Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
      Axel wrote:
      >loro wrote:
      > > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)
      >
      >Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
      >some beer too.

      Well, as long as you don't bare with me! Could be dangerous around
      hot pans, that. :-D

      Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

      Lotta.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
        loro wrote:
        > Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

        Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
        very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
        university.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
          Axel wrote:
          >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
          >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
          >university.

          What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
          speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
          sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.

          Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
          (Both intentional!)
          Lotta
        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
            On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

            > Axel wrote:
            > >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
            > >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
            > >university.
            >
            > What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
            > speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
            > sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.
            >
            > Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
            > (Both intentional!)
            > Lotta

            Looks like your smell checker is broken. :-)

            Axel & Lotta - If I did not know you were not native English speakers, your
            fine use of English would have me fooled.

            I know a lot of Americans whose only language is English, and they don't use
            it very well. The written word seems to be the most difficult of all.

            I once saw a sign at a gas station that said. "Checks will not be excepted".
            I pointed out to the clerk that their sign meant that they take checks. She
            looked at me like I was an idiot. Some people might pronounce them the same,
            but "accepted" is the word they were after.

            I try not to overdo things like that, but a sign at a business like that
            invites comment.

            This whole iron/steel thing is interesting. The different colloquialisms
            between each English speaking country are interesting, and often
            frustrating. The company I work for is based in Canada, and I have to make
            sure I pay attention when I try to communicate with someone at corporate. I
            say holiday and mean a date on the calendar like Memorial Day or Christmas.
            They say holiday and mean vacation. I once wrote to the human resources
            department for clarification about which day the office would be closed for
            a holiday when it fell on the weekend, and they thought I was talking about
            my vacation. I am not sure how they thought that based on the context. I
            even referenced the policy manual.

            ~ Larry

          • Al
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
              Interesting! I learned of carbon steel or milled steel cookware (I can
              now add it to my list of types of cookware that I know to exist).

              And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL (BTW I've
              tutored both ESL'rs as well as non ESL'rs in English reading and writing
              at the local junior college here in Sacramento, California U.S.A.)

              http://ouichefcook.com/?p=4534
              ---

              http://www.circulon.com/cs/Satellite/mArticle/1162475169828/circulon/1163100357621/Page/MaterialName/Carbon%2520Steel/en_US/FullPage.htm

              <quote>Carbon steel is often referred to as cold rolled steel or milled
              steel.</quote>

              two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
              of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

              So, it appears that "carbon steel cookware" is equivalent to "milled
              steel cookware"

              Also appears the carbon steel cookware develops a patina (cast iron
              cookware does that too).

              The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
              characteristics of these two different cookwares.

              http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                Al wrote:
                >And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL

                Thank you both. You are nice.

                >two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                >of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                Here they use mild.
                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                spell your omelette.
                http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel

                >The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                >characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                >
                >http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808

                I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                Lotta
              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                  It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what "ESLers" is intended to mean.

                  Bruce

                • Margaret Penfold
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                    ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread
                    On 30/01/2011 20:56, bruce.somers@... wrote:

                    > It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us
                    > what "ESLers" is intended to mean.
                    >
                    > Bruce

                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                      loro wrote:
                      > Al wrote:
                      >
                      > <snip>
                      >
                      >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                      >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                      >>

                      > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                      > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                      Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                      My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                      which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                      type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                      to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                      steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                      high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

                      Here is a definition for milled

                      4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                      manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                      by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                      sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                      [1913 Webster]
                      > Here they use mild.
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                      > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                      > spell your omelette.
                      > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                      > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                      >

                      >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                      >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                      >>
                      >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                      >>

                      > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                      > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                      > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                      Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                      thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                      So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                      gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                      this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                      steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                      --
                      Alan.

                    • edward
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                        http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html
                        The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                          http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQrQQwAA&fp=d9008d84f286047