Re: [NTO] scanning format

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 17, 2011
      Hi
      If you check most documents you have OCR'ed they will be TIF ,the images are
      usually the way the owner want them saved in B/W or COLOUR.
      THANKYOU DAVE-211

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 17, 2011
        Adrien Verlee wrote:
        > Crystal ball!

        Anything that is massive now won't go away too soon, as too many
        customers would be miffed. Look at GIF or IE6. I'd agree that Jpeg will
        possibly always be better supported than PNG but the difference is not
        enough to forego the advantages of the latter.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2011
          Dave wrote:
          > If you check most documents you have OCR'ed they will be TIF,
          > the images are usually the way the owner want them saved in
          > B/W or COLOUR.

          Dave, I'm not sure what you are saying here, but I guess you're talking
          about graphics extracted from PDFs, where the OCRed text is behind the
          page image. If so I disagree. It is true that the extraction, I use
          pdfimages.exe from the XPDF package, yields uncompressed Tiffs. The
          reason seems to be simply that the act of reading (and displaying)
          includes the decompression already and the extractor makes do without
          the extra complication of a compression step (rightly so, one task, one
          tool).

          But in all the PDFs I generate myself I notice that there is no recoding
          but all my graphic material is included as is. Whatever I include, Jpeg
          in all kinds of quality, PNG in B/W, gray, full colour, 256 colours, 16
          colours (great for diagrams and extremely small, but makes PDF
          exceedingly slow, so I don't use it), the size of the PDF follows
          exactly the sum of the sizes of embedded graphics.

          So my guess is you are a victim of a misconception here, but I may have
          misunderstood or be wrong.