"Description" for unix file listings

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
      How does one create a "Description" which will be shown for a particular
      file/folder?
      -Mike

      ====
      Index of /1980/dasher_reports
      (http://epicroadtrips.us/1980/dasher_reports/)

      Name Last modified Size Description

      [DIR] Parent Directory 27-Oct-2011 07:27 -
      [ ] 2011 NSS Convention.pdf 27-Oct-2011 07:26 5.2M
      [ ] NYC 2010 two.pdf 27-Oct-2011 07:26 2.5M
      [ ] Vermont 2010 two.pdf 27-Oct-2011 07:26 2.1M
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
        Hi
        there is usually a spot in the properties of the PDF when you make to give
        the PD. a Description is that what you mean ??
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
          On 10/27/2011 8:48 AM, Dave wrote:
          > Hi
          > there is usually a spot in the properties of the PDF when you make to give
          > the PD. a Description is that what you mean ??
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

          The "Description" field is displayed for any type of file.
          So, I have no idea where the info for the "Description" would be coming
          from.
          Thanks,
          -Mike

        • Al
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
            AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
            index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
            admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
            admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
            below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

            You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.

            But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
            simultaneously shared an http url -- thus as to what I shared above I'm
            not certain it's the particular case scenario that you seek in this
            case. | Alan.

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
              On 10/27/2011 2:45 PM, Al wrote:
              > AFAIK, whenever you have not uploaded a file named index.htm or
              > index.html to that particular folder on a web server, it is up to the
              > admin of the server as to what or if anything at all other than the
              > admin's placeholder will display when a folder (as per your http url
              > below) is the entry in the address field of a web browser.

              So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
              I will look into that.

              > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
              > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you

              It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

              Thanks for input/ideas.
              -Mike

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 27, 2011
                Mike wrote:
                >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
                >I will look into that.
                >
                > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
                > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
                >
                >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.

                You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
                hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
                AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
                links to those directives in the summary at top).
                http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

                Create a special folder just for testing and play around with a
                .htaccess file in that. Then you don't risk messing something up
                site-wide. Put some other files in there too or there won't be
                anything to index.

                Lotta
              • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 28, 2011
                  On 10/27/2011 6:39 PM, loro wrote:
                  > Mike wrote:
                  > >So maybe the file descriptions can be designated using Cpanel.
                  > >I will look into that.
                  > >
                  > > > You might ask on the ntb-html or whatever the html email list is.
                  > > > But you said Unix, (not http [like Apache] web server) but you
                  > >
                  > >It is an Apache server so I am showing my ignorance here.
                  >
                  > You probably need to use .htaccess, but I don't know what might be
                  > hidden in CPanel. I think you are looking for FancyIndexing and
                  > AddDescription. You'd better start reading here thought (there are
                  > links to those directives in the summary at top).
                  > http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_autoindex.html

                  Found this:
                  http://corz.org/serv/resources/file_view.htaccess.txt
                  Tested out OK.
                  I really don't need the AddDescription in my directories, but I curious
                  about it.
                  Thanks,
                  -Mike