Please vote to help wildlife

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2011
      For years Norfolk Botanical Gardens has been the home of a
      pair of eagles with a live web cam. This year there was a new nest with three eaglets but sadly, on Apr 26 the mother eagle was struck by an airplane and killed. The babies were rescued and taken to the Wildlife Center of Virginia where they are being tended for release into the wild when they are ready.

      You can see some wonderful photos of the eagle family here:
      <http://shutterbugbob.smugmug.com/Nature/NBG-Eagles-2011-Season>

      Eaglet web cam:
      <http://www.wvec.com/marketplace/microsite-content/Eagle-Cam.html>

      Both Wildlife Center of Virginia and Norfolk Botanical Gardens Society with their eagle program are now finalists in a contest for generous funding by Chase Community Giving Campaign. Grants of up to $500K are being decided by a popular vote on Facebook. The funds could help so many animals. Please vote for both organizations and raise awareness among other animal lovers you know! Voting ends tomorrow, May 25.

      More about it:
      <http://www.wildlifecenter.org/wp/2011/05/chase-community-giving/>

      Direct links to WCV and NBG voting pages:
      On first visit to one these pages, you will need to "like" Chase at the top of the page, and allow access to the Chase voting application when you click the Vote button.

      <http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/541215402-wildlife-center-of-virginia?src=vote_share>

      <http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/540788933-norfolk-botanical-garden-society?src=vote_share>

      Regards,
      Sheri
      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2011
        Sheri wrote:
        > <http://apps.facebook.com/...

        Sorry, no facebook here and it will stay that way.
      • Adrien Verlee
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2011
          Op 25/05/2011 13:26, Axel Berger schreef:
          > Sorry, no facebook here and it will stay that way.

          Same here. And I think Facebook becomes an Internet in Internet. What
          isn't good for Internet itself.
          --
          Adrien
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2011
            --- On Wed, 5/25/11, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:

            Op 25/05/2011 13:26, Axel Berger schreef:

            > > Sorry, no facebook here and it will stay that way.

            > Same here. And I think Facebook becomes an Internet in Internet. What
            > isn't good for Internet itself.

            Let people play, dream, whatever on Facebook and leave the Internet for the serious stuff.

            fw
          • Adrien Verlee
            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2011
              Op 25/05/2011 14:29, fw7oaks schreef:
              >> Same here. And I think Facebook becomes an Internet in Internet. What
              >> > isn't good for Internet itself.
              > Let people play, dream, whatever on Facebook and leave the Internet for the serious stuff.

              I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate against those who
              do not like facebook.
              (Not that we can change it.)
              --
              Adrien
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                - In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Adrien Verlee <adrien.verlee@...> wrote:

                > I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate
                > against those who do not like facebook. (Not that we can
                > change it.)

                I've been as anti-facebook as anyone. But this usage, voting extended to facebook users in matters I find important, has just about convinced me of the necessity to get over it. I find this article instructive:

                <http://www.sminorgs.net/2011/05/tragedy-hope-and-the-undeniable-power-of-social-media-as-a-force-for-good.html>

                Today is the last day for voting in the Chase Charitable Giving Campaign. If you set up a facebook account for no other reason it would be worthwhile IMO. You can delete your account after the campaign has ended and winners certified.

                Regards,
                Sheri
              • Harold Noffke
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                  I agree with Axel. I'm not familiar with Facebook, but I don't see why the
                  NoteTab community needs it's functions.

                  RetiredEngineer1

                  > I would agree, if there is no tendency to discriminate
                  > against those who do not like facebook. (Not that we can
                  > change it.)

                  I've been as anti-facebook as anyone. But this usage, voting extended to
                  facebook users in matters I find important, has just about convinced me of
                  the necessity to get over it. I find this article instructive:

                  <http://www.sminorgs.net/2011/05/tragedy-hope-and-the-undeniable-power-of-social-media-as-a-force-for-good.html>

                  Today is the last day for voting in the Chase Charitable Giving Campaign. If
                  you set up a facebook account for no other reason it would be worthwhile
                  IMO. You can delete your account after the campaign has ended and winners
                  certified.

                  Regards,
                  Sheri

                • Mick Housel
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                    I didn't see where Sheri asked that Facebook become a part of NoteTab or
                    asked that everyone join up. She simply asked that if folks would be so
                    kind as to support a cause that's obviously dear to her, she'd
                    appreciate it. I'm sure that's why she placed it here on the Off Topic
                    list. :)

                    Social media is here to stay and will be an integral part of the online
                    world as it moves forward. That doesn't mean that y'all have to jump on
                    the bandwagon and participate but I personally don't think that others
                    that choose to participate should be slighted for that. As the article
                    Sheri references infers, the key in the phrase is "social" and that
                    should and does include folks associating with each other and helping
                    with worthy causes. I think all of us can appreciate the value of that.

                    I think it's sad that so many don't care about what happens to others
                    unless it directly effects them. Too bad that people seem to have become
                    so self-centered and seemingly uncaring. And no, that's not directed at
                    anyone particular on this list or otherwise, just a general observation
                    about society today.

                    Just my .02 worth. </minirant>

                    Mick

                    "It took me all this time to lose my mind, what on earth made you think
                    I would want a piece of yours?" - Unknown

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                      Mick Housel wrote:
                      > I personally don't think that others
                      > that choose to participate should be slighted for that.

                      I absolutely agree. Nearly all my family is in there, which is why I had
                      joined and been a member for something over half a year or longer. But I
                      decided it's just not for me. My answer was not to slight participants,
                      but just to say that i normally would have helped Sheri's cause but in
                      this ase I can't.

                      The other reactions confirm, why it is that I feel so much at home and
                      with friends in this group of non-WYSIWYG pure text editor users. Some
                      things are just not meant for us.