XP folder settings question

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 18, 2011
      I recently did a fresh XP pro install.
      I have all the SPs and updates installed.

      Here is the problem:

      With my previous install I was able to set the folder "Open" action to
      launch Explorer.
      Also, I had my precious install set to open folder in the same window as
      the current folder.

      Neither of these functions work with my new install even though I have
      the setting changed to do so.

      Does anyone know if there are any registry settings which can be
      added/installed to correct this?

      Thanks,
      -Mike
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 18, 2011
        Mike wrote:
        >Also, I had my precious install set to open folder in the same window as
        >the current folder.

        Open any folder and go to Tools | Folder Options -> General tab ->
        Tick "Open each folder in the same window".

        Lotta
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 18, 2011
          On 3/18/2011 7:00 AM, loro wrote:
          > Mike wrote:
          > >Also, I had my precious install set to open folder in the same window as
          > >the current folder.
          >
          > Open any folder and go to Tools | Folder Options -> General tab ->
          > Tick "Open each folder in the same window".

          Been there. Done that. Numerous times.
          For some reason tat is not working.
          -Mike

          > Lotta

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 18, 2011
            Hi
            you are the administrator I assume ?
            I gather you have tried to open my computer then tools and folder options
            and tick open in same folder and apply close my computer(cross in corner)
            then restart it.
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 18, 2011
              On 3/18/2011 9:00 AM, Dave wrote:
              > Hi
              > you are the administrator I assume ?

              Yes.

              > I gather you have tried to open my computer then tools and folder options
              > and tick open in same folder and apply close my computer(cross in corner)
              > then restart it.

              There is the option:
              "Launch folder windows in separate process."

              It was unchecked.

              Thanks,
              -Mike

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                On 3/18/2011 7:00 AM, loro wrote:
                > Mike wrote:
                > >Also, I had my previous install set to open folders in the same window as
                > >the current folder.
                >
                > Open any folder and go to Tools | Folder Options -> General tab ->
                > Tick "Open each folder in the same window".

                This is still driving me nuts!
                All the folder/file setting mirror what are on my other XP machines.
                But, on this machine they do not function.

                Before I know it I have 10-15 folders open in separate windows

                Anyone know of a way of solving this via the registry?

                If all else fails I will start back tracking with Restore and see what
                happens. But, that will mean reinstalling Apps, et cetera.

                Thanks,
                -Mike
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                  Hi
                  try going to folder options hitting the default button and then go to view
                  and reset all folders apply
                  then do what you want again.
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                    On 3/21/2011 8:29 AM, Dave wrote:
                    > Hi
                    > try going to folder options hitting the default button and then go to view
                    > and reset all folders apply
                    > then do what you want again.
                    > THANKYOU DAVE M

                    Tried that, then restarted.
                    No change.

                    Thanks for the idea.
                    -Mike

                    ==============

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                      SOLVED!
                      I was just sent this:
                      ===========
                      This page, http://windowsxp.mvps.org/samewindow.htm has a .REG file you
                      can download. After downloading, double click the file and allow the
                      information to be merged into the registry. It really should fix it
                      based on my reading of the .REG file, I hope it works for you.
                      ===========

                      That did the trick.

                      -Mike

                      On 3/21/2011 1:42 PM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                      > On 3/21/2011 8:29 AM, Dave wrote:
                      > > Hi
                      > > try going to folder options hitting the default button and then go to
                      > view
                      > > and reset all folders apply
                      > > then do what you want again.
                      > > THANKYOU DAVE M
                      >
                      > Tried that, then restarted.
                      > No change.
                      >
                      > Thanks for the idea.
                      > -Mike
                      >
                      > ==============

                    • Alex Plantema
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 21, 2011
                        Op vrijdag 18 maart 2011 11:03 schreef Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV:

                        > With my previous install I was able to set the folder "Open" action to
                        > launch Explorer.
                        > Also, I had my precious install set to open folder in the same window
                        > as the current folder.
                        >
                        > Neither of these functions work with my new install even though I have
                        > the setting changed to do so.
                        >
                        > Does anyone know if there are any registry settings which can be
                        > added/installed to correct this?

                        Open My Computer. Click Tools, Folder Options, tab File types.
                        Select Folder in the list, Advanced, select explore under Actions.
                        This might affect all users.

                        Alex.