RE: [NTO] parts of an inch

  • John Wallace
    Message 1 of 14 , May 11 6:33 PM
      Maybe a misprint?
      (10 1/0)

      On a tape measure it will be in 16ths of an inch usually.
      1/8" would be 2 X 1/16", etc.

      Takes 16 1/16" to make an inch.
      Or 4 1/4" to make an inch.
      :)

      _____

      Message 2 of 14 , May 11 7:18 PM
        Loro:

        I don't know where your numbers came from, because they are probably not
        numbers -- just symbolic representations of same. If you are working a
        spreadsheet, check the data typing to be sure you are working with
        "numbers", if that is your intent, rather than "text" or "symbols". I've
        encountered similar befuddlements in MS Excel work, and the reason is always
        that I've formatted cells with the wrong data type.

        Hope this helps some. If not, please let us know what application you are
        working with.

        RetiredEngineer1

        Message 3 of 14 , May 12 1:27 AM
          Hi Lotta,

          On 12 May 11 01:14 loro <tabbie@...> said:
          > But now I have encountered values like 10 1/0.
          > Makes no sense to me. Help!

          I'm a Brit and I'd confirm what the previous Yanks have said about
          both rulers and spreadsheets.

          Greg
          Confused as well!
          Message 4 of 14 , May 12 2:57 AM
            Harold Noffke wrote:
            >I don't know where your numbers came from, because they are probably not
            >numbers -- just symbolic representations of same. If you are working a
            >spreadsheet, check the data typing to be sure you are working with
            >"numbers", if that is your intent, rather than "text" or "symbols". I've
            >encountered similar befuddlements in MS Excel work, and the reason is always
            >that I've formatted cells with the wrong data type.

            Sorry, I should have said what it was from start, but I thought the
            notation would be obvious to you guys. It's actually in a table of
            shoe sizes and you are supposed to measure the length of your feet.
            I'll mail them before I order, but I wanted find out what I could on
            my own first. Here is the table and the n/0 construct occurs several times.
            <http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=22>

            And yeah, you may laugh at the thought of me in one of those mocs.
            I'm experiencing feet bliss here since I started to use minimalist
            shoes AKA as barefoot shoes (no supporting padding, thin soft soles
            and flat as slices of bread). I've thrown all my orthopedically
            correct shoes with support in every possible place away. It's scary
            how easily we are tricked into believing we need this or that... The
            shoes I've already got still look like shoes though, but now I'm
            ready to try these. Geronimo!

            Note: If you laugh more than a minute I will haunt you, wearing my
            mocs of course. ;-)

            Message 5 of 14 , May 12 4:48 AM
              loro wrote:
              > Here is the table and the n/0 construct occurs several times.

              I've solved it, and this actually makes us on-topic again. Those clowns
              have specified a width and height slightly off from the true dimensions
              of the image. What you see are scaling artefacts. If you right-click
              and view image you'll find, that what's actually meant here are eighths.

              Johann-Häck-Str. 14 Fax: +49/ 2174/ 7439 68
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 14 , May 12 5:50 AM
                Hi Axel,

                On 12 May 11 12:48 Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> said:
                > Those clowns have specified a width and height slightly off from the
                > true dimensions of the image. What you see are scaling artefacts.
                > If you right-click and view image you'll find, that what's actually
                > meant here are eighths.

                Goodness! You're right, of course, but my copy of Firefox 4.0.1 seemed
                not to lose the 0/8 difference, so I'd never had spotted that.

                Greg
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 14 , May 12 6:02 AM
                  Hi
                  use the footwear sizing chart it has both cm and in ,get a real ruler check
                  before you print.
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 12 7:20 AM
                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    >loro wrote:
                    > > Here is the table and the n/0 construct occurs several times.
                    >
                    >I've solved it, and this actually makes us on-topic again. Those clowns
                    >have specified a width and height slightly off from the true dimensions
                    >of the image. What you see are scaling artefacts. If you right-click
                    >and view image you'll find, that what's actually meant here are eighths.

