Re: [NTO] Kitchen English - or metallurgy

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
      At 00:42 2011-01-30, hsavage wrote:
      >'Are black iron and mild steel the same thing'
      >
      >This may be the case but I suspect 'black iron' may be referring to
      >'cast iron'.
      >
      >Used many years in the past and you can still buy cooking hardware
      >made of cast iron. After much use and curing with the fats and oils
      >from what's been cooked they usually turn deep black color.
      >
      >It is not the same as mild steel!

      Nuh. Cast iron we have and I have a lot of it. I'll show you what I mean.
      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OSFIXU/>

      I can't buy form there though. Amazon marketplace doesn't ship
      kitchen stuff outside U.K. :-(
      I could buy from amazon.com where they are sold by amazon itself, but
      the U.S. pans are more expensive (but may be better) and more
      importantly, they aren't that nicely rounded between the bottom and
      the side. And I risk custom fees. At amazon.com they have the
      courtesy to call it carbon steel and that I understand. ;-)

      So, I google trying to find a British supplier that ships abroad and
      doesn't charge an arm and a leg for it. I find pans looking very
      similar if not identical to the one in the amazon picture. At some
      places they say it's black iron and at some they call it mild steel.

      Lotta
    • fw7oaks
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
        --- On Sun, 1/30/11, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

        > Are black iron and mild steel the same thing, some
        > kind of carbon steel? The pans sure look identical in the pictures.

        Basically yes, what's different will be black *cast* iron, which might be what you want and you should be able to buy in Sweden (That's where mine came from).

        HTH

        fw
      • Al
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
          loro wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm trying to buy a classic old-fashioned omelette pan from Britain.
          > Would you believe it's impossible to get one of those in Sweden?
          > Anyhow, I have a problem with the materials. I'm not familiar with
          > the English terms. Are black iron and mild steel the same thing, some
          > kind of carbon steel? The pans sure look identical in the pictures.
          >
          > TIA
          > Lotta
          Types of cookware that I know of:

          1. cast iron (has a grainy appearance)

          note: whereas steel (not cookware) such as angle iron, flatbar, square
          or box tube, channel iron -- these have significantly smoother
          appearance (not the grainy appear).

          AFAIK, cast iron is cast iron. Period. End of story. It is cast,
          using I think, a mold. The other non cookware mentioned steel is made
          by a different process, not cast. I'm unaware if qualities of cast iron
          can vary or not; I'd guess not much, if at all, due the process
          involved in making cast iron. But I could be wrong. The thickness of a
          pot would matter though.

          To use the not cast for cookware I think wouldn't work because it would
          warp and twist out of shape due the heats involved in cooking (not to
          mention rust problem).

          2. aluminum

          3. earthen (like some inserts for some crock pots)

          4. stainless steel

          5. glass / ceramic

          http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1272&bih=829&q=black+iron&btnG=Google+Search#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=cookware+black+iron&cp=9&pf=p&sclient=psy&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&biw=1272&bih=803&aq=0v&aqi=&aql=&oq=cookware+black+iron&pbx=1&fp=d9008d84f286047

          next, two ehow that appear to interchangeably "black iron" for "cast iron"

          http://www.ehow.com/how_7372831_cure-black-iron-pots.html

          http://www.ehow.com/how_6404103_season-black-iron-pot.html

          --
          Alan.
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
            loro wrote:
            > Are black iron and mild steel the same thing, some
            > kind of carbon steel?

            I'd say yes. I too am not familiar with the English terms here, I did my
            matarials science in German, but from what I could find, black iron
            ought to be another term for wrought iron, which should be much more
            corrosion resistant than cheap mild steel.
            Alas, since the advent of blast furnaces you'll only find true wrought
            iron in archaeological digs. The terms are not logical for historical
            reasons. Before furnaces reached the melting temperature, their raw
            product from ore was nearly pure iron with slag inclusions to be
            hammered out and you had to do a lot of heating in the coal fire to get
            some carbon in.
            Nowadays "iron" refers to the eutectic (lowest melting point) liquid raw
            product from the furnace, an alloy of more than three percent carbon in
            iron, from which cast iron products used to be made. Brittle, not very
            strong, but rust resistant and good wear characteristics.
            From that you make steel by expelling the carbon. Mild steel is lowest
            in carbon. Easy to work, can't be hardened and rusts most easily.
            (Nearly) pure iron would nowadays be called mild steel too.
            Good pots and pans tend to be made of highly alloyed rust resistant
            steel, typically with a copper bottom soldered on outside (which will
            fall of, if you forget the empty pot on the fire). The ones in your link
            are cheap and lightweight, but I can see no disadvantage in using better
            quality from Sweden.

