Re: [NTO] "Description" for unix file listings

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
      On 10/27/2011 2:45 PM, Al wrote:
      > AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
      > index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
      > admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
      > admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
      > below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

      So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
      I will look into that.

      > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
      > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you

      It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

      Thanks for input/ideas.
      -Mike

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
        Mike wrote:
        >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
        >I will look into that.
        >
        > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
        > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
        >
        >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

        You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
        hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
        AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
        links to those directives in the summary at top).
        http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

        Create a special folder just for testing and play around with a
        .htaccess file in that. Then you don't risk messing something up
        site-wide. Put some other files in there too or there won't be
        anything to index.

        Lotta
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2011
          On 10/27/2011 6:39 PM, loro wrote:
          > Mike wrote:
          > >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
          > >I will look into that.
          > >
          > > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
          > > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
          > >
          > >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.
          >
          > You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
          > hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
          > AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
          > links to those directives in the summary at top).
          > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

          Found this:
          http://corz.org/serv/resources/file_view.htaccess.txt
          Tested out OK.
          I really don't need the AddDescription in my directories, but I curious
          about it.
          Thanks,
          -Mike