Re: [NTO] "Description" for unix file listings

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
      On 10/27/2011 8:48 AM, Dave wrote:
      > Hi
      > there is usually a spot in the properties of the PDF when you make to give
      > the PD. a Description is that what you mean ??
      > THANKYOU DAVE M

      The "Description" field is displayed for any type of file.
      So, I have no idea where the info for the "Description" would be coming
      from.
      Thanks,
      -Mike

    • Al
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
        AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
        index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
        admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
        admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
        below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

        You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.

        But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
        simultaneously shared an http url -- thus as to what I shared above I'm
        not certain it's the particular case scenario that you seek in this
        case. | Alan.

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
          On 10/27/2011 2:45 PM, Al wrote:
          > AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
          > index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
          > admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
          > admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
          > below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

          So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
          I will look into that.

          > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
          > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you

          It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

          Thanks for input/ideas.
          -Mike

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
            Mike wrote:
            >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
            >I will look into that.
            >
            > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
            > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
            >
            >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

            You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
            hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
            AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
            links to those directives in the summary at top).
            http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

            Create a special folder just for testing and play around with a
            .htaccess file in that. Then you don't risk messing something up
            site-wide. Put some other files in there too or there won't be
            anything to index.

            Lotta
          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 28, 2011
              On 10/27/2011 6:39 PM, loro wrote:
              > Mike wrote:
              > >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
              > >I will look into that.
              > >
              > > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
              > > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
              > >
              > >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.
              >
              > You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
              > hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
              > AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
              > links to those directives in the summary at top).
              > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

              Found this:
              http://corz.org/serv/resources/file_view.htaccess.txt
              Tested out OK.
              I really don't need the AddDescription in my directories, but I curious
              about it.
              Thanks,
              -Mike