            Axel
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
              Hi
              If your going to use it for omelettes then you would a light weight pan so
              you can flip omelette put in contents of choice fold over half, cast iron
              are usually heavy weight ,I can see little women both hands and ??
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
                Dave wrote:
                > you would a light weight pan so you can flip omelette

                Alright, if that's the case then I do accept that mild steel may be
                preferable to higher quality. Tossing food into the air is an
                Anglo-saxon custom unheard of to us stolid and slow-moving Germans.

                Axel
              • Al
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
                  loro wrote:
                  > At 00:42 2011-01-30, hsavage wrote:
                  >
                  >> 'Are black iron and mild steel the same thing'
                  >>
                  >> This may be the case but I suspect 'black iron' may be referring to
                  >> 'cast iron'.
                  >>
                  >> Used many years in the past and you can still buy cooking hardware
                  >> made of cast iron. After much use and curing with the fats and oils
                  >>
                  > >from what's been cooked they usually turn deep black color.
                  >
                  >> It is not the same as mild steel!
                  >>

                  > Nuh. Cast iron we have and I have a lot of it. I'll show you what I mean.
                  > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OSFIXU/>

                  It says black iron. But that pic looks like a stainless steel pan, not
                  cast iron.

                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cast-Iron-Skillet-11-5-Diam/dp/B001VGYSIC/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1296366434&sr=1-6

                  That's a pic of cast iron. It gets darker in color with use. Thus (I
                  think) the term black iron. These are *heavy* in weight pounds, ounces,
                  etc.

                  Cast iron (when new or unseasoned) has a grainy appearance. It is
                  porous or at least somewhat so.

                  <quote>*Remember* *- Every time you cook in your cast iron frying pan,
                  you are actually seasoning it again by filling in the microscopic pores
                  and valleys that are part of the cast iron surface. The more you cook,
                  the smoother the surface becomes!</quote>

                  above quote is from the bottom of the next web page

                  http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

                  Next is what makes cast iron black rather than silver color.

                  http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mats05/mats05044.htm

                  A different material/metal, stainless steel. but I've not heard of a
                  pan referenced as mild steel (until your mention of it).

                  Perhaps this is a terminology thing from different countries (as you
                  referenced American versus other countries terminology).

                  --
                  Alan.

                  *

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                    Axel Berger wrote:
                    >Dave wrote:
                    > > you would a light weight pan so you can flip omelette
                    >
                    >Alright, if that's the case then I do accept that mild steel may be
                    >preferable to higher quality. Tossing food into the air is an
                    >Anglo-saxon custom unheard of to us stolid and slow-moving Germans.

                    Exactly. I should have been more clear. I know what cast iron is and
                    that's the only material I use for frying pans - so far. And yes, we
                    do produce cast iron pans and pots here. Good ones too. I have some
                    lovely ones after my grandmother, probably from the beginning of the
                    last century. The only advantage of my new ones is that they have an
                    isolated handle. Hope you like your Swedish pan fw. What is it?
                    Skeppshult? Ronneby?

                    But I've always wanted an omelette pan made of what I call carbon
                    steel as I've seen used abroad. That's what I can't find in Sweden. I
                    don't think they've ever been common here, which is kind of odd.
                    Nowadays we have the modern coated pans of course and recently
                    stainless steel has become popular, but carbon steel is unheard of.

                    When I saw the movie Julie and Julia last year my old dream of an
                    omelette pan awoke and since then I've been obsessed with being able
                    to do this. :-D
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvfUKwBrg

                    To summarize, I take it that in U.K. black iron and mild steel are
                    the same thing, at least in the case of the pans I've looked at.
                    Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll make you all omelettes once I've
                    got it. Everyone good with shrimp and cheese? Axel, you bring the
                    bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                      loro wrote:
                      > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

                      Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
                      some beer too.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                        Axel wrote:
                        >loro wrote:
                        > > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)
                        >
                        >Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
                        >some beer too.

