Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

Expand Messages
  • loro
    ... What s irritating with those small words, is that if native English speakers make those mistakes it s just a typo. If we do them people sometimes think we
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      Axel wrote:
      >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
      >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
      >university.

      What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
      speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
      sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.

      Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
      (Both intentional!)
      Lotta
    • Larry Hamilton
      ... Looks like your smell checker is broken. :-) Axel & Lotta - If I did not know you were not native English speakers, your fine use of English would have me
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

        > Axel wrote:
        > >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
        > >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
        > >university.
        >
        > What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
        > speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
        > sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.
        >
        > Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
        > (Both intentional!)
        > Lotta
        >

        Looks like your smell checker is broken. :-)

        Axel & Lotta - If I did not know you were not native English speakers, your
        fine use of English would have me fooled.

        I know a lot of Americans whose only language is English, and they don't use
        it very well. The written word seems to be the most difficult of all.

        I once saw a sign at a gas station that said. "Checks will not be excepted".
        I pointed out to the clerk that their sign meant that they take checks. She
        looked at me like I was an idiot. Some people might pronounce them the same,
        but "accepted" is the word they were after.

        I try not to overdo things like that, but a sign at a business like that
        invites comment.

        This whole iron/steel thing is interesting. The different colloquialisms
        between each English speaking country are interesting, and often
        frustrating. The company I work for is based in Canada, and I have to make
        sure I pay attention when I try to communicate with someone at corporate. I
        say holiday and mean a date on the calendar like Memorial Day or Christmas.
        They say holiday and mean vacation. I once wrote to the human resources
        department for clarification about which day the office would be closed for
        a holiday when it fell on the weekend, and they thought I was talking about
        my vacation. I am not sure how they thought that based on the context. I
        even referenced the policy manual.

        ~ Larry


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Al
        Interesting! I learned of carbon steel or milled steel cookware (I can now add it to my list of types of cookware that I know to exist). And, ditto to what
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          Interesting! I learned of carbon steel or milled steel cookware (I can
          now add it to my list of types of cookware that I know to exist).

          And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL (BTW I've
          tutored both ESL'rs as well as non ESL'rs in English reading and writing
          at the local junior college here in Sacramento, California U.S.A.)

          http://ouichefcook.com/?p=4534
          ---

          http://www.circulon.com/cs/Satellite/mArticle/1162475169828/circulon/1163100357621/Page/MaterialName/Carbon%2520Steel/en_US/FullPage.htm

          <quote>Carbon steel is often referred to as cold rolled steel or milled
          steel.</quote>

          two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
          of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

          So, it appears that "carbon steel cookware" is equivalent to "milled
          steel cookware"

          Also appears the carbon steel cookware develops a patina (cast iron
          cookware does that too).

          The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
          characteristics of these two different cookwares.

          http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
        • loro
          ... Thank you both. You are nice. ... Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could milled have changed into mild with time, maybe provincially? Here
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            Al wrote:
            >And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL

            Thank you both. You are nice.

            >two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
            >of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

            Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
            changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

            Here they use mild.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
            As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
            spell your omelette.
            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
            http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel


            >The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
            >characteristics of these two different cookwares.
            >
            >http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808

            I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
            I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
            very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

            Lotta
          • bruce.somers@web.de
            It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what ESLers is intended to mean. Bruce [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what "ESLers" is intended to mean.

              Bruce

              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • Margaret Penfold
              ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread ... [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread
                On 30/01/2011 20:56, bruce.somers@... wrote:
                >
                > It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us
                > what "ESLers" is intended to mean.
                >
                > Bruce
                >



                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • Al
                ... Instead of that, I think it s the next. My guess is that mild steel is the raw material that gets milled (of which I was totally unaware that mild
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  loro wrote:
                  > Al wrote:
                  >
                  > <snip>
                  >
                  >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                  >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                  >>
                  >
                  > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                  > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?
                  >

                  Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                  My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                  which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                  type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                  to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                  steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                  high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel


                  Here is a definition for milled

                  4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                  manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                  by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                  sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                  [1913 Webster]
                  > Here they use mild.
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                  > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                  > spell your omelette.
                  > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                  > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                  >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                  >>
                  >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                  >>
                  >
                  > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                  > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                  > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.
                  >

                  Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                  thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                  So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                  gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                  this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                  steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                  --
                  Alan.



                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • edward
                  http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least. ... From: Al To:
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html
                    The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.
                    ----- Original Message -----
                    From: Al
                    To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
                    Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:14 PM
                    Subject: Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy



                    loro wrote:
                    > Al wrote:
                    >
                    > <snip>
                    >
                    >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                    >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                    >>
                    >
                    > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                    > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?
                    >

                    Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                    My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                    which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                    type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                    to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                    steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                    high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

                    Here is a definition for milled

                    4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                    manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                    by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                    sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                    [1913 Webster]
                    > Here they use mild.
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                    > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                    > spell your omelette.
                    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                    >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                    >>
                    >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                    >>
                    >
                    > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                    > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                    > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.
                    >

                    Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                    thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                    So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                    gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                    this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                    steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                    --
                    Alan.

                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • edward
                    http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment
                      http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQrQQwAA&fp=d9008d84f286047
                      The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.
                      ----- Original Message -----
                      From: Al
                      To: ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com
                      Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2011 6:14 PM
                      Subject: Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy



                      loro wrote:
                      > Al wrote:
                      >
                      > <snip>
                      >
                      >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                      >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                      >>
                      >
                      > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                      > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?
                      >

                      Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                      My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                      which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                      type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                      to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                      steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                      high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

                      Here is a definition for milled

                      4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                      manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                      by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                      sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                      [1913 Webster]
                      > Here they use mild.
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                      > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                      > spell your omelette.
                      > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                      > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                      >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                      >>
                      >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                      >>
                      >
                      > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                      > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                      > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.
                      >

                      Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                      thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                      So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                      gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                      this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                      steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                      --
                      Alan.

                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]





                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.