Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
      Axel Berger wrote:
      >Dave wrote:
      > > you would a light weight pan so you can flip omelette
      >
      >Alright, if that's the case then I do accept that mild steel may be
      >preferable to higher quality. Tossing food into the air is an
      >Anglo-saxon custom unheard of to us stolid and slow-moving Germans.

      Exactly. I should have been more clear. I know what cast iron is and
      that's the only material I use for frying pans - so far. And yes, we
      do produce cast iron pans and pots here. Good ones too. I have some
      lovely ones after my grandmother, probably from the beginning of the
      last century. The only advantage of my new ones is that they have an
      isolated handle. Hope you like your Swedish pan fw. What is it?
      Skeppshult? Ronneby?

      But I've always wanted an omelette pan made of what I call carbon
      steel as I've seen used abroad. That's what I can't find in Sweden. I
      don't think they've ever been common here, which is kind of odd.
      Nowadays we have the modern coated pans of course and recently
      stainless steel has become popular, but carbon steel is unheard of.

      When I saw the movie Julie and Julia last year my old dream of an
      omelette pan awoke and since then I've been obsessed with being able
      to do this. :-D
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvfUKwBrg

      To summarize, I take it that in U.K. black iron and mild steel are
      the same thing, at least in the case of the pans I've looked at.
      Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll make you all omelettes once I've
      got it. Everyone good with shrimp and cheese? Axel, you bring the
      bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
        loro wrote:
        > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

        Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
        some beer too.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
          Axel wrote:
          >loro wrote:
          > > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)
          >
          >Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
          >some beer too.

          Well, as long as you don't bare with me! Could be dangerous around
          hot pans, that. :-D

          Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

          Lotta.
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
            loro wrote:
            > Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

            Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
            very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
            university.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
              Axel wrote:
              >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
              >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
              >university.

              What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
              speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
              sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.

              Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
              (Both intentional!)
              Lotta
            • Larry Hamilton
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                > Axel wrote:
                > >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                > >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                > >university.
                >
                > What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
                > speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
                > sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.
                >
                > Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
                > (Both intentional!)
                > Lotta

                Looks like your smell checker is broken. :-)

                Axel & Lotta - If I did not know you were not native English speakers, your
                fine use of English would have me fooled.

                I know a lot of Americans whose only language is English, and they don't use
                it very well. The written word seems to be the most difficult of all.

                I once saw a sign at a gas station that said. "Checks will not be excepted".
                I pointed out to the clerk that their sign meant that they take checks. She
                looked at me like I was an idiot. Some people might pronounce them the same,
                but "accepted" is the word they were after.

                I try not to overdo things like that, but a sign at a business like that
                invites comment.

                This whole iron/steel thing is interesting. The different colloquialisms
                between each English speaking country are interesting, and often
                frustrating. The company I work for is based in Canada, and I have to make
                sure I pay attention when I try to communicate with someone at corporate. I
                say holiday and mean a date on the calendar like Memorial Day or Christmas.
                They say holiday and mean vacation. I once wrote to the human resources
                department for clarification about which day the office would be closed for
                a holiday when it fell on the weekend, and they thought I was talking about
                my vacation. I am not sure how they thought that based on the context. I
                even referenced the policy manual.

                ~ Larry

              • Al
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                  Interesting! I learned of carbon steel or milled steel cookware (I can
                  now add it to my list of types of cookware that I know to exist).

                  And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL (BTW I've
                  tutored both ESL'rs as well as non ESL'rs in English reading and writing
                  at the local junior college here in Sacramento, California U.S.A.)

                  http://ouichefcook.com/?p=4534
                  ---

                  http://www.circulon.com/cs/Satellite/mArticle/1162475169828/circulon/1163100357621/Page/MaterialName/Carbon%2520Steel/en_US/FullPage.htm

                  <quote>Carbon steel is often referred to as cold rolled steel or milled
                  steel.</quote>

                  two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                  of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                  So, it appears that "carbon steel cookware" is equivalent to "milled
                  steel cookware"

                  Also appears the carbon steel cookware develops a patina (cast iron
                  cookware does that too).

                  The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                  characteristics of these two different cookwares.

                  http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                    Al wrote:
                    >And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL

                    Thank you both. You are nice.

                    >two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                    >of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                    Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                    changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                    Here they use mild.
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                    As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                    spell your omelette.
                    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel

                    >The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                    >characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                    >
                    >http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808

                    I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                    I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                    very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                    Lotta
                  • bruce.somers@web.de
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                      It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what "ESLers" is intended to mean.

                      Bruce

                    • Margaret Penfold
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                        ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread
                        On 30/01/2011 20:56, bruce.somers@... wrote:

                        > It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us
                        > what "ESLers" is intended to mean.
                        >
                        > Bruce

                      • Al
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                          loro wrote:
                          > Al wrote:
                          >
                          > <snip>
                          >
                          >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                          >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                          >>

                          > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                          > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                          Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                          My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                          which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                          type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                          to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                          steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                          high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

                          Here is a definition for milled

                          4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                          manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                          by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                          sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                          [1913 Webster]
                          > Here they use mild.
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                          > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                          > spell your omelette.
                          > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                          > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                          >

                          >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                          >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                          >>
                          >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                          >>

                          > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                          > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                          > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                          Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                          thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                          So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                          gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                          this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                          steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                          --
                          Alan.

                        • edward
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                            http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html
                            The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                              http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQrQQwAA&fp=d9008d84f286047