                        Well, as long as you don't bare with me! Could be dangerous around
                        hot pans, that. :-D

                        Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

                        Lotta.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                          loro wrote:
                          > Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

                          Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                          very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                          university.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                            Axel wrote:
                            >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                            >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                            >university.

                            What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
                            speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
                            sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.

                            Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
                            (Both intentional!)
                            Lotta
                          • Larry Hamilton
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                              On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                              > Axel wrote:
                              > >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                              > >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                              > >university.
                              >
                              > What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
                              > speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
                              > sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.
                              >
                              > Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
                              > (Both intentional!)
                              > Lotta

                              Looks like your smell checker is broken. :-)

                              Axel & Lotta - If I did not know you were not native English speakers, your
                              fine use of English would have me fooled.

                              I know a lot of Americans whose only language is English, and they don't use
                              it very well. The written word seems to be the most difficult of all.

                              I once saw a sign at a gas station that said. "Checks will not be excepted".
                              I pointed out to the clerk that their sign meant that they take checks. She
                              looked at me like I was an idiot. Some people might pronounce them the same,
                              but "accepted" is the word they were after.

                              I try not to overdo things like that, but a sign at a business like that
                              invites comment.

                              This whole iron/steel thing is interesting. The different colloquialisms
                              between each English speaking country are interesting, and often
                              frustrating. The company I work for is based in Canada, and I have to make
                              sure I pay attention when I try to communicate with someone at corporate. I
                              say holiday and mean a date on the calendar like Memorial Day or Christmas.
                              They say holiday and mean vacation. I once wrote to the human resources
                              department for clarification about which day the office would be closed for
                              a holiday when it fell on the weekend, and they thought I was talking about
                              my vacation. I am not sure how they thought that based on the context. I
                              even referenced the policy manual.

                              ~ Larry

                            • Al
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                Interesting! I learned of carbon steel or milled steel cookware (I can
                                now add it to my list of types of cookware that I know to exist).

                                And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL (BTW I've
                                tutored both ESL'rs as well as non ESL'rs in English reading and writing
                                at the local junior college here in Sacramento, California U.S.A.)

                                http://ouichefcook.com/?p=4534
                                ---

                                http://www.circulon.com/cs/Satellite/mArticle/1162475169828/circulon/1163100357621/Page/MaterialName/Carbon%2520Steel/en_US/FullPage.htm

                                <quote>Carbon steel is often referred to as cold rolled steel or milled
                                steel.</quote>

                                two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                                of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                                So, it appears that "carbon steel cookware" is equivalent to "milled
                                steel cookware"

                                Also appears the carbon steel cookware develops a patina (cast iron
                                cookware does that too).

                                The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                                characteristics of these two different cookwares.

                                http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                  Al wrote:
                                  >And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL

                                  Thank you both. You are nice.

                                  >two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                                  >of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                                  Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                                  changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                                  Here they use mild.
                                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                                  As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                                  spell your omelette.
                                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                                  http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel

                                  >The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                                  >characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                                  >
                                  >http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808

                                  I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                                  I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                                  very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                                  Lotta
                                • bruce.somers@web.de
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                    It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what "ESLers" is intended to mean.

                                    Bruce

                                  • Margaret Penfold
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                      ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread
                                      On 30/01/2011 20:56, bruce.somers@... wrote:

                                      > It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us
                                      > what "ESLers" is intended to mean.
                                      >
                                      > Bruce

                                    • Al
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                        loro wrote:
                                        > Al wrote:
                                        >
                                        > <snip>
                                        >
                                        >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                                        >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                                        >>

                                        > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                                        > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                                        Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                                        My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                                        which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                                        type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                                        to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                                        steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                                        high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

                                        Here is a definition for milled

                                        4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                                        manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                                        by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                                        sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                                        [1913 Webster]
                                        > Here they use mild.
                                        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                                        > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                                        > spell your omelette.
                                        > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                                        > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                                        >

                                        >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                                        >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                                        >>
                                        >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                                        >>

                                        > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                                        > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                                        > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                                        Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                                        thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                                        So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                                        gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                                        this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                                        steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                                        --
                                        Alan.

                                      • edward
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                          http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html
                                          The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                            http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQrQQwAA&fp=d9008d84f286047