Kitchen English - or metallurgy

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
      Hi,

      I'm trying to buy a classic old-fashioned omelette pan from Britain.
      Would you believe it's impossible to get one of those in Sweden?
      Anyhow, I have a problem with the materials. I'm not familiar with
      the English terms. Are black iron and mild steel the same thing, some
      kind of carbon steel? The pans sure look identical in the pictures.

      TIA
      Lotta
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
        loro wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm trying to buy a classic old-fashioned omelette pan from Britain.
        > Would you believe it's impossible to get one of those in Sweden?
        > Anyhow, I have a problem with the materials. I'm not familiar with
        > the English terms. Are black iron and mild steel the same thing, some
        > kind of carbon steel? The pans sure look identical in the pictures.
        >
        > TIA
        > Lotta

        Lotta,

        'Are black iron and mild steel the same thing'

        This may be the case but I suspect 'black iron' may be referring to
        'cast iron'.

        Used many years in the past and you can still buy cooking hardware
        made of cast iron. After much use and curing with the fats and oils
        from what's been cooked they usually turn deep black color.

        It is not the same as mild steel!

        ºvº SL_day#_29 - created 2011.01.29 ~ 17.35.51

        And your crybaby whiny-assed opinion would be...?

        € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
          At 00:42 2011-01-30, hsavage wrote:
          >'Are black iron and mild steel the same thing'
          >
          >This may be the case but I suspect 'black iron' may be referring to
          >'cast iron'.
          >
          >Used many years in the past and you can still buy cooking hardware
          >made of cast iron. After much use and curing with the fats and oils
          >from what's been cooked they usually turn deep black color.
          >
          >It is not the same as mild steel!

          Nuh. Cast iron we have and I have a lot of it. I'll show you what I mean.
          <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OSFIXU/>

          I can't buy form there though. Amazon marketplace doesn't ship
          kitchen stuff outside U.K. :-(
          I could buy from amazon.com where they are sold by amazon itself, but
          the U.S. pans are more expensive (but may be better) and more
          importantly, they aren't that nicely rounded between the bottom and
          the side. And I risk custom fees. At amazon.com they have the
          courtesy to call it carbon steel and that I understand. ;-)

          So, I google trying to find a British supplier that ships abroad and
          doesn't charge an arm and a leg for it. I find pans looking very
          similar if not identical to the one in the amazon picture. At some
          places they say it's black iron and at some they call it mild steel.

          Lotta
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
            --- On Sun, 1/30/11, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

            > Are black iron and mild steel the same thing, some
            > kind of carbon steel? The pans sure look identical in the pictures.

            Basically yes, what's different will be black *cast* iron, which might be what you want and you should be able to buy in Sweden (That's where mine came from).

            HTH

            fw
          • Al
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
              loro wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I'm trying to buy a classic old-fashioned omelette pan from Britain.
              > Would you believe it's impossible to get one of those in Sweden?
              > Anyhow, I have a problem with the materials. I'm not familiar with
              > the English terms. Are black iron and mild steel the same thing, some
              > kind of carbon steel? The pans sure look identical in the pictures.
              >
              > TIA
              > Lotta
              Types of cookware that I know of:

              1. cast iron (has a grainy appearance)

              note: whereas steel (not cookware) such as angle iron, flatbar, square
              or box tube, channel iron -- these have significantly smoother
              appearance (not the grainy appear).

              AFAIK, cast iron is cast iron. Period. End of story. It is cast,
              using I think, a mold. The other non cookware mentioned steel is made
              by a different process, not cast. I'm unaware if qualities of cast iron
              can vary or not; I'd guess not much, if at all, due the process
              involved in making cast iron. But I could be wrong. The thickness of a
              pot would matter though.

              To use the not cast for cookware I think wouldn't work because it would
              warp and twist out of shape due the heats involved in cooking (not to
              mention rust problem).

