Re: [NTO] "Description" for unix file listings

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
      Hi
      there is usually a spot in the properties of the PDF when you make to give
      the PD. a Description is that what you mean ??
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
        On 10/27/2011 8:48 AM, Dave wrote:
        > Hi
        > there is usually a spot in the properties of the PDF when you make to give
        > the PD. a Description is that what you mean ??
        > THANKYOU DAVE M

        The "Description" field is displayed for any type of file.
        So, I have no idea where the info for the "Description" would be coming
        from.
        Thanks,
        -Mike

      • Al
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
          AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
          index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
          admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
          admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
          below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

          You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.

          But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
          simultaneously shared an http url -- thus as to what I shared above I'm
          not certain it's the particular case scenario that you seek in this
          case. | Alan.

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
            On 10/27/2011 2:45 PM, Al wrote:
            > AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
            > index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
            > admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
            > admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
            > below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

            So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
            I will look into that.

            > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
            > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you

            It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

            Thanks for input/ideas.
            -Mike

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
              Mike wrote:
              >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
              >I will look into that.
              >
              > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
              > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
              >
              >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

              You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
              hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
              AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
              links to those directives in the summary at top).
              http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

              Create a special folder just for testing and play around with a
              .htaccess file in that. Then you don't risk messing something up
              site-wide. Put some other files in there too or there won't be
              anything to index.

              Lotta
            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 28, 2011
                On 10/27/2011 6:39 PM, loro wrote:
                > Mike wrote:
                > >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
                > >I will look into that.
                > >
                > > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
                > > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
                > >
                > >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.
                >
                > You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
                > hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
                > AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
                > links to those directives in the summary at top).
                > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

                Found this:
                http://corz.org/serv/resources/file_view.htaccess.txt
                Tested out OK.
                I really don't need the AddDescription in my directories, but I curious
                about it.
                Thanks,
                -Mike