Re: [NTO] Force mono sound from both speakers

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
      Me wrote:
      >VLC Media Player has a setting: Audio Device [stereo|mono]. That does
      >what I want, but I have to make the choice for each track, so not optimal.

      Typical... I've searched for hours and the second I had sent my cry
      for help I found there is a way to make mono sticky in VLC.
      http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=93149&p=308684&hilit=mono#p308684

      I'm still open to suggestions though. :-)

      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
        loro wrote:
        > create an odd fake stereo effect,
        > by filtering out single instruments I suppose and sending them left
        > or right. Horrible it is. Boohoo.

        The ideal place for correcting this is when converting to MP3, which is,
        I presume, what you have done before listening on a PC.
        My preferred audio plyer, Winamp, has no option for playing stereo as
        mono at all.

        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
          Axel Berger wrote:
          >The ideal place for correcting this is when converting to MP3, which is,
          >I presume, what you have done before listening on a PC.

          Nope, that's how I got them. I guess I could do what you suggest for
          these files, but I'm after a more permanent solution. I'd be happy if
          stereo sound never came out of my speakers again, either it's music
          files, movies or whatever. Maybe it isn't possible, but I think it
          ought to be. But what do I know about sound matters? Not much. The
          VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for everything.

          Lotta
        • jeff
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
            There is always Audacity, but you would have to process each piece of
            audio individually.

            On 9/17/2011 6:18 PM, loro wrote:
            > Axel Berger wrote:
            >> The ideal place for correcting this is when converting to MP3, which is,
            >> I presume, what you have done before listening on a PC.
            > Nope, that's how I got them. I guess I could do what you suggest for
            > these files, but I'm after a more permanent solution. I'd be happy if
            > stereo sound never came out of my speakers again, either it's music
            > files, movies or whatever. Maybe it isn't possible, but I think it
            > ought to be. But what do I know about sound matters? Not much. The
            > VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for everything.
            >
            > Lotta
            >

            > These are the dawning days of the third American Revolution. Now is when we reckon the costs of what we have and consider the costs of getting to what we desire for our children's children.
            >
            > Survival is the knowledge, willingness, and readiness to act immediately, in avoidance, when the biological contamination is impelled in a lateral pathway to a catastrophic interface with the helical centrifugal aerodynamic oscillator impeller, and is non-systematically allocated in an accelerated radial dispersion arc of universal non-uniform bio-toxic distribution, which results in a non-recoverable situational status. (WTSHTF)
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
              On 2011-09-17 21:18, loro wrote:
              > VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for
              > everything.

              Since we're (sort-of) talking about VLC and other players.
              I like VLC but if I'm playing a list of (eg. movie trailers) items from
              a playlist VLC insists on resizing on each new item.
              On the other hand my (currently) default media player SMPlayer is happy
              to leave the current size and scale the next item to fit within it as
              well as it can. However, for some file types or specific items of the
              type is inferior to VLC

              Does anyone know of a VLC option that will make it behave like SMPlayer
              in this respect.
              My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
              set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
                On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:32:49 -0400 Alec Burgess
                <burnews@...> said (in part):
                > On 2011-09-17 21:18, loro wrote:
                >> VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for
                >> everything.
                >
                > Since we're (sort-of) talking about VLC and other players.
                > I like VLC but if I'm playing a list of (eg. movie trailers) items
                > from a playlist VLC insists on resizing on each new item.
                > On the other hand my (currently) default media player SMPlayer is
                > happy to leave the current size and scale the next item to fit within
                > it as well as it can. However, for some file types or specific items
                > of the type is inferior to VLC
                >
                > Does anyone know of a VLC option that will make it behave like
                > SMPlayer in this respect.
                > My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
                > set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for
                > answers.
                Replying to myself .... Google [vlc prevent window resizing] gives this:
                (from 2008) http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=52999&f=14
                <http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=52999&f=14>
                - which suggests I can specify an absolute size to be used for ALL
                videos but can't get it use size of last window after manual resizing
                which is what I wanted as did OP in that thread and is the SMPlayer
                behavior. I'll give it a try next time I have a bunch. I'm currently
                downloading with JDownloader - a truly fine (free) application 8-)

              • jeff
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
                  You can do it mechanically with a stereo to Mono adapter plug, and a
                  mono to stereo attache to it. Plug both adapters into your speaker jack
                  and then your speakers into the adapters.

                  Jeff
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
                    At 03:32 2011-09-18, Alec Burgess wrote:
                    >My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
                    >set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.

                    Try searching their forum. That's how I found my solution. And be
                    sure to use the right search terms - I had been there before.

                    Yeah, extensive options makes it hard to find the one you're after.
                    Took me years, literally, to even find the menu option, because I
                    didn't understand what it did. I thought it needed to be set to the
                    true nature of the input, but not so.

                    Lotta
                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                      Hi
                      download "foobar 2000" it is free ,go to preferences\playback\DSP
                      Managers\dowmix channels to mono and apply every thing will be mono.
                      THANKYOU DAVE M

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                        loro wrote:
                        > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,

                        In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
                        Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
                        (this for Win98)
                        you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
                        speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
                        really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
                        individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
                        soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

                        Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                          Axel wrote:
                          >loro wrote:
                          > > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,
                          >
                          >In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
                          >Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
                          >(this for Win98)
                          >you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
                          >speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
                          >really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
                          >individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
                          >soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

                          Been there, done that. Sound goes bad or disappears if your choice
                          doesn't match the actual device, at least for me. Don't know, maybe
                          I'll just buy something like the below that's supposed to do the
                          trick. It's just that I've gotten into my head there should be
                          another and quicker way.
                          http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/325121/SPEAKA-35MM-MONOSTEREO-ADAPTER/SHOP_AREA_17473

                          I'd like one of those for my mp3 player anyway. Mine has a built in
                          radio receiver and I can set that to mono, but no such option for
                          mp3. This is even more irritating when you use earphones actually. I
                          mostly use my mp3 player on walks. I don't like to be totally cut off
                          from the surrounding sounds, so using just one ear plug is nice, but
                          then you only get half of the songs!