Re: [NTO] Please vote to help wildlife

  • Adrien Verlee
    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2011
      Op 25/05/2011 14:29, fw7oaks schreef:
      >> Same here. And I think Facebook becomes an Internet in Internet. What
      >> > isn't good for Internet itself.
      > Let people play, dream, whatever on Facebook and leave the Internet for the serious stuff.

      I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate against those who
      do not like facebook.
      (Not that we can change it.)
      --
      Adrien
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2011
        - In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:

        > I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate
        > against those who do not like facebook. (Not that we can
        > change it.)

        I've been as anti-facebook as anyone. But this usage, voting extended to facebook users in matters I find important, has just about convinced me of the necessity to get over it. I find this article instructive:

        <http://www.sminorgs.net/2011/05/tragedy-hope-and-the-undeniable-power-of-social-media-as-a-force-for-good.html>

        Today is the last day for voting in the Chase Charitable Giving Campaign. If you set up a facebook account for no other reason it would be worthwhile IMO. You can delete your account after the campaign has ended and winners certified.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • Harold Noffke
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2011
          I agree with Axel. I'm not familiar with Facebook, but I don't see why the
          NoteTab community needs it's functions.

          RetiredEngineer1

          > I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate
          > against those who do not like facebook. (Not that we can
          > change it.)

          I've been as anti-facebook as anyone. But this usage, voting extended to
          facebook users in matters I find important, has just about convinced me of
          the necessity to get over it. I find this article instructive:

          <http://www.sminorgs.net/2011/05/tragedy-hope-and-the-undeniable-power-of-social-media-as-a-force-for-good.html>

          Today is the last day for voting in the Chase Charitable Giving Campaign. If
          you set up a facebook account for no other reason it would be worthwhile
          IMO. You can delete your account after the campaign has ended and winners
          certified.

          Regards,
          Sheri

        • Mick Housel
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2011
            I didn't see where Sheri asked that Facebook become a part of NoteTab or
            asked that everyone join up. She simply asked that if folks would be so
            kind as to support a cause that's obviously dear to her, she'd
            appreciate it. I'm sure that's why she placed it here on the Off Topic
            list. :)

            Social media is here to stay and will be an integral part of the online
            world as it moves forward. That doesn't mean that y'all have to jump on
            the bandwagon and participate but I personally don't think that others
            that choose to participate should be slighted for that. As the article
            Sheri references infers, the key in the phrase is "social" and that
            should and does include folks associating with each other and helping
            with worthy causes. I think all of us can appreciate the value of that.

            I think it's sad that so many don't care about what happens to others
            unless it directly effects them. Too bad that people seem to have become
            so self-centered and seemingly uncaring. And no, that's not directed at
            anyone particular on this list or otherwise, just a general observation
            about society today.

            Just my .02 worth. </minirant>

            Mick

            "It took me all this time to lose my mind, what on earth made you think
            I would want a piece of yours?" - Unknown

            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2011
              Mick Housel wrote:
              > I personally don't think that others
              > that choose to participate should be slighted for that.

              I absolutely agree. Nearly all my family is in there, which is why I had
              joined and been a member for something over half a year or longer. But I
              decided it's just not for me. My answer was not to slight participants,
              but just to say that i normally would have helped Sheri's cause but in
              this ase I can't.

              The other reactions confirm, why it is that I feel so much at home and
              with friends in this group of non-WYSIWYG pure text editor users. Some
              things are just not meant for us.