Re: [NTO] parts of an inch

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 14 , May 12, 2011
      Hi Lotta,

      On 12 May 11 01:14 loro <tabbie@...> said:
      > But now I have encountered values like 10 1/0.
      > Makes no sense to me. Help!

      I'm a Brit and I'd confirm what the previous Yanks have said about
      both rulers and spreadsheets.

      Greg
      Confused as well!
      Message 2 of 14 , May 12, 2011
        Harold Noffke wrote:
        >I don't know where your numbers came from, because they are probably not
        >numbers -- just symbolic representations of same. If you are working a
        >spreadsheet, check the data typing to be sure you are working with
        >"numbers", if that is your intent, rather than "text" or "symbols". I've
        >encountered similar befuddlements in MS Excel work, and the reason is always
        >that I've formatted cells with the wrong data type.

        Sorry, I should have said what it was from start, but I thought the
        notation would be obvious to you guys. It's actually in a table of
        shoe sizes and you are supposed to measure the length of your feet.
        I'll mail them before I order, but I wanted find out what I could on
        my own first. Here is the table and the n/0 construct occurs several times.
        <http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=22>

        And yeah, you may laugh at the thought of me in one of those mocs.
        I'm experiencing feet bliss here since I started to use minimalist
        shoes AKA as barefoot shoes (no supporting padding, thin soft soles
        and flat as slices of bread). I've thrown all my orthopedically
        correct shoes with support in every possible place away. It's scary
        how easily we are tricked into believing we need this or that... The
        shoes I've already got still look like shoes though, but now I'm
        ready to try these. Geronimo!

        Note: If you laugh more than a minute I will haunt you, wearing my
        mocs of course. ;-)

        Message 3 of 14 , May 12, 2011
          loro wrote:
          > Here is the table and the n/0 construct occurs several times.

          I've solved it, and this actually makes us on-topic again. Those clowns
          have specified a width and height slightly off from the true dimensions
          of the image. What you see are scaling artefacts. If you right-click
          and view image you'll find, that what's actually meant here are eighths.

          Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 14 , May 12, 2011
            Hi Axel,

            On 12 May 11 12:48 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
            > Those clowns have specified a width and height slightly off from the
            > true dimensions of the image. What you see are scaling artefacts.
            > If you right-click and view image you'll find, that what's actually
            > meant here are eighths.

            Goodness! You're right, of course, but my copy of Firefox 4.0.1 seemed
            not to lose the 0/8 difference, so I'd never had spotted that.

            Greg
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , May 12, 2011
              Hi
              use the footwear sizing chart it has both cm and in ,get a real ruler check
              before you print.
              THANKYOU DAVE M
              Message 6 of 14 , May 12, 2011
                Axel Berger wrote:
                >loro wrote:
                > > Here is the table and the n/0 construct occurs several times.
                >
                >I've solved it, and this actually makes us on-topic again. Those clowns
                >have specified a width and height slightly off from the true dimensions
                >of the image. What you see are scaling artefacts. If you right-click
                >and view image you'll find, that what's actually meant here are eighths.

                By Jove, you are right! Never occurred to me as I see perfectly
                shaped zeros. Maybe I should stop cursing over these stupid American
                measurements then. ;-o)
                I'll tell them about this when I mail them.

                Dave wrote:
                >use the footwear sizing chart it has both cm and in ,get a real ruler check
                >before you print.

                I would, but it's only for kids. I've drawn the contour of my foot on
                a paper, but according to their conversion table I'm an European 40 -
                41 and I'm not, more like 38 - 39. Maybe I convert to the wrong kind
                of inches. On the other hand the footprint on the paper does look
                like the Yeti had put its paw on it... Better talk to them.

                Many thanks!
                Lotta
              • Harold Noffke
                Message 7 of 14 , May 12, 2011
                  Lotta:

                  It may help you to have available on-screen horizontal and vertical rulers.
                  There's an old freeware app called "Screen Loupe" which has these rulers in
                  its Tools menu. The magnifier won't work in Windows 7 Aero mode, but will
                  work in Windows 7 Classic mode. The rulers work in both modes.

                  You can download Loupe from http://members.aol.com/GreggBraun/HomePage.htm.
                  If you have trouble from this site, I'll be happy to email a .zip file to
                  you, if you will just send me your personal email address.

                  How you get my personal address on this public website is another issue.
                  I've no experience emailing person-to-person in NoteTab's forums, so beyond
                  officially authorizing you to have my address I am clueless.

                  Regards,
                  RetiredEngineer1

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 12, 2011
                    Harold Noffke wrote:
                    >You can download Loupe from http://members.aol.com/GreggBraun/HomePage.htm.
                    >If you have trouble from this site, I'll be happy to email a .zip file to
                    >you, if you will just send me your personal email address.

                    Thanks Harold, but I actually have it already. The measuring isn't
                    the problem really, I can do it on paper, it's just that the sizes in
                    their tables don't add up. I need to talk to them anyway since there
                    are other things I want to ask so I'll let them sort it out.

                    >How you get my personal address on this public website is another issue.
                    >I've no experience emailing person-to-person in NoteTab's forums, so beyond
                    >officially authorizing you to have my address I am clueless.

                    The original sender's email address is in the headers if you can make
                    them visible in your email program.

                    Lotta AKA Yeti
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 12, 2011
                      Harold Noffke wrote:
                      > How you get my personal address on this public website is
                      > another issue.

                      Let me amplify Lotta's answer. This is not a website or a forum but a
                      mailing list, meaning a pseudo-email-address distributiong all incoming
                      mail to a lot of real adresses. Using this you get all the power and
                      features of your mail program. Yahoo also offer a web interface into the
                      list. This is a nice fallback when not at home and using a someone
                      else's computer but nothing more.
                      While you need to become accepted as a member before reading posts the
                      normal way the Web interface is open to all. For this and other reasons
                      addresses are protected. You can still send mail to participants through
                      a web form.

                      Axel
                    • Harold Noffke
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 14, 2011
                        Axel,

                        I clicked "Reply to sender" in "Windows Live Mail" to send this message.
                        You say, "You can still send mail to participants through a web form."
                        Where do I find this form?

                        Thanks.
                        RE1

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 14, 2011
                          Hi Harold,

                          On 14 May 11 16:32 Harold Noffke <noffkehw@...> said:
                          > I clicked "Reply to sender" in "Windows Live Mail" to send this
                          > message. You say, "You can still send mail to participants through a
                          > web form." Where do I find this form?

                          See the list of links you'll see at the end of any message - that's if
                          you've set your YahooGroups preferences to "Traditional". If you don;t
                          your mail is invested with bandwidth wasteing graphical adverts, and
                          you don;t see the links...

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          >
                          > <-> To visit your group on the web, go to:

                          Greg