Force mono sound from both speakers

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
      Hi,

      Is there a setting somewhere to disable stereo sound but still have
      the sound coming from both speakers? Or if not, do you know of a
      player that can do it? I've heard there are hardware solutions, but
      let's keep it simple.

      VLC Media Player has a setting: Audio Device [stereo|mono]. That does
      what I want, but I have to make the choice for each track, so not optimal.

      If someone wonders why I want to do this, the truth is I never liked
      stereo. I don't think it sounds natural. But I do like that the sound
      gets more "body" from two speakers than from one... Now I've got hold
      of some old jazz records that I once owned on vinyl. Obviously the
      originals were mono since there was no stereo back then, but when
      they make new releases they often create an odd fake stereo effect,
      by filtering out single instruments I suppose and sending them left
      or right. Horrible it is. Boohoo.

      TIA
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
        Me wrote:
        >VLC Media Player has a setting: Audio Device [stereo|mono]. That does
        >what I want, but I have to make the choice for each track, so not optimal.

        Typical... I've searched for hours and the second I had sent my cry
        for help I found there is a way to make mono sticky in VLC.
        http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=93149&p=308684&hilit=mono#p308684

        I'm still open to suggestions though. :-)

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
          loro wrote:
          > create an odd fake stereo effect,
          > by filtering out single instruments I suppose and sending them left
          > or right. Horrible it is. Boohoo.

          The ideal place for correcting this is when converting to MP3, which is,
          I presume, what you have done before listening on a PC.
          My preferred audio plyer, Winamp, has no option for playing stereo as
          mono at all.

          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
            Axel Berger wrote:
            >The ideal place for correcting this is when converting to MP3, which is,
            >I presume, what you have done before listening on a PC.

            Nope, that's how I got them. I guess I could do what you suggest for
            these files, but I'm after a more permanent solution. I'd be happy if
            stereo sound never came out of my speakers again, either it's music
            files, movies or whatever. Maybe it isn't possible, but I think it
            ought to be. But what do I know about sound matters? Not much. The
            VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for everything.

            Lotta
          • jeff
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
              There is always Audacity, but you would have to process each piece of
              audio individually.

              On 9/17/2011 6:18 PM, loro wrote:
              > Axel Berger wrote:
              >> The ideal place for correcting this is when converting to MP3, which is,
              >> I presume, what you have done before listening on a PC.
              > Nope, that's how I got them. I guess I could do what you suggest for
              > these files, but I'm after a more permanent solution. I'd be happy if
              > stereo sound never came out of my speakers again, either it's music
              > files, movies or whatever. Maybe it isn't possible, but I think it
              > ought to be. But what do I know about sound matters? Not much. The
              > VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for everything.
              >
              > Lotta
              >

              > These are the dawning days of the third American Revolution. Now is when we reckon the costs of what we have and consider the costs of getting to what we desire for our children's children.
              >
              > Survival is the knowledge, willingness, and readiness to act immediately, in avoidance, when the biological contamination is impelled in a lateral pathway to a catastrophic interface with the helical centrifugal aerodynamic oscillator impeller, and is non-systematically allocated in an accelerated radial dispersion arc of universal non-uniform bio-toxic distribution, which results in a non-recoverable situational status. (WTSHTF)
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
                On 2011-09-17 21:18, loro wrote:
                > VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for
                > everything.

                Since we're (sort-of) talking about VLC and other players.
                I like VLC but if I'm playing a list of (eg. movie trailers) items from
                a playlist VLC insists on resizing on each new item.
                On the other hand my (currently) default media player SMPlayer is happy
                to leave the current size and scale the next item to fit within it as
                well as it can. However, for some file types or specific items of the
                type is inferior to VLC

                Does anyone know of a VLC option that will make it behave like SMPlayer
                in this respect.
                My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
                set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
                  On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 21:32:49 -0400 Alec Burgess
                  <burnews@...> said (in part):
                  > On 2011-09-17 21:18, loro wrote:
                  >> VLC way works fine now that I've found it, but I don't use VLC for
                  >> everything.
                  >
                  > Since we're (sort-of) talking about VLC and other players.
                  > I like VLC but if I'm playing a list of (eg. movie trailers) items
                  > from a playlist VLC insists on resizing on each new item.
                  > On the other hand my (currently) default media player SMPlayer is
                  > happy to leave the current size and scale the next item to fit within
                  > it as well as it can. However, for some file types or specific items
                  > of the type is inferior to VLC
                  >
                  > Does anyone know of a VLC option that will make it behave like
                  > SMPlayer in this respect.
                  > My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
                  > set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for
                  > answers.
                  Replying to myself .... Google [vlc prevent window resizing] gives this:
                  (from 2008) http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=52999&f=14
                  <http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?t=52999&f=14>
                  - which suggests I can specify an absolute size to be used for ALL
                  videos but can't get it use size of last window after manual resizing
                  which is what I wanted as did OP in that thread and is the SMPlayer
                  behavior. I'll give it a try next time I have a bunch. I'm currently
                  downloading with JDownloader - a truly fine (free) application 8-)

                • jeff
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
                    You can do it mechanically with a stereo to Mono adapter plug, and a
                    mono to stereo attache to it. Plug both adapters into your speaker jack
                    and then your speakers into the adapters.

                    Jeff
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 17, 2011
                      At 03:32 2011-09-18, Alec Burgess wrote:
                      >My VLC is version 1.1.11.0. I've scanned through the (*very* extensive
                      >set of) options several times but haven't yet tried to google for answers.

                      Try searching their forum. That's how I found my solution. And be
                      sure to use the right search terms - I had been there before.

                      Yeah, extensive options makes it hard to find the one you're after.
                      Took me years, literally, to even find the menu option, because I
                      didn't understand what it did. I thought it needed to be set to the
                      true nature of the input, but not so.

                      Lotta
                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                        Hi
                        download "foobar 2000" it is free ,go to preferences\playback\DSP
                        Managers\dowmix channels to mono and apply every thing will be mono.
                        THANKYOU DAVE M

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                          loro wrote:
                          > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,

                          In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
                          Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
                          (this for Win98)
                          you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
                          speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
                          really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
                          individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
                          soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

                          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 18, 2011
                            Axel wrote:
                            >loro wrote:
                            > > I'd be happy if stereo sound never came out of my speakers again,
                            >
                            >In that case you may be looking in the wrong place. Under
                            >Control Panel -> Multimedia -> Audio -> Playback -> Advanced
                            >(this for Win98)
                            >you get a choice for "speaker setup". My standard is "desktop stereo
                            >speakers" but there is also a "laptop mono speakers" setting. I'm not
                            >really sure what it does, but might be worth a try. It seems there are
                            >individual settings for devices, in my case three, line out jack, USB
                            >soundcard, and routed through Totalrecorder.

                            Been there, done that. Sound goes bad or disappears if your choice
                            doesn't match the actual device, at least for me. Don't know, maybe
                            I'll just buy something like the below that's supposed to do the
                            trick. It's just that I've gotten into my head there should be
                            another and quicker way.
                            http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/325121/SPEAKA-35MM-MONOSTEREO-ADAPTER/SHOP_AREA_17473

                            I'd like one of those for my mp3 player anyway. Mine has a built in
                            radio receiver and I can set that to mono, but no such option for
                            mp3. This is even more irritating when you use earphones actually. I
                            mostly use my mp3 player on walks. I don't like to be totally cut off
                            from the surrounding sounds, so using just one ear plug is nice, but
                            then you only get half of the songs!