Re: [NTO] "Description" for unix file listings

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
      Mike wrote:
      >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
      >I will look into that.
      >
      > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
      > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
      >
      >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

      You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
      hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
      AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
      links to those directives in the summary at top).
      http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

      Create a special folder just for testing and play around with a
      .htaccess file in that. Then you don't risk messing something up
      site-wide. Put some other files in there too or there won't be
      anything to index.

      Lotta
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2011
        On 10/27/2011 6:39 PM, loro wrote:
        > Mike wrote:
        > >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
        > >I will look into that.
        > >
        > > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
        > > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
        > >
        > >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.
        >
        > You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
        > hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
        > AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
        > links to those directives in the summary at top).
        > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

        Found this:
        http://corz.org/serv/resources/file_view.htaccess.txt
        Tested out OK.
        I really don't need the AddDescription in my directories, but I curious
        about it.
        Thanks,
        -Mike