Re: [NTO] Please vote to help wildlife

    Message 1 of 9 , May 25, 2011
      Sheri wrote:
      > <http://apps.facebook.com/...

      Sorry, no facebook here and it will stay that way.
    • Adrien Verlee
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2011
        Op 25/05/2011 13:26, Axel Berger schreef:
        > Sorry, no facebook here and it will stay that way.

        Same here. And I think Facebook becomes an Internet in Internet. What
        isn't good for Internet itself.
        --
        Adrien
      • fw7oaks
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2011
          --- On Wed, 5/25/11, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:

          Op 25/05/2011 13:26, Axel Berger schreef:

          > > Sorry, no facebook here and it will stay that way.

          > Same here. And I think Facebook becomes an Internet in Internet. What
          > isn't good for Internet itself.

          Let people play, dream, whatever on Facebook and leave the Internet for the serious stuff.

          fw
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2011
            Op 25/05/2011 14:29, fw7oaks schreef:
            >> Same here. And I think Facebook becomes an Internet in Internet. What
            >> > isn't good for Internet itself.
            > Let people play, dream, whatever on Facebook and leave the Internet for the serious stuff.

            I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate against those who
            do not like facebook.
            (Not that we can change it.)
            --
            Adrien
          • Sheri
            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2011
              - In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:

              > I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate
              > against those who do not like facebook. (Not that we can
              > change it.)

              I've been as anti-facebook as anyone. But this usage, voting extended to facebook users in matters I find important, has just about convinced me of the necessity to get over it. I find this article instructive:

              <http://www.sminorgs.net/2011/05/tragedy-hope-and-the-undeniable-power-of-social-media-as-a-force-for-good.html>

              Today is the last day for voting in the Chase Charitable Giving Campaign. If you set up a facebook account for no other reason it would be worthwhile IMO. You can delete your account after the campaign has ended and winners certified.

              Regards,
              Sheri
            • Harold Noffke
              Message 6 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                I agree with Axel. I'm not familiar with Facebook, but I don't see why the
                NoteTab community needs it's functions.

                RetiredEngineer1

                > I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate
                > against those who do not like facebook. (Not that we can
                > change it.)

                I've been as anti-facebook as anyone. But this usage, voting extended to
                facebook users in matters I find important, has just about convinced me of
                the necessity to get over it. I find this article instructive:

                <http://www.sminorgs.net/2011/05/tragedy-hope-and-the-undeniable-power-of-social-media-as-a-force-for-good.html>

                Today is the last day for voting in the Chase Charitable Giving Campaign. If
                you set up a facebook account for no other reason it would be worthwhile
                IMO. You can delete your account after the campaign has ended and winners
                certified.

                Regards,
                Sheri

              • Mick Housel
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                  I didn't see where Sheri asked that Facebook become a part of NoteTab or
                  asked that everyone join up. She simply asked that if folks would be so
                  kind as to support a cause that's obviously dear to her, she'd
                  appreciate it. I'm sure that's why she placed it here on the Off Topic
                  list. :)

                  Social media is here to stay and will be an integral part of the online
                  world as it moves forward. That doesn't mean that y'all have to jump on
                  the bandwagon and participate but I personally don't think that others
                  that choose to participate should be slighted for that. As the article
                  Sheri references infers, the key in the phrase is "social" and that
                  should and does include folks associating with each other and helping
                  with worthy causes. I think all of us can appreciate the value of that.

                  I think it's sad that so many don't care about what happens to others
                  unless it directly effects them. Too bad that people seem to have become
                  so self-centered and seemingly uncaring. And no, that's not directed at
                  anyone particular on this list or otherwise, just a general observation
                  about society today.

                  Just my .02 worth. </minirant>

                  Mick

                  "It took me all this time to lose my mind, what on earth made you think
                  I would want a piece of yours?" - Unknown

                  Message 8 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                    Mick Housel wrote:
                    > I personally don't think that others
                    > that choose to participate should be slighted for that.

                    I absolutely agree. Nearly all my family is in there, which is why I had
                    joined and been a member for something over half a year or longer. But I
                    decided it's just not for me. My answer was not to slight participants,
                    but just to say that i normally would have helped Sheri's cause but in
                    this ase I can't.

                    The other reactions confirm, why it is that I feel so much at home and
                    with friends in this group of non-WYSIWYG pure text editor users. Some
                    things are just not meant for us.