              2. aluminum

              3. earthen (like some inserts for some crock pots)

              4. stainless steel

              5. glass / ceramic

              http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1272&bih=829&q=black+iron&btnG=Google+Search#hl=en&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=cookware+black+iron&cp=9&pf=p&sclient=psy&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&biw=1272&bih=803&aq=0v&aqi=&aql=&oq=cookware+black+iron&pbx=1&fp=d9008d84f286047

              next, two ehow that appear to interchangeably "black iron" for "cast iron"

              http://www.ehow.com/how_7372831_cure-black-iron-pots.html

              http://www.ehow.com/how_6404103_season-black-iron-pot.html

              --
              Alan.
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
                loro wrote:
                > Are black iron and mild steel the same thing, some
                > kind of carbon steel?

                I'd say yes. I too am not familiar with the English terms here, I did my
                matarials science in German, but from what I could find, black iron
                ought to be another term for wrought iron, which should be much more
                corrosion resistant than cheap mild steel.
                Alas, since the advent of blast furnaces you'll only find true wrought
                iron in archaeological digs. The terms are not logical for historical
                reasons. Before furnaces reached the melting temperature, their raw
                product from ore was nearly pure iron with slag inclusions to be
                hammered out and you had to do a lot of heating in the coal fire to get
                some carbon in.
                Nowadays "iron" refers to the eutectic (lowest melting point) liquid raw
                product from the furnace, an alloy of more than three percent carbon in
                iron, from which cast iron products used to be made. Brittle, not very
                strong, but rust resistant and good wear characteristics.
                From that you make steel by expelling the carbon. Mild steel is lowest
                in carbon. Easy to work, can't be hardened and rusts most easily.
                (Nearly) pure iron would nowadays be called mild steel too.
                Good pots and pans tend to be made of highly alloyed rust resistant
                steel, typically with a copper bottom soldered on outside (which will
                fall of, if you forget the empty pot on the fire). The ones in your link
                are cheap and lightweight, but I can see no disadvantage in using better
                quality from Sweden.

                Axel
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
                  Hi
                  If your going to use it for omelettes then you would a light weight pan so
                  you can flip omelette put in contents of choice fold over half, cast iron
                  are usually heavy weight ,I can see little women both hands and ??
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
                    Dave wrote:
                    > you would a light weight pan so you can flip omelette

                    Alright, if that's the case then I do accept that mild steel may be
                    preferable to higher quality. Tossing food into the air is an
                    Anglo-saxon custom unheard of to us stolid and slow-moving Germans.

                    Axel
                  • Al
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 29, 2011
                      loro wrote:
                      > At 00:42 2011-01-30, hsavage wrote:
                      >
                      >> 'Are black iron and mild steel the same thing'
                      >>
                      >> This may be the case but I suspect 'black iron' may be referring to
                      >> 'cast iron'.
                      >>
                      >> Used many years in the past and you can still buy cooking hardware
                      >> made of cast iron. After much use and curing with the fats and oils
                      >>
                      > >from what's been cooked they usually turn deep black color.
                      >
                      >> It is not the same as mild steel!
                      >>

                      > Nuh. Cast iron we have and I have a lot of it. I'll show you what I mean.
                      > <http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002OSFIXU/>

                      It says black iron. But that pic looks like a stainless steel pan, not
                      cast iron.

                      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cast-Iron-Skillet-11-5-Diam/dp/B001VGYSIC/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1296366434&sr=1-6

                      That's a pic of cast iron. It gets darker in color with use. Thus (I
                      think) the term black iron. These are *heavy* in weight pounds, ounces,
                      etc.

                      Cast iron (when new or unseasoned) has a grainy appearance. It is
                      porous or at least somewhat so.

                      <quote>*Remember* *- Every time you cook in your cast iron frying pan,
                      you are actually seasoning it again by filling in the microscopic pores
                      and valleys that are part of the cast iron surface. The more you cook,
                      the smoother the surface becomes!</quote>

                      above quote is from the bottom of the next web page

                      http://whatscookingamerica.net/Information/CastIronPans.htm

                      Next is what makes cast iron black rather than silver color.

                      http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/mats05/mats05044.htm

                      A different material/metal, stainless steel. but I've not heard of a
                      pan referenced as mild steel (until your mention of it).

                      Perhaps this is a terminology thing from different countries (as you
                      referenced American versus other countries terminology).

                      --
                      Alan.

