Re: [NTO] Force mono sound from both speakers

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
      There is always Audacity, but you would have to process each piece of
      audio individually.

      On 9/17/2011 6:18 PM, loro wrote:
      > Axel Berger wrote:
      >> The ideal place for correcting this is when converting to MP3, which is,
      >> I presume, what you have done before listening on a PC.
      > Nope, that's how I got them. I guess I could do what you suggest for
      > these files, but I'm after a more permanent solution. I'd be happy if
      > stereo sound never came out of my speakers again, either it's music
      > files, movies or whatever. Maybe it isn't possible, but I think it
      > ought to be. But what do I know about sound matters? Not much. The
      > VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for everything.
      >
      > Lotta
      >

      > These are the dawning days of the third American Revolution. Now is when we reckon the costs of what we have and consider the costs of getting to what we desire for our children's children.
      >
      > Survival is the knowledge, willingness, and readiness to act immediately, in avoidance, when the biological contamination is impelled in a lateral pathway to a catastrophic interface with the helical centrifugal aerodynamic oscillator impeller, and is non-systematically allocated in an accelerated radial dispersion arc of universal non-uniform bio-toxic distribution, which results in a non-recoverable situational status. (WTSHTF)
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
        On 2011-09-17 21:18, loro wrote:
        > VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for
        > everything.

        Since we're (sort-of) talking about VLC and other players.
        I like VLC but if I'm playing a list of (eg. movie trailers) items from
        a playlist VLC insists on resizing on each new item.
        On the other hand my (currently) default media player SMPlayer is happy
        to leave the current size and scale the next item to fit within it as
        well as it can. However, for some file types or specific items of the
        type is inferior to VLC

        Does anyone know of a VLC option that will make it behave like SMPlayer
        in this respect.
        My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
        set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.
      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
          On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:32:49 -0400 Alec Burgess
          <burnews@...> said (in part):
          > On 2011-09-17 21:18, loro wrote:
          >> VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for
          >> everything.
          >
          > Since we're (sort-of) talking about VLC and other players.
          > I like VLC but if I'm playing a list of (eg. movie trailers) items
          > from a playlist VLC insists on resizing on each new item.
          > On the other hand my (currently) default media player SMPlayer is
          > happy to leave the current size and scale the next item to fit within
          > it as well as it can. However, for some file types or specific items
          > of the type is inferior to VLC
          >
          > Does anyone know of a VLC option that will make it behave like
          > SMPlayer in this respect.
          > My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
          > set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for
          > answers.
          Replying to myself .... Google [vlc prevent window resizing] gives this:
          (from 2008) http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=52999&f=14
          <http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=52999&f=14>
          - which suggests I can specify an absolute size to be used for ALL
          videos but can't get it use size of last window after manual resizing
          which is what I wanted as did OP in that thread and is the SMPlayer
          behavior. I'll give it a try next time I have a bunch. I'm currently
          downloading with JDownloader - a truly fine (free) application 8-)

        • jeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
            You can do it mechanically with a stereo to Mono adapter plug, and a
            mono to stereo attache to it. Plug both adapters into your speaker jack
            and then your speakers into the adapters.

            Jeff
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
              At 03:32 2011-09-18, Alec Burgess wrote:
              >My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
              >set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.

              Try searching their forum. That's how I found my solution. And be
              sure to use the right search terms - I had been there before.

              Yeah, extensive options makes it hard to find the one you're after.
              Took me years, literally, to even find the menu option, because I
              didn't understand what it did. I thought it needed to be set to the
              true nature of the input, but not so.

              Lotta
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                Hi
                download "foobar 2000" it is free ,go to preferences\playback\DSP
                Managers\dowmix channels to mono and apply every thing will be mono.
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                  loro wrote:
                  > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,

                  In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
                  Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
                  (this for Win98)
                  you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
                  speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
                  really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
                  individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
                  soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

                  Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                    Axel wrote:
                    >loro wrote:
                    > > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,
                    >
                    >In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
                    >Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
                    >(this for Win98)
                    >you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
                    >speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
                    >really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
                    >individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
                    >soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

                    Been there, done that. Sound goes bad or disappears if your choice
                    doesn't match the actual device, at least for me. Don't know, maybe
                    I'll just buy something like the below that's supposed to do the
                    trick. It's just that I've gotten into my head there should be
                    another and quicker way.
                    http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/325121/SPEAKA-35MM-MONOSTEREO-ADAPTER/SHOP_AREA_17473

                    I'd like one of those for my mp3 player anyway. Mine has a built in
                    radio receiver and I can set that to mono, but no such option for
                    mp3. This is even more irritating when you use earphones actually. I
                    mostly use my mp3 player on walks. I don't like to be totally cut off
                    from the surrounding sounds, so using just one ear plug is nice, but
                    then you only get half of the songs!