Re: [NTO] Force mono sound from both speakers

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
      At 03:32 2011-09-18, Alec Burgess wrote:
      >My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
      >set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.

      Try searching their forum. That's how I found my solution. And be
      sure to use the right search terms - I had been there before.

      Yeah, extensive options makes it hard to find the one you're after.
      Took me years, literally, to even find the menu option, because I
      didn't understand what it did. I thought it needed to be set to the
      true nature of the input, but not so.

      Lotta
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
        Hi
        download "foobar 2000" it is free ,go to preferences\playback\DSP
        Managers\dowmix channels to mono and apply every thing will be mono.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
          loro wrote:
          > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,

          In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
          Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
          (this for Win98)
          you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
          speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
          really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
          individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
          soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
            Axel wrote:
            >loro wrote:
            > > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,
            >
            >In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
            >Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
            >(this for Win98)
            >you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
            >speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
            >really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
            >individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
            >soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

            Been there, done that. Sound goes bad or disappears if your choice
            doesn't match the actual device, at least for me. Don't know, maybe
            I'll just buy something like the below that's supposed to do the
            trick. It's just that I've gotten into my head there should be
            another and quicker way.
            http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/325121/SPEAKA-35MM-MONOSTEREO-ADAPTER/SHOP_AREA_17473

            I'd like one of those for my mp3 player anyway. Mine has a built in
            radio receiver and I can set that to mono, but no such option for
            mp3. This is even more irritating when you use earphones actually. I
            mostly use my mp3 player on walks. I don't like to be totally cut off
            from the surrounding sounds, so using just one ear plug is nice, but
            then you only get half of the songs!