                      *

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                        Axel Berger wrote:
                        >Dave wrote:
                        > > you would a light weight pan so you can flip omelette
                        >
                        >Alright, if that's the case then I do accept that mild steel may be
                        >preferable to higher quality. Tossing food into the air is an
                        >Anglo-saxon custom unheard of to us stolid and slow-moving Germans.

                        Exactly. I should have been more clear. I know what cast iron is and
                        that's the only material I use for frying pans - so far. And yes, we
                        do produce cast iron pans and pots here. Good ones too. I have some
                        lovely ones after my grandmother, probably from the beginning of the
                        last century. The only advantage of my new ones is that they have an
                        isolated handle. Hope you like your Swedish pan fw. What is it?
                        Skeppshult? Ronneby?

                        But I've always wanted an omelette pan made of what I call carbon
                        steel as I've seen used abroad. That's what I can't find in Sweden. I
                        don't think they've ever been common here, which is kind of odd.
                        Nowadays we have the modern coated pans of course and recently
                        stainless steel has become popular, but carbon steel is unheard of.

                        When I saw the movie Julie and Julia last year my old dream of an
                        omelette pan awoke and since then I've been obsessed with being able
                        to do this. :-D
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvfUKwBrg

                        To summarize, I take it that in U.K. black iron and mild steel are
                        the same thing, at least in the case of the pans I've looked at.
                        Thanks for the help, everyone. I'll make you all omelettes once I've
                        got it. Everyone good with shrimp and cheese? Axel, you bring the
                        bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                          loro wrote:
                          > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)

                          Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
                          some beer too.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                            Axel wrote:
                            >loro wrote:
                            > > Axel, you bring the bear, I hope. Yours is superior to ours. ;-)
                            >
                            >Well alright, I'll see what I can do. And for good measure I'll bring
                            >some beer too.

                            Well, as long as you don't bare with me! Could be dangerous around
                            hot pans, that. :-D

                            Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

                            Lotta.
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                              loro wrote:
                              > Darn, that's a mistake I usually don't make, believe it or not.

                              Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                              very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                              university.

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                Axel wrote:
                                >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                                >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                                >university.

                                What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
                                speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
                                sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.

                                Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
                                (Both intentional!)
                                Lotta
                              • Larry Hamilton
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                  On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

                                  > Axel wrote:
                                  > >Don't I know it. There's a "fall of" instead of "fall off" by me in this
                                  > >very thread. I've done worse in official papers handed in to the
                                  > >university.
                                  >
                                  > What's irritating with those small words, is that if native English
                                  > speakers make those mistakes it's just a typo. If we do them people
                                  > sometimes think we don't know the difference. ESLers make typos too.
                                  >
                                  > Well, of outside to chase me some polar beers now. :-)
                                  > (Both intentional!)
                                  > Lotta

                                  Looks like your smell checker is broken. :-)

                                  Axel & Lotta - If I did not know you were not native English speakers, your
                                  fine use of English would have me fooled.

                                  I know a lot of Americans whose only language is English, and they don't use
                                  it very well. The written word seems to be the most difficult of all.

                                  I once saw a sign at a gas station that said. "Checks will not be excepted".
                                  I pointed out to the clerk that their sign meant that they take checks. She
                                  looked at me like I was an idiot. Some people might pronounce them the same,
                                  but "accepted" is the word they were after.

                                  I try not to overdo things like that, but a sign at a business like that
                                  invites comment.

                                  This whole iron/steel thing is interesting. The different colloquialisms
                                  between each English speaking country are interesting, and often
                                  frustrating. The company I work for is based in Canada, and I have to make
                                  sure I pay attention when I try to communicate with someone at corporate. I
                                  say holiday and mean a date on the calendar like Memorial Day or Christmas.
                                  They say holiday and mean vacation. I once wrote to the human resources
                                  department for clarification about which day the office would be closed for
                                  a holiday when it fell on the weekend, and they thought I was talking about
                                  my vacation. I am not sure how they thought that based on the context. I
                                  even referenced the policy manual.

                                  ~ Larry

                                • Al
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                    Interesting! I learned of carbon steel or milled steel cookware (I can
                                    now add it to my list of types of cookware that I know to exist).

