Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
      Dave wrote:
      > you would a light weight pan so you can flip omelette

      Alright, if that's the case then I do accept that mild steel may be
      preferable to higher quality. Tossing food into the air is an
      Anglo-saxon custom unheard of to us stolid and slow-moving Germans.

      Axel
    • Al
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
        loro wrote:
        > At 00:42 2011-01-30, hsavage wrote:
        >
        >> 'Are black iron and mild steel the same thing'
        >>
        >> This may be the case but I suspect 'black iron' may be referring to
        >> 'cast iron'.
        >>
        >> Used many years in the past and you can still buy cooking hardware
        >> made of cast iron. After much use and curing with the fats and oils
        >>
        > >from what's been cooked they usually turn deep black color.
        >
        >> It is not the same as mild steel!
        >>

        > Nuh. Cast iron we have and I have a lot of it. I'll show you what I mean.
        > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OSFIXU/>

        It says black iron. But that pic looks like a stainless steel pan, not
        cast iron.

        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cast-Iron-Skillet-11-5-Diam/dp/B001VGYSIC/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1296366434&sr=1-6

        That's a pic of cast iron. It gets darker in color with use. Thus (I
        think) the term black iron. These are *heavy* in weight pounds, ounces,
        etc.

        Cast iron (when new or unseasoned) has a grainy appearance. It is
        porous or at least somewhat so.

        <quote>*Remember* *- Every time you cook in your cast iron frying pan,
        you are actually seasoning it again by filling in the microscopic pores
        and valleys that are part of the cast iron surface. The more you cook,
        the smoother the surface becomes!</quote>

        above quote is from the bottom of the next web page

        http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

        Next is what makes cast iron black rather than silver color.

        http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mats05/mats05044.htm

        A different material/metal, stainless steel. but I've not heard of a
        pan referenced as mild steel (until your mention of it).

        Perhaps this is a terminology thing from different countries (as you
        referenced American versus other countries terminology).

        --
        Alan.

        *

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
          Axel Berger wrote:
          >Dave wrote:
          > > you would a light weight pan so you can flip omelette
          >
          >Alright, if that's the case then I do accept that mild steel may be
          >preferable to higher quality. Tossing food into the air is an
          >Anglo-saxon custom unheard of to us stolid and slow-moving Germans.

          Exactly. I should have been more clear. I know what cast iron is and
          that's the only material I use for frying pans - so far. And yes, we
          do produce cast iron pans and pots here. Good ones too. I have some
          lovely ones after my grandmother, probably from the beginning of the
          last century. The only advantage of my new ones is that they have an
          isolated handle. Hope you like your Swedish pan fw. What is it?
          Skeppshult? Ronneby?

          But I've always wanted an omelette pan made of what I call carbon
          steel as I've seen used abroad. That's what I can't find in Sweden. I
          don't think they've ever been common here, which is kind of odd.
          Nowadays we have the modern coated pans of course and recently
          stainless steel has become popular, but carbon steel is unheard of.

          When I saw the movie Julie and Julia last year my old dream of an
          omelette pan awoke and since then I've been obsessed with being able
          to do this. :-D
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvfUKwBrg

          To summarize, I take it that in U.K. black iron and mild steel are
          the same thing, at least in the case of the pans I've looked at.
          Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll make you all omelettes once I've
          got it. Everyone good with shrimp and cheese? Axel, you bring the
          bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
            loro wrote:
            > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

            Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
            some beer too.

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
              Axel wrote:
              >loro wrote:
              > > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)
              >
              >Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
              >some beer too.

              Well, as long as you don't bare with me! Could be dangerous around
              hot pans, that. :-D

              Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

              Lotta.
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                loro wrote:
                > Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

                Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                university.

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                  Axel wrote:
                  >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                  >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                  >university.

                  What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
                  speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
                  sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.

                  Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
                  (Both intentional!)
                  Lotta
                • Larry Hamilton
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                    On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                    > Axel wrote:
                    > >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                    > >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                    > >university.
                    >
                    > What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
                    > speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
                    > sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.
                    >
                    > Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
                    > (Both intentional!)
                    > Lotta

                    Looks like your smell checker is broken. :-)

                    Axel & Lotta - If I did not know you were not native English speakers, your
                    fine use of English would have me fooled.

                    I know a lot of Americans whose only language is English, and they don't use
                    it very well. The written word seems to be the most difficult of all.

                    I once saw a sign at a gas station that said. "Checks will not be excepted".
                    I pointed out to the clerk that their sign meant that they take checks. She
                    looked at me like I was an idiot. Some people might pronounce them the same,
                    but "accepted" is the word they were after.

                    I try not to overdo things like that, but a sign at a business like that
                    invites comment.

                    This whole iron/steel thing is interesting. The different colloquialisms
                    between each English speaking country are interesting, and often
                    frustrating. The company I work for is based in Canada, and I have to make
                    sure I pay attention when I try to communicate with someone at corporate. I
                    say holiday and mean a date on the calendar like Memorial Day or Christmas.
                    They say holiday and mean vacation. I once wrote to the human resources
                    department for clarification about which day the office would be closed for
                    a holiday when it fell on the weekend, and they thought I was talking about
                    my vacation. I am not sure how they thought that based on the context. I
                    even referenced the policy manual.

                    ~ Larry

                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                      Interesting! I learned of carbon steel or milled steel cookware (I can
                      now add it to my list of types of cookware that I know to exist).

                      And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL (BTW I've
                      tutored both ESL'rs as well as non ESL'rs in English reading and writing
                      at the local junior college here in Sacramento, California U.S.A.)

                      http://ouichefcook.com/?p=4534
                      ---

                      http://www.circulon.com/cs/Satellite/mArticle/1162475169828/circulon/1163100357621/Page/MaterialName/Carbon%2520Steel/en_US/FullPage.htm

                      <quote>Carbon steel is often referred to as cold rolled steel or milled
                      steel.</quote>

                      two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                      of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                      So, it appears that "carbon steel cookware" is equivalent to "milled
                      steel cookware"

                      Also appears the carbon steel cookware develops a patina (cast iron
                      cookware does that too).

                      The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                      characteristics of these two different cookwares.

                      http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                        Al wrote:
                        >And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL

                        Thank you both. You are nice.

                        >two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                        >of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                        Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                        changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                        Here they use mild.
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                        As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                        spell your omelette.
                        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                        http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel

                        >The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                        >characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                        >
                        >http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808

                        I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                        I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                        very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                        Lotta
                      • bruce.somers@web.de
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                          It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what "ESLers" is intended to mean.

                          Bruce

                        • Margaret Penfold
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                            ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread
                            On 30/01/2011 20:56, bruce.somers@... wrote:

                            > It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us
                            > what "ESLers" is intended to mean.
                            >
                            > Bruce

                          • Al
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                              loro wrote:
                              > Al wrote:
                              >
                              > <snip>
                              >
                              >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                              >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                              >>

                              > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                              > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                              Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                              My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                              which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                              type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                              to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                              steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                              high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

                              Here is a definition for milled

                              4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                              manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                              by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                              sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                              [1913 Webster]
                              > Here they use mild.
                              > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                              > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                              > spell your omelette.
                              > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                              > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                              >

                              >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                              >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                              >>
                              >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                              >>

                              > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                              > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                              > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                              Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                              thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                              So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                              gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                              this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                              steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                              --
                              Alan.

                            • edward
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html
                                The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                  http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQrQQwAA&fp=d9008d84f286047