Problems with Google maps in IE 8

  • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 15, 2010
      Greetings,
      I cannot get a public Google map I created to display in IE 8.
      It does display in IE 7.
      There is a lot of web chatter about various problems with IE 8 and
      Google maps, but I can find nothing specifically related to a solution.

      If any of you have IE7/8 and could take a look at this I would
      appreciate it.
      Thanks,
      -Mike

      Google Map - Route from Morgantown to points West:
      http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=211151916971589136864.0004970e5ea7122aaf454&z=5

      --

      Morgantown WV

      www.EpicRoadTrips.us
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 15, 2010
        Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
        > Google Map - Route from Morgantown to points West:

        It does display in opera 9.27, though after a loading time long enough
        to allow me to draw my old age pension. Firefox 1.5.0.12 shows nothing
        but mentions non-valid code with 124 errors.

        On my eXPerimental machine Firefox 3.6.10 is reasonably fast but
        mentions 233 errors while IE 7 shows nothing. I'm not prepared to call
        google.com trusted and contrary to Firefox there is no quick and easy
        way to temporarily allow scripting.

        So my conclusion is, as long as google delivers broken junk like that
        you can't expect browsers to show more than "syntax error". Any that do
        are an undeserved bonus.

        I would recommend doing it yourself, but I don't know of any
        uncopyrighted maps yopu could use as background.

        Axel
      • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
          Thanks.
          I am still interested in feedback on IE 8.
          And, since I really can't fix any of the errors you mention below, there
          is not much I can do about them.
          -Mike

          ===========================

          --

          Morgantown WV

          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
            > there is not much I can do about them.

            Not unless you can find a source for copyright free maps you could use
            legally. Even if they only happen to be line drawings, for my two cents
            that's better thasn broken monopolist junk.

            Axel
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
              Hi
              do you have Java installed I have found that maps do not work well with Java
              installed ?
              THANKYOU DAVE M

              > I am still interested in feedback on IE 8.
              > And, since I really can't fix any of the errors you mention below, there
              > is not much I can do about them.
              > -Mike
              >
              > ===========================
              >
              > Axel Berger wrote:
              >> Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
              >> > Google Map - Route from Morgantown to points West:
              >>
              >> It does display in opera 9.27, though after a loading time long enough
              >> to allow me to draw my old age pension. Firefox 1.5.0.12 shows nothing
              >> but mentions non-valid code with 124 errors.
              >>
              >> On my eXPerimental machine Firefox 3.6.10 is reasonably fast but
              >> mentions 233 errors while IE 7 shows nothing. I'm not prepared to call
              >> google.com trusted and contrary to Firefox there is no quick and easy
              >> way to temporarily allow scripting.
              >>
              >> So my conclusion is, as long as google delivers broken junk like that
              >> you can't expect browsers to show more than "syntax error". Any that do
              >> are an undeserved bonus.
              >>
              >> I would recommend doing it yourself, but I don't know of any
              >> uncopyrighted maps yopu could use as background.
              >>
              >> Axel
              >>

              > --
              >

              > Morgantown WV
              >
              > www.EpicRoadTrips.us

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                Hi
                the map displays perfectly with days marked straight away no delay have got
                IE7 Pro with IE8 on top of it and no Java.
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                  Dave wrote:
                  > Hi
                  > the map displays perfectly with days marked straight away no delay have got
                  > IE7 Pro with IE8 on top of it and no Java.

                  Dave,
                  Does the route line show up?
                  Are you running XP or Win 7?
                  Thanks,
                  -Mike

                  > THANKYOU DAVE M

                  Morgantown WV

                  www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                    Hi
                    running XP latest updates and four days show up ,it won"t let me go closer
                    to see if anything else shows up. must go bed.
                    THANKYOU DAVE M

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                      Dave wrote:
                      > Hi
                      > running XP latest updates and four days show up ,it won"t let me go closer
                      > to see if anything else shows up.

                      Thanks. There are 4 days and you should be able to zoom into street level.

                      > must go bed.
                      Sleep well.
                      -mb

                      ==========
                      > THANKYOU DAVE M

                    • Gerard Huijing
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                        On 12/16/2010 1:47 PM, Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:

                        > Dave,
                        > Does the route line show up?
                        > Are you running XP or Win 7?
                        > Thanks,
                        > -Mike

                        Your Google map loads without any problems here. I can zoom in until I
                        get an actual Streetview photo. First time I have seen Wall Street,
                        Winchester, Kentucky ever.

                        It appears all is there too in the map. The color of the route line
                        looks a bit odd between "Tue" and "Sat", but that is also the case in
                        the other browsers I have used (Opera 10.63; FF 3.6.13).

                        IE 8.0.6001.18702; WinXPPro SP3.

                        Cheers,
                        Gerard
                        --
                        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                        2312 ZD Leiden
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                          Gerard Huijing wrote:

                          > Your Google map loads without any problems here. I can zoom in until I
                          > get an actual Streetview photo. First time I have seen Wall Street,
                          > Winchester, Kentucky ever.

                          Interesting little town.

                          > It appears all is there too in the map. The color of the route line
                          > looks a bit odd between "Tue" and "Sat", but that is also the case in
                          > the other browsers I have used (Opera 10.63; FF 3.6.13).

                          I am sure the line color is because of my color choice.
                          I m not a very good decorator.

                          I am thing now this may be a local problem on my end.

                          Thanks,
                          -Mike

                          --

                          Morgantown WV

                          www.EpicRoadTrips.us
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                            Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                            > I am sure the line color is because of my color choice.
                            > I m not a very good decorator.

                            If you can influence it think of us ten percent of all males, who are
                            colour deficient, and try to go for stronger contrast. Red and green and
                            purple of the same darkness are all the same, especially so for pastel
                            shades.

                            Danke
                            Axel
                          • Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                              Axel Berger wrote:
                              > Mike Breiding - Morgantown WV wrote:
                              > > I am sure the line color is because of my color choice.
                              > > I m not a very good decorator.
                              >
                              > If you can influence it think of us ten percent of all males, who are
                              > colour deficient, and try to go for stronger contrast. Red and green and
                              > purple of the same darkness are all the same, especially so for pastel
                              > shades.

                              Point taken.

                              -Mike
                            • Mick Housel
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                                Shows up just fine for me also in IE8

                                http://www.mickhousel.com/images/misc/mbgooglemap.jpg

                                Mick

                                I gave up mind reading, I found I didn't have the require equipment. - Me

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 16, 2010
                                  Mick Housel wrote:
                                  > Shows up just fine for me also in IE8
                                  > http://www.mickhousel.com/images/misc/mbgooglemap.jpg