                    By Jove, you are right! Never occurred to me as I see perfectly
                    shaped zeros. Maybe I should stop cursing over these stupid American
                    measurements then. ;-o)
                    I'll tell them about this when I mail them.

                    Dave wrote:
                    >use the footwear sizing chart it has both cm and in ,get a real ruler check
                    >before you print.

                    I would, but it's only for kids. I've drawn the contour of my foot on
                    a paper, but according to their conversion table I'm an European 40 -
                    41 and I'm not, more like 38 - 39. Maybe I convert to the wrong kind
                    of inches. On the other hand the footprint on the paper does look
                    like the Yeti had put its paw on it... Better talk to them.

                    Many thanks!
                    Lotta
                  • Harold Noffke
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 12 9:38 AM
                      Lotta:

                      It may help you to have available on-screen horizontal and vertical rulers.
                      There's an old freeware app called "Screen Loupe" which has these rulers in
                      its Tools menu. The magnifier won't work in Windows 7 Aero mode, but will
                      work in Windows 7 Classic mode. The rulers work in both modes.

                      You can download Loupe from http://members.aol.com/GreggBraun/HomePage.htm.
                      If you have trouble from this site, I'll be happy to email a .zip file to
                      you, if you will just send me your personal email address.

                      How you get my personal address on this public website is another issue.
                      I've no experience emailing person-to-person in NoteTab's forums, so beyond
                      officially authorizing you to have my address I am clueless.

                      Regards,
                      RetiredEngineer1

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12 12:19 PM
                        Harold Noffke wrote:
                        >You can download Loupe from http://members.aol.com/GreggBraun/HomePage.htm.
                        >If you have trouble from this site, I'll be happy to email a .zip file to
                        >you, if you will just send me your personal email address.

                        Thanks Harold, but I actually have it already. The measuring isn't
                        the problem really, I can do it on paper, it's just that the sizes in
                        their tables don't add up. I need to talk to them anyway since there
                        are other things I want to ask so I'll let them sort it out.

                        >How you get my personal address on this public website is another issue.
                        >I've no experience emailing person-to-person in NoteTab's forums, so beyond
                        >officially authorizing you to have my address I am clueless.

                        The original sender's email address is in the headers if you can make
                        them visible in your email program.

                        Lotta AKA Yeti
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 12 1:23 PM
                          Harold Noffke wrote:
                          > How you get my personal address on this public website is
                          > another issue.

                          Let me amplify Lotta's answer. This is not a website or a forum but a
                          mailing list, meaning a pseudo-email-address distributiong all incoming
                          mail to a lot of real adresses. Using this you get all the power and
                          features of your mail program. Yahoo also offer a web interface into the
                          list. This is a nice fallback when not at home and using a someone
                          else's computer but nothing more.
                          While you need to become accepted as a member before reading posts the
                          normal way the Web interface is open to all. For this and other reasons
                          addresses are protected. You can still send mail to participants through
                          a web form.

                          Axel
                        • Harold Noffke
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 14 8:32 AM
                            Axel,

                            I clicked "Reply to sender" in "Windows Live Mail" to send this message.
                            You say, "You can still send mail to participants through a web form."
                            Where do I find this form?

                            Thanks.
                            RE1

                            Message 13 of 14 , May 14 10:13 AM
                              Hi Harold,

                              On 14 May 11 16:32 Harold Noffke <noffkehw@...> said:
                              > I clicked "Reply to sender" in "Windows Live Mail" to send this
                              > message. You say, "You can still send mail to participants through a
                              > web form." Where do I find this form?

                              See the list of links you'll see at the end of any message - that's if
                              you've set your YahooGroups preferences to "Traditional". If you don;t
                              your mail is invested with bandwidth wasteing graphical adverts, and
                              you don;t see the links...

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links
                              >
                              > <-> To visit your group on the web, go to:

                              Greg