Re: [NTO] Paul McFedries

  • jeff
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
      Facebook, Twitter and many other 'social' sites are simply ways to
      program the masses, and to make money off ads.

      People get addicted to that stuff waiting the next on-line game,
      texting, posting nonsense.

      it is a time filler and not very productive unless you are a trendy
      advertiser. It invades the entire life of those into it.

      I have accounts on both but I only use them to keep contact with my
      genealogical extended family.

      I do post photographs at Flickr. but that at least is WORK I have done,
      not just stuff passed around.

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2010
        jeff wrote:
        > People get addicted
        > It invades the entire life of those into it.
        > I only use them to keep contact with my
        > genealogical extended family.

        I fully agree. I used to be a menber for a short time, as some in my
        family don't do blogs and sometimes post interesting accounts and
        pictures there but I cancelled it - the drawbacks far outweighed all the
        advantages.

        I see similarities in other things. My daughter had a mobile phone when
        in first grade of primary school, a basic one to make calls with. She
        never had a gameboy or playstation, at least not from me or with my
        consent. My nephew, who is a successful professor, gave his daughter an
        Iphone at about the same age but forbade her to use the phone. How silly
        is that?