Re: [NTO] Force mono sound from both speakers

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
      On 2011-09-17 21:18, loro wrote:
      > VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for
      > everything.

      Since we're (sort-of) talking about VLC and other players.
      I like VLC but if I'm playing a list of (eg. movie trailers) items from
      a playlist VLC insists on resizing on each new item.
      On the other hand my (currently) default media player SMPlayer is happy
      to leave the current size and scale the next item to fit within it as
      well as it can. However, for some file types or specific items of the
      type is inferior to VLC

      Does anyone know of a VLC option that will make it behave like SMPlayer
      in this respect.
      My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
      set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
        On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:32:49 -0400 Alec Burgess
        <burnews@...> said (in part):
        > On 2011-09-17 21:18, loro wrote:
        >> VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for
        >> everything.
        >
        > Since we're (sort-of) talking about VLC and other players.
        > I like VLC but if I'm playing a list of (eg. movie trailers) items
        > from a playlist VLC insists on resizing on each new item.
        > On the other hand my (currently) default media player SMPlayer is
        > happy to leave the current size and scale the next item to fit within
        > it as well as it can. However, for some file types or specific items
        > of the type is inferior to VLC
        >
        > Does anyone know of a VLC option that will make it behave like
        > SMPlayer in this respect.
        > My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
        > set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for
        > answers.
        Replying to myself .... Google [vlc prevent window resizing] gives this:
        (from 2008) http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=52999&f=14
        <http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=52999&f=14>
        - which suggests I can specify an absolute size to be used for ALL
        videos but can't get it use size of last window after manual resizing
        which is what I wanted as did OP in that thread and is the SMPlayer
        behavior. I'll give it a try next time I have a bunch. I'm currently
        downloading with JDownloader - a truly fine (free) application 8-)

      • jeff
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
          You can do it mechanically with a stereo to Mono adapter plug, and a
          mono to stereo attache to it. Plug both adapters into your speaker jack
          and then your speakers into the adapters.

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
            At 03:32 2011-09-18, Alec Burgess wrote:
            >My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
            >set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.

            Try searching their forum. That's how I found my solution. And be
            sure to use the right search terms - I had been there before.

            Yeah, extensive options makes it hard to find the one you're after.
            Took me years, literally, to even find the menu option, because I
            didn't understand what it did. I thought it needed to be set to the
            true nature of the input, but not so.

            Lotta
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
              Hi
              download "foobar 2000" it is free ,go to preferences\playback\DSP
              Managers\dowmix channels to mono and apply every thing will be mono.
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                loro wrote:
                > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,

                In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
                Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
                (this for Win98)
                you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
                speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
                really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
                individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
                soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

                Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                  Axel wrote:
                  >loro wrote:
                  > > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,
                  >
                  >In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
                  >Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
                  >(this for Win98)
                  >you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
                  >speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
                  >really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
                  >individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
                  >soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

                  Been there, done that. Sound goes bad or disappears if your choice
                  doesn't match the actual device, at least for me. Don't know, maybe
                  I'll just buy something like the below that's supposed to do the
                  trick. It's just that I've gotten into my head there should be
                  another and quicker way.
                  http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/325121/SPEAKA-35MM-MONOSTEREO-ADAPTER/SHOP_AREA_17473

                  I'd like one of those for my mp3 player anyway. Mine has a built in
                  radio receiver and I can set that to mono, but no such option for
                  mp3. This is even more irritating when you use earphones actually. I
                  mostly use my mp3 player on walks. I don't like to be totally cut off
                  from the surrounding sounds, so using just one ear plug is nice, but
                  then you only get half of the songs!