Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
      It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what "ESLers" is intended to mean.

      Bruce

    • Margaret Penfold
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
        ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread
        On 30/01/2011 20:56, bruce.somers@... wrote:

        > It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us
        > what "ESLers" is intended to mean.
        >
        > Bruce

      • Al
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
          loro wrote:
          > Al wrote:
          >
          > <snip>
          >
          >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
          >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
          >>

          > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
          > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

          Instead of that, I think it's the next.

          My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
          which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
          type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
          to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
          steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
          high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

          Here is a definition for milled

          4. A common name for various machines which produce a
          manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
          by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
          sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
          [1913 Webster]
          > Here they use mild.
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
          > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
          > spell your omelette.
          > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
          > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
          >

          >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
          >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
          >>
          >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
          >>

          > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
          > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
          > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

          Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
          thickness, etc. of cast iron).

          So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
          gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
          this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
          steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

          --
          Alan.

        • edward
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
            http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html
            The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
              http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQrQQwAA&fp=d9008d84f286047