Re: [NTO] Not sure what I'm doing

  • kathleen.kearns
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
      Originally, it was utilizing the maximum number of columns. Little by little whittling it down by eliminating unnecessary columns from the benefit program canned report that is imported into Excel as well as vlookup formulas. Working with our benefit program vendor to see if they can restructure the canned report to be easier to manipulate. One of the reasons why I'm reaching out for advice is because the report is difficult to protect from the other users entering bad data or wiping out formulas or worse, the report itself...delete key is dangerous for a few of them. There is a small number of columns where we manually enter data, such as notes and payments made.

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
        "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
        > This Excel file is also a "shared" file so that we can work
        > on it at the same time. I was hoping to be able to set up
        > something like a web page with all the data and formulas
        > running in the background.

        Well, that is exactly my suggestion. For setting it up I'd suggest
        getting help from someone who's done it before. Maintenance later should
        be easier.

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
          "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
          > There is a small number of columns where we manually
          > enter data, such as notes and payments made.

          Alright, so these columns are not data but internal machinery. They
          could be stuffed into the "programming" of Access leaving only those
          fields that contain real data and yielding a tight and compact Access
          solution. If you are familiar with Access or have someone there who is,
          that may be the better solution for you. After all you have already
          thrown out loads of money for that proprietary software, why not use it?

          Axel
        • kathleen.kearns
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
            True. Approximately 100 columns are data that is imported. The remainder are either manually entered or formulas based on the imported data. Problem with Access is that it can't be shared at the same time. I guess what I'm trying to do is dummy proof the process so that anyone will only need to import the data, enter a few fields manually and be done with it and at the same time make it look good, like a web page. We had a process that was fairly manual with the documentation mailing handled by an outside vendor but that turned into a disaster and morphed into an internal project for me. I make mistakes too so if i could simplify and have it look good (not in Excel or database look).

            I really appreciate all of you trying to help figure this out. Nice to know there are groups like this to bounce off ideas.

            Kathleen