                                    And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL (BTW I've
                                    tutored both ESL'rs as well as non ESL'rs in English reading and writing
                                    at the local junior college here in Sacramento, California U.S.A.)

                                    http://ouichefcook.com/?p=4534
                                    ---

                                    http://www.circulon.com/cs/Satellite/mArticle/1162475169828/circulon/1163100357621/Page/MaterialName/Carbon%2520Steel/en_US/FullPage.htm

                                    <quote>Carbon steel is often referred to as cold rolled steel or milled
                                    steel.</quote>

                                    two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                                    of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                                    So, it appears that "carbon steel cookware" is equivalent to "milled
                                    steel cookware"

                                    Also appears the carbon steel cookware develops a patina (cast iron
                                    cookware does that too).

                                    The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                                    characteristics of these two different cookwares.

                                    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                      Al wrote:
                                      >And, ditto to what Larry said -- I wouldn't have known ESL

                                      Thank you both. You are nice.

                                      >two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                                      >of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.

                                      Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                                      changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                                      Here they use mild.
                                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                                      As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                                      spell your omelette.
                                      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                                      http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel

                                      >The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                                      >characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                                      >
                                      >http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808

                                      I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                                      I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                                      very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                                      Lotta
                                    • bruce.somers@web.de
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                        It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us what "ESLers" is intended to mean.

                                        Bruce

                                      • Margaret Penfold
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                          ESL=English as a second language. I enjoyed this thread
                                          On 30/01/2011 20:56, bruce.somers@... wrote:

                                          > It would be a very nice gesture if someone would tell us
                                          > what "ESLers" is intended to mean.
                                          >
                                          > Bruce

                                        • Al
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                            loro wrote:
                                            > Al wrote:
                                            >
                                            > <snip>
                                            >
                                            >> two l's, "milled" like grist mill or steel mill. I've still not heard
                                            >> of mild steel cookware, I just did a Google search on it.
                                            >>

                                            > Milled sounds like a more proper word for it. Could "milled" have
                                            > changed into "mild" with time, maybe provincially?

                                            Instead of that, I think it's the next.

                                            My guess is that "mild steel" is the raw material that gets "milled" (of
                                            which I was totally unaware that mild steel is used in any or a certain
                                            type of cookware). "mild steel" is a term that's utilized to reference
                                            to a quality of steel with a higher level of carbon than low carbon
                                            steel. "carbon steel" would include low, mild, medium, high, and ultra
                                            high carbon content steels. (as per your link)

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel

                                            Here is a definition for milled

                                            4. A common name for various machines which produce a
                                            manufactured product, or change the form of a raw material
                                            by the continuous repetition of some simple action; as, a
                                            sawmill; a stamping mill, etc.
                                            [1913 Webster]
                                            > Here they use mild.
                                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mild_steel#Mild_and_low_carbon_steel
                                            > As for the omelette pans... mostly UK and Australia, however you
                                            > spell your omelette.
                                            > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelette+pan+mild+steel
                                            > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=omelet+pan+mild+steel
                                            >

                                            >> The next is reasons why to choose carbon steel versus cast iron ie
                                            >> characteristics of these two different cookwares.
                                            >>
                                            >> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/297808
                                            >>

                                            > I don't know if they say this there, haven't read all of it yet, but
                                            > I think one argument for carbon steel is that you can get the heat up
                                            > very quickly if you need to. The sheer weight of cast iron makes it slow.

                                            Quicker to heat and quicker to cool (versus, yes, the sheer weight,
                                            thickness, etc. of cast iron).

                                            So, if I have it correct, carbon steel of the mild variety or mild steel
                                            gets milled, resulting in the end product cookware. I've observed that
                                            this type of cookware is referenced in multiple ways such as milled
                                            steel cookware, carbon steel cookware, and mild steel.

                                            --
                                            Alan.

                                          • edward
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                              http://www.buzzle.com/articles/mild-steel-properties.html
                                              The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jan 30, 2011
                                                http://www.google.com/#q=omelet+pan&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=FARGTaieDoTbgQeT7-CgAg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CFcQrQQwAA&fp=d9008d84f286047