problems with domain being flagged as spam source

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
      Greetings,
      When I travel I use a listserve to send out messages with a few lines of
      text and a link to my latest travel posts.

      I recently rec'd this from one of the recipients:

      "Had another bounce issue. Jason of Labs finds it an amusing case. The
      ERT posts score so high on the Spam-o-Meter that even putting the
      sending domain on the "White list" (which is worth 100 points) doesn't
      rescue the messages. He said he would write a special rule."

      "Labs" is the ISP and the "ERT posts" are the messages I send out.
      The all contain the domain http://epicroadtrips.us/

      My question is this. How can I determine if this is an isolated incident
      or more widespread?
      There are about 450 recipients. I have not had reports of this issue
      before, but it is possible some are not even aware it may be happening.

      I do get feedback from time to time from some of the recipients. So I
      assume most of the recipients are getting the posts. However, I have no
      way to verify this.

      Any thoughts on this?
      Thanks,
      -Mike
    • Al
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
        Hi Mike,

        rss comes to mind (to use as a substitute). But in the real world (rss
        may not be popular, etc. etc.) I'm unfamiliar if that even be a viable
        possibility or not.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
          On 9/8/2011 7:40 AM, Al wrote:
          > Hi Mike,>
          > rss comes to mind (to use as a substitute). But in the real world (rss
          > may not be popular, etc. etc.) I'm unfamiliar if that even be a viable
          > possibility or not.

          Hi Al,
          My guess would be most of the recipients on my list have not heard of
          and do not know what RSS is.

          And, I do not use a CMS to publish so that is the really hurdle.
          Thanks,
          -Mike
          =================

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > most of the recipients on my list have not heard of
            > and do not know what RSS is.

            It is no full substitute anyway. If I were a recipient, I'd want to
            filter your posts into a separate folder and keep them in my mailbase. I
            can only read RSS in a browser and archiving is no realistic option. RSS
            is a nice heads-up for changes on blogs and websites but no alternative
            to lists or mail.

            Axel
          • Al
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
              Axel Berger wrote:
              > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              >
              >> most of the recipients on my list have not heard of
              >> and do not know what RSS is.
              >>

              > It is no full substitute anyway. If I were a recipient, I'd want to
              > filter your posts into a separate folder and keep them in my mailbase. I
              > can only read RSS in a browser and archiving is no realistic option. RSS
              > is a nice heads-up for changes on blogs and websites but no alternative
              > to lists or mail.

              Receive your rss as email: (have your cake and eat it too)

              http://www.allthingsrss.com/rss2email/

              rss also is for "news" ie get news delivered right to your desktop.
              (akin to a news channel). Does he not email out "news" concerning
              recent/new epic road trips?

              A Google search of "rss versus email":

              http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1272&bih=829&q=rss+versus+email&btnG=Google+Search

              I've used some of what are called rss client / rss reader on Linux (they
              have 'em for Windows too) that behave very much akin to a powerful email
              program or application. These can filter into other folder and kept in
              article base (just like mail base, news base, or whatever you want to
              call it). These be full blown, state of the art, rss client / rss reader

              As far as I can see, rss never caught on -- like as in why should
              Windows users buy an rss reader (many, perhaps most, won't) -- like as
              in people resist change. Linux has some nice full blown and free and
              very powerful rss reader. But my guess be not enough people using Linux
              though I use it.

              http://www.marketing-magic.biz/archives/archive-internet-marketing/rss-vs-email.htm

              The next quote copy/pasted from near the bottom of the article at above url

              <quote>Keep either Email or RSS out of your marketing toolbox and you're
              losing out on a significant portion of your audience.

              RSS has other advantages that email does not have - like being able to
              syndicate your content across the web. It can be a very useful tool for
              building link popularity - if you do it right.

              As a marketer you do need to start brushing up on your knowledge of RSS
              and a good place to start is here:</quote>

            • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2011
                On 9/8/2011 11:16 PM, Al wrote:
                > Axel Berger wrote:
                > > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                > >> most of the recipients on my list have not heard of
                > >> and do not know what RSS is.
                > >
                > > It is no full substitute anyway. If I were a recipient, I'd want to
                > > filter your posts into a separate folder and keep them in my mailbase. I
                > > can only read RSS in a browser and archiving is no realistic option. RSS
                > > is a nice heads-up for changes on blogs and websites but no alternative
                > > to lists or mail.
                >
                > Receive your rss as email: (have your cake and eat it too)
                > http://www.allthingsrss.com/rss2email/

                Interesting, but to complicated at this point.
                Thanks,
                -Mike

                > rss also is for "news" ie get news delivered right to your desktop.
                > (akin to a news channel). Does he not email out "news" concerning
                > recent/new epic road trips?
                >
                > A Google search of "rss versus email":
                >
                > http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1272&bih=829&q=rss+versus+email&btnG=Google+Search
                > <http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1272&bih=829&q=rss+versus+email&btnG=Google+Search>
                >
                > I've used some of what are called rss client / rss reader on Linux (they
                > have 'em for Windows too) that behave very much akin to a powerful email
                > program or application. These can filter into other folder and kept in
                > article base (just like mail base, news base, or whatever you want to
                > call it). These be full blown, state of the art, rss client / rss reader

                <SNIP>
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
                  Hi
                  I thought that if you are emailing them you can ask for a receipt of some
                  sort, the other thing if there all on the same provider and you hit with 50
                  or 100 emails they may complain ??
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 10, 2011
                    Mike wrote:
                    >I recently rec'd this from one of the recipients:
                    >
                    >"Had another bounce issue. Jason of Labs finds it an amusing case. The
                    >ERT posts score so high on the Spam-o-Meter that even putting the
                    >sending domain on the "White list" (which is worth 100 points) doesn't
                    >rescue the messages. He said he would write a special rule."
                    >
                    >"Labs" is the ISP and the "ERT posts" are the messages I send out.
                    >The all contain the domain http://epicroadtrips.us/
                    >
                    >My question is this. How can I determine if this is an isolated incident
                    >or more widespread?

                    I don't know if this tool is any good (and if it got your mail
                    server's IP address right), but it actually says you are listed on
                    one spam list. Your clear on the others. Got the same result at
                    another site I tried, so it's probably correct. You can click the
                    link there to get some more information.
                    <http://www.mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3a76.162.254.109>

                    No, I don't know what to do. Contact them maybe. Or ask your host.
                    They should know what to do about things like this.