Re: [NTO] "Description" for unix file listings

  • Al
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
      AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
      index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
      admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
      admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
      below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

      You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.

      But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
      simultaneously shared an http url -- thus as to what I shared above I'm
      not certain it's the particular case scenario that you seek in this
      case. | Alan.
      > How does one create a "Description" which will be shown for a particular
      > file/folder?
      > -Mike
      >

      > ====
      > Index of /1980/dasher_reports
      > (http://epicroadtrips.us/1980/dasher_reports/)
      >
      > Name Last modified Size Description
      >
      > [DIR] Parent Directory 27-Oct-2011 07:27 -
      > [ ] 2011 NSS Convention.pdf 27-Oct-2011 07:26 5.2M
      > [ ] NYC 2010 two.pdf 27-Oct-2011 07:26 2.5M
      > [ ] Vermont 2010 two.pdf 27-Oct-2011 07:26 2.1M

    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
        On 10/27/2011 2:45 PM, Al wrote:
        > AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
        > index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
        > admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
        > admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
        > below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

        So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
        I will look into that.

        > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
        > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you

        It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

        Thanks for input/ideas.
        -Mike

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
          Mike wrote:
          >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
          >I will look into that.
          >
          > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
          > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
          >
          >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

          You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
          hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
          AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
          links to those directives in the summary at top).
          http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

          Create a special folder just for testing and play around with a
          .htaccess file in that. Then you don't risk messing something up
          site-wide. Put some other files in there too or there won't be
          anything to index.

          Lotta
        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 28, 2011
            On 10/27/2011 6:39 PM, loro wrote:
            > Mike wrote:
            > >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
            > >I will look into that.
            > >
            > > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
            > > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
            > >
            > >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.
            >
            > You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
            > hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
            > AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
            > links to those directives in the summary at top).
            > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

            Found this:
            http://corz.org/serv/resources/file_view.htaccess.txt
            Tested out OK.
            I really don't need the AddDescription in my directories, but I curious
            about it.
            Thanks,
            -Mike