Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
      On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

      > Axel wrote:
      > >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
      > >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
      > >university.
      >
      > What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
      > speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
      > sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.
      >
      > Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
      > (Both intentional!)
      > Lotta

      Looks like your smell checker is broken. :-)

      Axel & Lotta - If I did not know you were not native English speakers, your
      fine use of English would have me fooled.

      I know a lot of Americans whose only language is English, and they don't use
      it very well. The written word seems to be the most difficult of all.

      I once saw a sign at a gas station that said. "Checks will not be excepted".
      I pointed out to the clerk that their sign meant that they take checks. She
      looked at me like I was an idiot. Some people might pronounce them the same,
      but "accepted" is the word they were after.

      I try not to overdo things like that, but a sign at a business like that
      invites comment.

      This whole iron/steel thing is interesting. The different colloquialisms
      between each English speaking country are interesting, and often
      frustrating. The company I work for is based in Canada, and I have to make
      sure I pay attention when I try to communicate with someone at corporate. I
      say holiday and mean a date on the calendar like Memorial Day or Christmas.
      They say holiday and mean vacation. I once wrote to the human resources
      department for clarification about which day the office would be closed for
      a holiday when it fell on the weekend, and they thought I was talking about
      my vacation. I am not sure how they thought that based on the context. I
      even referenced the policy manual.

      ~ Larry

    • Al
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
        Interesting! I learned of carbon steel or milled steel cookware (I can
        now add it to my list of types of cookware that I know to exist).

        And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL (BTW I've
        tutored both ESL'rs as well as non ESL'rs in English reading and writing
        at the local junior college here in Sacramento, California U.S.A.)

        http://ouichefcook.com/?p=4534
        ---

        http://www.circulon.com/cs/Satellite/mArticle/1162475169828/circulon/1163100357621/Page/MaterialName/Carbon%2520Steel/en_US/FullPage.htm

        <quote>Carbon steel is often referred to as cold rolled steel or milled
        steel.</quote>

        two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
        of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

        So, it appears that "carbon steel cookware" is equivalent to "milled
        steel cookware"

        Also appears the carbon steel cookware develops a patina (cast iron
        cookware does that too).

        The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
        characteristics of these two different cookwares.

        http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
          Al wrote:
          >And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL

          Thank you both. You are nice.

          >two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
          >of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

          Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
          changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

          Here they use mild.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
          As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
          spell your omelette.
          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel

          >The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
          >characteristics of these two different cookwares.
          >
          >http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808

          I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
          I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
          very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

          Lotta
        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
            It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what "ESLers" is intended to mean.

            Bruce

          • Margaret Penfold
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
              ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread
              On 30/01/2011 20:56, bruce.somers@... wrote:

              > It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us
              > what "ESLers" is intended to mean.
              >
              > Bruce

            • Al
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                loro wrote:
                > Al wrote:
                >
                > <snip>
                >
                >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                >>

                > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

                Here is a definition for milled

                4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                [1913 Webster]
                > Here they use mild.
                > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                > spell your omelette.
                > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                >

                >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                >>
                >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                >>

                > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                --
                Alan.

              • edward
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                  http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html
                  The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                    http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQrQQwAA&fp=d9008d84f286047