Re: [NTO] Problems with Google maps in IE 8

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2010
      Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
      > Google Map - Route from Morgantown to points West:

      It does display in opera 9.27, though after a loading time long enough
      to allow me to draw my old age pension. Firefox 1.5.0.12 shows nothing
      but mentions non-valid code with 124 errors.

      On my eXPerimental machine Firefox 3.6.10 is reasonably fast but
      mentions 233 errors while IE 7 shows nothing. I'm not prepared to call
      google.com trusted and contrary to Firefox there is no quick and easy
      way to temporarily allow scripting.

      So my conclusion is, as long as google delivers broken junk like that
      you can't expect browsers to show more than "syntax error". Any that do
      are an undeserved bonus.

      I would recommend doing it yourself, but I don't know of any
      uncopyrighted maps yopu could use as background.

      Axel
    • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
        Thanks.
        I am still interested in feedback on IE 8.
        And, since I really can't fix any of the errors you mention below, there
        is not much I can do about them.
        -Mike

        ===========================

        --

        Morgantown WV

        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
          > there is not much I can do about them.

          Not unless you can find a source for copyright free maps you could use
          legally. Even if they only happen to be line drawings, for my two cents
          that's better thasn broken monopolist junk.

          Axel
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
            Hi
            do you have Java installed I have found that maps do not work well with Java
            installed ?
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            > I am still interested in feedback on IE 8.
            > And, since I really can't fix any of the errors you mention below, there
            > is not much I can do about them.
            > -Mike
            >
            > ===========================
            >
            > Axel Berger wrote:
            >> Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            >> > Google Map - Route from Morgantown to points West:
            >>
            >> It does display in opera 9.27, though after a loading time long enough
            >> to allow me to draw my old age pension. Firefox 1.5.0.12 shows nothing
            >> but mentions non-valid code with 124 errors.
            >>
            >> On my eXPerimental machine Firefox 3.6.10 is reasonably fast but
            >> mentions 233 errors while IE 7 shows nothing. I'm not prepared to call
            >> google.com trusted and contrary to Firefox there is no quick and easy
            >> way to temporarily allow scripting.
            >>
            >> So my conclusion is, as long as google delivers broken junk like that
            >> you can't expect browsers to show more than "syntax error". Any that do
            >> are an undeserved bonus.
            >>
            >> I would recommend doing it yourself, but I don't know of any
            >> uncopyrighted maps yopu could use as background.
            >>
            >> Axel
            >>

            > --
            >

            > Morgantown WV
            >
            > www.EpicRoadTrips.us

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
              Hi
              the map displays perfectly with days marked straight away no delay have got
              IE7 Pro with IE8 on top of it and no Java.
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                Dave wrote:
                > Hi
                > the map displays perfectly with days marked straight away no delay have got
                > IE7 Pro with IE8 on top of it and no Java.

                Dave,
                Does the route line show up?
                Are you running XP or Win 7?
                Thanks,
                -Mike

                > THANKYOU DAVE M

                Morgantown WV

                www.EpicRoadTrips.us
              • Dave
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                  Hi
                  running XP latest updates and four days show up ,it won"t let me go closer
                  to see if anything else shows up. must go bed.
                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                    Dave wrote:
                    > Hi
                    > running XP latest updates and four days show up ,it won"t let me go closer
                    > to see if anything else shows up.

                    Thanks. There are 4 days and you should be able to zoom into street level.

                    > must go bed.
                    Sleep well.
                    -mb

                    ==========
                    > THANKYOU DAVE M

                  • Gerard Huijing
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                      On 12/16/2010 1:47 PM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

                      > Dave,
                      > Does the route line show up?
                      > Are you running XP or Win 7?
                      > Thanks,
                      > -Mike

                      Your Google map loads without any problems here. I can zoom in until I
                      get an actual Streetview photo. First time I have seen Wall Street,
                      Winchester, Kentucky ever.

                      It appears all is there too in the map. The color of the route line
                      looks a bit odd between "Tue" and "Sat", but that is also the case in
                      the other browsers I have used (Opera 10.63; FF 3.6.13).

                      IE 8.0.6001.18702; WinXPPro SP3.

                      Cheers,
                      Gerard
                      --
                      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                      2312 ZD Leiden
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                        Gerard Huijing wrote:

                        > Your Google map loads without any problems here. I can zoom in until I
                        > get an actual Streetview photo. First time I have seen Wall Street,
                        > Winchester, Kentucky ever.

                        Interesting little town.

                        > It appears all is there too in the map. The color of the route line
                        > looks a bit odd between "Tue" and "Sat", but that is also the case in
                        > the other browsers I have used (Opera 10.63; FF 3.6.13).

                        I am sure the line color is because of my color choice.
                        I m not a very good decorator.

                        I am thing now this may be a local problem on my end.

                        Thanks,
                        -Mike

                        --

                        Morgantown WV

                        www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                          Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                          > I am sure the line color is because of my color choice.
                          > I m not a very good decorator.

                          If you can influence it think of us ten percent of all males, who are
                          colour deficient, and try to go for stronger contrast. Red and green and
                          purple of the same darkness are all the same, especially so for pastel
                          shades.

                          Danke
                          Axel
                        • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                            Axel Berger wrote:
                            > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                            > > I am sure the line color is because of my color choice.
                            > > I m not a very good decorator.
                            >
                            > If you can influence it think of us ten percent of all males, who are
                            > colour deficient, and try to go for stronger contrast. Red and green and
                            > purple of the same darkness are all the same, especially so for pastel
                            > shades.

                            Point taken.

                            -Mike
                          • Mick Housel
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                              Shows up just fine for me also in IE8

                              http://www.mickhousel.com/images/misc/mbgooglemap.jpg

                              Mick

                              I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the require equipment. - Me

                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                                Mick Housel wrote:
                                > Shows up just fine for me also in IE8
                                > http://www.mickhousel.com/images/misc/mbgooglemap.jpg