Re: [NTO] scanning format

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
      Adrien Verlee wrote:
      > The best scanning format of the future (for OCR processing)?

      PNG is the best supported lossless(!) graphics format and the one I
      always scan to and sometimes convert later. For pure black and white and
      if reduction to 256 colours is possible the files are also smaller than
      high quality Jpeg. If you should need full colour depth and file size is
      an issue (isn't it always?), then Jpeg at a quality of 95 to 100 % (as
      used in Irfanview, these values are not standardized across programs)
      yields negligible loss at significantly smaller files.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 14, 2011
        john041650 wrote:
        > TIFF, it's a well established lossless standard

        Agreed, but it is totally uncompressed which means huge. You can ZIP
        Tiffs to about 2 %, i.e. fifty times smaller, but I prefer a lossless
        and compressed graphics format like PNG.

        N.B: Adrian: PDF is not a raster graphics format but only a wrapper
        around it. Most PDF generators will internally use bad and low quality
        Jpeg, so that one is decidedly off.

        Axel
      • Adrien Verlee
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 17, 2011
          Op 15/03/2011 3:39, Axel Berger schreef:
          > PNG is the best supported lossless(!) graphics format and the one I
          > always scan to and sometimes convert later. For pure black and white and

          In fact, the problem as to which format the OCR software can import
          within a decade. Crystal ball!
          --
          adrien
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 17, 2011
            Hi
            If you check most documents you have OCR'ed they will be TIF ,the images are
            usually the way the owner want them saved in B/W or COLOUR.
            THANKYOU DAVE-211

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 17, 2011
              Adrien Verlee wrote:
              > Crystal ball!

              Anything that is massive now won't go away too soon, as too many
              customers would be miffed. Look at GIF or IE6. I'd agree that Jpeg will
              possibly always be better supported than PNG but the difference is not
              enough to forego the advantages of the latter.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 17, 2011
                Dave wrote:
                > If you check most documents you have OCR'ed they will be TIF,
                > the images are usually the way the owner want them saved in
                > B/W or COLOUR.

                Dave, I'm not sure what you are saying here, but I guess you're talking
                about graphics extracted from PDFs, where the OCRed text is behind the
                page image. If so I disagree. It is true that the extraction, I use
                pdfimages.exe from the XPDF package, yields uncompressed Tiffs. The
                reason seems to be simply that the act of reading (and displaying)
                includes the decompression already and the extractor makes do without
                the extra complication of a compression step (rightly so, one task, one
                tool).

                But in all the PDFs I generate myself I notice that there is no recoding
                but all my graphic material is included as is. Whatever I include, Jpeg
                in all kinds of quality, PNG in B/W, gray, full colour, 256 colours, 16
                colours (great for diagrams and extremely small, but makes PDF
                exceedingly slow, so I don't use it), the size of the PDF follows
                exactly the sum of the sizes of embedded graphics.

                So my guess is you are a victim of a misconception here, but I may have
                misunderstood or be wrong.