[NTO] Re: Not sure what I'm doing

  • kathleen.kearns
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
      Hi Lotta,

      You are correct. The current Excel file is on a shared internal server, accessible only to specific employees. This Excel file is also a "shared" file so that we can work on it at the same time. I was hoping to be able to set up something like a web page with all the data and formulas running in the background. I've used Access and it is the more logical option but it can't function properly if it is a shared file, can't handle the 240+ columns and not sure all the different formulas can work..or if I can figure out how to do it to begin with. :} The file is then merged into a Word document so that forms can be printed and mailed. We've tried to find a vendor to handle it but there to many complications with our company's policies and benefit program.

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > Don you wrote:
      > >Any responsible web hosting provider includes both, both are also
      > >available without cost to run on a local server if you want. You can
      > >run apache, mysql and php.
      >
      > If this thing is going to run on a shared drive at Kathleen's work,
      > there won't be a host involved. But you'd need to run a server if
      > this is to be some kind of web application, Kathleen. Maybe you
      > already do and depending on what server it is, there may be other
      > options than PHP+ MySQL. Not that I know anything about converting
      > Access to anything else. BTW I think Access can run on MS servers,
      > but again I know nothing about that either. :-)
      >
      > Lotta

    • kathleen.kearns
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
        Originally, it was utilizing the maximum number of columns. Little by little whittling it down by eliminating unnecessary columns from the benefit program canned report that is imported into Excel as well as vlookup formulas. Working with our benefit program vendor to see if they can restructure the canned report to be easier to manipulate. One of the reasons why I'm reaching out for advice is because the report is difficult to protect from the other users entering bad data or wiping out formulas or worse, the report itself...delete key is dangerous for a few of them. There is a small number of columns where we manually enter data, such as notes and payments made.

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
          "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
          > This Excel file is also a "shared" file so that we can work
          > on it at the same time. I was hoping to be able to set up
          > something like a web page with all the data and formulas
          > running in the background.

          Well, that is exactly my suggestion. For setting it up I'd suggest
          getting help from someone who's done it before. Maintenance later should
          be easier.

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
            "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
            > There is a small number of columns where we manually
            > enter data, such as notes and payments made.

            Alright, so these columns are not data but internal machinery. They
            could be stuffed into the "programming" of Access leaving only those
            fields that contain real data and yielding a tight and compact Access
            solution. If you are familiar with Access or have someone there who is,
            that may be the better solution for you. After all you have already
            thrown out loads of money for that proprietary software, why not use it?

            Axel
          • kathleen.kearns
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
              True. Approximately 100 columns are data that is imported. The remainder are either manually entered or formulas based on the imported data. Problem with Access is that it can't be shared at the same time. I guess what I'm trying to do is dummy proof the process so that anyone will only need to import the data, enter a few fields manually and be done with it and at the same time make it look good, like a web page. We had a process that was fairly manual with the documentation mailing handled by an outside vendor but that turned into a disaster and morphed into an internal project for me. I make mistakes too so if i could simplify and have it look good (not in Excel or database look).

              I really appreciate all of you trying to help figure this out. Nice to know there are groups like this to bounce off ideas.

              Kathleen