Reply to members, was: [NTO] parts of an inch

    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2011
      Harold Noffke wrote:
      > I clicked "Reply to sender" in "Windows Live Mail"

      Sorry, Harold, this is one more layer of sillyness than I had reckoned
      with. You are not, as I had assumed, using the web interface of the
      yahoo-groups, -- see the link to
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic/> automatically added to the
      bottom of this message -- but are receiving list mails. But you are not
      using a decent email program and instead access mail through a web
      interface. This is something I only do in emergencies and then never the
      Microsoft one.

      But I have got a hotmail address for the rare occasions, when I need to
      stay anonymous. I just sent myself a message with the reply-to set, as
      our listmails are. The "reply" button, top right, sends to the reply-to
      address as it should. But top left there is the sender's name and a
      button "add to contacts". The latter does just what it says and the
      former, when hovered, shows the sender's address and seems to offer a
      "send email", which - not surprising with Microsoft - does not work. As
      the web page has 210 syntax errors on a single page, it's surprising
      that anything works at all.

      But still, if you look around even in this primitive and decidedly
      substandard environment the sender's address can be found.

      Axel
    • Harold Noffke
      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2011
        Axel:

        I went to the Off-Topic website and tried to send you a personal test
        message, but it bounced ...

        Delivery to the following recipients failed.
        absalom_nemini@...

        What am I still doing wrong?

        Thanks.
        RetiredEngineer1

        Message 3 of 7 , May 14, 2011
          Harold Noffke wrote:
          > Delivery to the following recipients failed.
          > absalom_nemini@...
          >
          > What am I still doing wrong?

          I've no idea, frankly. How did you come up with that address? I have
          just tried it out. Viewing a message I see the sender's truncated
          address to the right of it, which in my case begins with Axel-Berger@...
          At the top there is a reply button and you can choose between "to
          group", "to sender", and "to group owner". Choosing the second you still
          won't see the full address but the message will go out. I just tried
          sending one each to you and to me and mine worked.

          At first I thought it must be my mistake. I did use the Absalom
          pseudonym once and at first did enter one such address into Yahoo, but
          it never ever was a yahoo.com address. It doesn't exist and as far as I
          can remember (may be faulty) it never did. How did you come by that
          address?

          Axel
        • Alex Plantema
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2011
            Op zaterdag 14 mei 2011 22:02 schreef Axel Berger:

            > Harold Noffke wrote:
            >> I clicked "Reply to sender" in "Windows Live Mail"
            >
            > Sorry, Harold, this is one more layer of sillyness than I had reckoned
            > with. You are not, as I had assumed, using the web interface of the
            > yahoo-groups, -- see the link to
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic/> automatically added to
            > the bottom of this message -- but are receiving list mails. But you
            > are not using a decent email program and instead access mail through
            > a web interface. This is something I only do in emergencies and then
            > never the Microsoft one.
            >
            > But I have got a hotmail address for the rare occasions, when I need

            Windows Live Mail is an e-mail program, not a web interface like
            Windows Live Hotmail.

            Alex.
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2011
              Alex Plantema wrote:
              > Windows Live Mail is an e-mail program,

              Thanks, Alex, didn't know that. Is it the successor to Outlook express?
              I seem to half remember having read something about its demise.

              Danke
              Axel
            • Alex Plantema
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2011
                Op zondag 15 mei 2011 10:37 schreef Axel Berger:

                > Alex Plantema wrote:
                >> Windows Live Mail is an e-mail program,
                >
                > Thanks, Alex, didn't know that. Is it the successor to Outlook
                > express? I seem to half remember having read something about its
                > demise.

                Windows Mail was the successor of Outlook Express.
                It was a part of Windows Vista, but discontinued with Windows 7.

                Windows Live Mail is a separate program, which can be installed
                on Windows XP, Vista and 7.

                Alex.
              • Harold Noffke
                Message 7 of 7 , May 15, 2011
                  Axel:

                  Re: How did you come by that address?

                  Please see the attached Off Topic .png file for a screen shot of where I
                  found "absalom_nemini" for your posting.

                  I can't speak to Windows Live Mail's provenance, but I can tell you that
                  what it does is create a slightly rearranged mirror of everything in my
                  HotMail account.

                  I am still baffled by the directions you gave me to locate personal email
                  addresses in the ntb-Offtopic Yahoo header (see 2nd .png pic). The "to
                  group", "to sender", and "to group owner" link names do not appear there.

                  Sorry I'm causing so much confusion. Should I be trying something else?

                  Thanks.
                  RetiredEngineer1

                  "Old engineers never die -- they just get confused."