Re: [NTO] Not sure what I'm doing

  • kathleen.kearns
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
      Hi Axel,

      I think it is because of the size of the file. Nearly 240 columns are in the Excel file and at the moment 400 rows. I'm looking into making it smaller but even then not sure how to work all the different formulas for the final product -- but that's another learning experience.

      I'm not sure what MySQL, PHP and Apache are but know for certain if my work computer doesn't already have it, management won't spring for the program.

      --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, Axel Berger <Axel-Berger@...> wrote:

      > "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
      > > Its like a database but too big for Access.
      >
      > I wonder. Access can't cope in ints core competence but Excel can in a
      > peripheral capability? I'm still looking for any database app equal to
      > my old 1stBASE so I may finally ditch the emulated Atari, but in vain.
      >
      > > Any help is greatly appreciated.
      >
      > As you're asking here the obvious answer must be MySQL, PHP and Apache.
      > A steep learnig curve but worth it.
      >
      > Axel

    • Don
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
        mySQL and php are undoubtedly the easiest/best answers -- or some other
        language (Ruby on Rails, etc.)
        I agree that there is a curve ... but again you'll come out much better
        in the end I think.

        On 2/11/2011 5:18 AM, Adrien Verlee wrote:
        > Op 11/02/2011 1:48, kathleen.kearns schreef:
        >> I apologize if I'm in the wrong place. I have no experience in setting up html and not sure if I'm looking for the right thSng. I have an Excel file that uses complicated formulas, tracks payments, etc - lots of data entry. Its like a database but too big for Access. I'd like to set up a page that my coworkers could use to enter basic information and the program runs in the background. Based on the information entered, the page would show how much someone would need to pay for a specific period of time, if there is a change, would make the change going forward for the allotted time period and allow us to print the documents to be mailed with the appropriate information.
        >>

        > There are "HTML Table Filter Generators" But probably not exactly what
        > you should need/have.
        > See: http://tablefilter.free.fr/

      • kathleen.kearns
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
          Would this be some thing that would have to be purchased?

          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
            Any responsible web hosting provider includes both, both are also
            available without cost to run on a local server if you want. You can
            run apache, mysql and php.

            I would however do it on-line with a log in. Personally much easier
            than setting up your own.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 11, 2011
              Don you wrote:
              >Any responsible web hosting provider includes both, both are also
              >available without cost to run on a local server if you want. You can
              >run apache, mysql and php.

              If this thing is going to run on a shared drive at Kathleen's work,
              there won't be a host involved. But you'd need to run a server if
              this is to be some kind of web application, Kathleen. Maybe you
              already do and depending on what server it is, there may be other
              options than PHP+ MySQL. Not that I know anything about converting
              Access to anything else. BTW I think Access can run on MS servers,
              but again I know nothing about that either. :-)

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
                "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
                > the size of the file. Nearly 240 columns are in the Excel file
                > and at the moment 400 rows.

                So in database terms that's 400 entries with 240 fields each. Very
                complex entries, are you sure you can't restructure that as a relational
                database, i.e. can't some of the fields be clumped into subsets?

                > management won't spring for the program.

                That's the least of your problems, they're all free. Access to the
                database would then be through a browser, quite appropriate if, as you
                say, several people need to access and edit the same database.
                MySQL and PHP are the engine of nearly all blogs and nearly all Web 2.0
                sites, so they're highly tried and tested and free of bugs.

                Axel
              • kathleen.kearns
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
                  Hi Lotta,

                  You are correct. The current Excel file is on a shared internal server, accessible only to specific employees. This Excel file is also a "shared" file so that we can work on it at the same time. I was hoping to be able to set up something like a web page with all the data and formulas running in the background. I've used Access and it is the more logical option but it can't function properly if it is a shared file, can't handle the 240+ columns and not sure all the different formulas can work..or if I can figure out how to do it to begin with. :} The file is then merged into a Word document so that forms can be printed and mailed. We've tried to find a vendor to handle it but there to many complications with our company's policies and benefit program.

                  --- In ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                  > Don you wrote:
                  > >Any responsible web hosting provider includes both, both are also
                  > >available without cost to run on a local server if you want. You can
                  > >run apache, mysql and php.
                  >
                  > If this thing is going to run on a shared drive at Kathleen's work,
                  > there won't be a host involved. But you'd need to run a server if
                  > this is to be some kind of web application, Kathleen. Maybe you
                  > already do and depending on what server it is, there may be other
                  > options than PHP+ MySQL. Not that I know anything about converting
                  > Access to anything else. BTW I think Access can run on MS servers,
                  > but again I know nothing about that either. :-)
                  >
                  > Lotta

                • kathleen.kearns
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
                    Originally, it was utilizing the maximum number of columns. Little by little whittling it down by eliminating unnecessary columns from the benefit program canned report that is imported into Excel as well as vlookup formulas. Working with our benefit program vendor to see if they can restructure the canned report to be easier to manipulate. One of the reasons why I'm reaching out for advice is because the report is difficult to protect from the other users entering bad data or wiping out formulas or worse, the report itself...delete key is dangerous for a few of them. There is a small number of columns where we manually enter data, such as notes and payments made.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
                      "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
                      > This Excel file is also a "shared" file so that we can work
                      > on it at the same time. I was hoping to be able to set up
                      > something like a web page with all the data and formulas
                      > running in the background.

                      Well, that is exactly my suggestion. For setting it up I'd suggest
                      getting help from someone who's done it before. Maintenance later should
                      be easier.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
                        "kathleen.kearns" wrote:
                        > There is a small number of columns where we manually
                        > enter data, such as notes and payments made.

                        Alright, so these columns are not data but internal machinery. They
                        could be stuffed into the "programming" of Access leaving only those
                        fields that contain real data and yielding a tight and compact Access
                        solution. If you are familiar with Access or have someone there who is,
                        that may be the better solution for you. After all you have already
                        thrown out loads of money for that proprietary software, why not use it?

                        Axel
                      • kathleen.kearns
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 12, 2011
                          True. Approximately 100 columns are data that is imported. The remainder are either manually entered or formulas based on the imported data. Problem with Access is that it can't be shared at the same time. I guess what I'm trying to do is dummy proof the process so that anyone will only need to import the data, enter a few fields manually and be done with it and at the same time make it look good, like a web page. We had a process that was fairly manual with the documentation mailing handled by an outside vendor but that turned into a disaster and morphed into an internal project for me. I make mistakes too so if i could simplify and have it look good (not in Excel or database look).

                          I really appreciate all of you trying to help figure this out. Nice to know there are groups like this to bounce off ideas.

                          Kathleen