can't fix
      it. All I wanted to do was to change the default folder icon. In
      Folder Options | File Types I had (still have) two entries, one is
      called "Folder" and the other "File Folder". For Folder the "Change
      Icon" button is grayed out, so I changed the icon for File Folder.
      The new icon shows up in the list, but it did nothing for the folders
      on my desktop or anywhere else. Question: what the heck is the
      difference between Folder and File Folder?

      I can live with that, but it also had a not wanted effect. Now VLC
      Media Player tried to open all folders when I double clicked on them
      or hit enter. Not so great. Browsing folders from a program, like
      Notetab's File Open dialog works as it should as does right-clicking
      on a folder and choosing Open or Explore from the context menu.

      Hard to google, find mostly how to open a whole folder in a program,
      but I found this on MetaFilter.
      http://ask.metafilter.com/30704/How-to-set-up-program-association-for-opening-folders

      No luck with that either. Both the default action in Folder Options
      and the registry entries already were as they should. Then I turned
      to VLC. Seems they have removed file associations from Options and
      that dialogue is only available during setup - how clever is that? So
      I uninstalled VLC. There! Uh, no. Now another media player tries to
      open folders. I have a feeling I could be uninstalling programs till
      doomsday or until I don't have any programs left, whatever comes
      first. There must be a better way.

      Any ideas? Oh, I'm on Windows XP Home.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 27, 2011
        I wrote:
        >Both the default action in Folder Options
        >and the registry entries already were as they should.

        Actually, the default action is OK for Folder. For File Folder (the
        one I changed icon for although it didn't take) the expected options
        aren't available.

        For Folder I have these.

        explore (default)
        open
        command prompt (added by me)
        ... and some others I've added

        For File Folder I have these.

        add to send to menu
        command prompt
        ... a number of program specific commands

        Seems the Windows commands are split over those two entries???

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 27, 2011
          I wrote:
          >I wrote:
          > >Both the default action in Folder Options
          > >and the registry entries already were as they should.
          >
          >Actually, the default action is OK for Folder. For File Folder (the
          >one I changed icon for although it didn't take) the expected options
          >aren't available.
          >
          >For Folder I have these.
          >
          >explore (default)
          >open
          >command prompt (added by me)
          >... and some others I've added
          >
          >For File Folder I have these.
          >
          >add to send to menu
          >command prompt
          >... a number of program specific commands
          >
          >Seems the Windows commands are split over those two entries???

          How come you your IQ goes up with at least 50% as soon as you ask a
          question? :-D

          I added the Explore comand executed by explorer.exe for File Folder.
          Now the folders open normally (touch wood!) when double clicking. I
          still don't get what's up with those two folder types and why the
          commands are split between them though.